45hp HST tractor and a plow

/ 45hp HST tractor and a plow #1  

fishpick

Platinum Member
Tractor
L4760 & BX24
(I posted this in the NH forum - then realized it's more of a "general tractor question")

I have a TC45DA.

Question for the folks who own a similar sized tractor: How big of a plow does you tractor pull?

I have the opportunity to buy a 3 bottom plow or a 2 bottom plow. Want to go big - but not too big (of course I could always remove one bottom from the 3).

My TC45 has ag tires and the rear is loaded (it's 4WD - obviously). Soil around these parts is pretty sandy. Rocks are round and the biggest is no bigger than a Nerf football. Little BX24 Kubota pulled a 1 bottom in these parts with no issue at all unless things were wet and the R4's loaded up.

/ 45hp HST tractor and a plow #2  
I have a 33 PTO HP tractor (2810 Ford from 1987) that weighs about 4700 lbs. It has 13.6 by 28 inch Ag tires, loaded, 2WD. I pull a 2 bottom 14" plow with no problems. If the dirt is wet enough for the plow to go in, I can pull it okay. Our Franklin County, VA soil is rocky brownish red to red clay with a little sand mixed in. It gets very hard after 6 or 8 months of non tillage. I doubt if I could pull 3 bottoms. Hope this helps.

/ 45hp HST tractor and a plow #3  
I have a DX55 and recently purchased an old Ford 3 bottom 14" plow. I removed 1bottom, replaced the wear parts on the other 2, and it plows great. But I would not be able to plow with a 3 bottom in my mixed clay soil. At least not plow at the 4mph speed needed to roll the soil. Also, I am usually powing down a cover crop which doesn't help.

/ 45hp HST tractor and a plow #4  
If the condition and price are comparable buy the 3 bottom. As you have already stated, could remove one. With the right conditions 3will be easy. Years ago we used 3x16 behind a Ford 3000, done a good job except when the operator,me, got stupid with it,I was young and in a hurry. scrapironford

/ 45hp HST tractor and a plow #5  
I would go with the 3 bottom. I have a 43hp tractor with r4 tires and have pulled a 3-bottom 14in plow with little problem when the ground is just right. You have loaded r1 tires so you shouldn't have any problem.

/ 45hp HST tractor and a plow #6  
I have a 34hp Kubota and non-loaded R4's. It's about all the work the tractor wants pulling a 2 bottom 14" Dearborn. That is in clay soil with a good amount of root still in the ground (reclaiming an old overgrown field).