4640 price check

/ 4640 price check #1  

Clint S

Veteran Member
Tractor
555DTC Farmall 200
Went and looked at a 4640 cab with front blower and loader. 256 hours , good shape , not beat up , was kept inside . 2015 I think. What is a fair price?? They want 29000 for it. It will come fully serviced and ready. Cant find comps really. A newer model , brand new would be a bit over 40 I think. Also any issues with them. It is at a dealer I trust.
Thanks

/ 4640 price check #2  
Im guessing you mean the LS XR4046C? I didnt find anything for a 4640.

That seems a bit high to me. Brand new, my XR4145, with the improved LS engine ran $32K with a Woods tiller and Woods Box blade. I dont remember what the actual tractor was by itself.

That 4046 has low hours, for its age, but that model was discontinued in 2018. If you are in the market, I'd stay clear of the LS's with the Shibarua engine. Just my .02

/ 4640 price check
Yes 4046C . Used stuff with low hours goes for a premium here, especially the mid Hp. A new 4145c with front blower was low 40s

/ 4640 price check #4  
If you are in the market, I'd stay clear of the LS's with the Shibarua engine. Just my .02
This is the first post I can recall that recommends against the Shibarua engine. What specifically are the drawbacks to this engine?

Empirically, I've not seen anything that would lead me to conclude this is a bad engine.

/ 4640 price check #5  
This is the first post I can recall that recommends against the Shibarua engine. What specifically are the drawbacks to this engine?

Empirically, I've not seen anything that would lead me to conclude this is a bad engine.
Its not a bad engine, just bad emissions BS. I'm sure the engine is just fine.

When I started doing my research, before the XR41 series came out, I was sold on the XR40 series, with the Shibarua engine. However, people complained about how frequently it would go into regen mode. Then LS announced the 41 series, which is essentially the same tractor as the 40, but with the new and improved 3 cylinder LS made engine with 50hr regen cycle. Well, if its the same tractor with an improved engine, why would I ever want a XR40 series? My dealer agreed. Thats why the photo on the left is a XR41 instead of an XR40.

And that is why I recommend against the 40 series, when there is something 'better,' in my opinion, out there.

/ 4640 price check #6  
I don't know the difference between what you are looking at and my MT342HC, but tractor, loader, 2100 backhoe, third function and loaded tires was priced at $37,700 before trade in. supposed to be about $45,000 list.

/ 4640 price check #7  
I think the big difference is the OP is adding a front mount snowblower. That's a high dollar item.

To the OP, where did you get your quote? You have a couple of LS dealers within an hour or so North of you (Ranmar, and Sullys). Comparison shopping isn't a bad idea. I shopped both of them, and was very happy with both. I went with Sullys (closer to me being up North). They couldn't match the price of Ranmar (which was basement low) but they were willing to throw in free delivery for any warranty work that might arise, which was nice as I have no way of hauling it. Luckily, I haven't had to take them up on it in 1.5 years.

I will second Avenger. I heard the same thing about the frequent regen on the Shibaura engine. That would be a deal breaker for me, just due to the annoyance/hassle of it. I have the same XR4100 series as him. I always run at 2,000+ RPM. Mine only regens on the 50 hour mark (which is automatic if it hasn't done one on its own already).