4720 3point hitch and PTO don't work

/ 4720 3point hitch and PTO don't work #1  

Hendey T&G

Tractor
2007 Branson 4720
My new to me 2007 4720 has a few problems but still works except for the 3 point hitch and the pto.
Thanks to ptsg I have the service manuals but still need some help. I don't have an operators manual so I'm not exactly sure how to work things.
I think this tractor was really abused so there is no telling what has been done to it.
I have opened the stop valve for the 3 point hitch and checked to make sure the hydraulic line is running back where it should be.
I can raise the lift arms by hand and they move all the way up with little resistance but with a ratcheting sound, then they will drop back down by themselves.
Moving what I think is the operating lever, to the right of the seat closest to the fender, nothing happens. There is a broken linkage to what I think is something to do with the draft control.
The big nut on the bolt that runs through the top link spring is missing.
Could it be as simple as a stuck valve somewhere not letting the fluid pass?

The PTO runs all the time but at a slow speed, maybe 150 rpm. I'm not sure where the control for that is. There is a broken linkage there that is to the hi-lo speed change I think.
That linkage is sitting on top of the seat rail in the third picture. It's been welded and broken again.
There is a lever that moves against 2 electric switches that just flops around, so that doesn't seem right.
The service manual shows many electric items related to the PTO, safety cut-offs etc. Could it be one of those?
I do have the 2 stage clutch if that matters.

Thanks for any insights.

IMG_6944.JPG
IMG_6942.JPG
IMG_6943.JPG

/ 4720 3point hitch and PTO don't work #2  
That tractor definitely had an hard life. All the broken/missing stuff on the draft control will affect the 3 pt but should still get some movement at least.

When you tried the 3 pt, was the backhoe on the tractor and the lines for the backhoe connected? Because the backhoe on most tractors cuts the flow to the 3 pt hitch, so it won't work.

Also, with the backhoe out of the tractor, the lines on the tractor side must be connected together so it doesn't dead-head the pump and feeds the 3 pt hitch.

/ 4720 3point hitch and PTO don't work
That makes sense ptsg. I'll pull the backhoe lines and try it. Thanks

/ 4720 3point hitch and PTO don't work #4  
Thanks seville. I either get a error message or it says files do not exist. I'll poke around a little more in that thread and see if I can find something.

Thanks again ptsg, you nailed it. With the backhoe unhooked the lift arms work.

/ 4720 3point hitch and PTO don't work #7  
Cool! That's a good sign. With the draft control linkage broken, the 3 pt may be all over the place though but at least you got it to move. Now off to figure out the rest of the mess. 😅

I took a quick look at the parts manual yesterday and looks like that it's missing a washer and two nuts for that threaded stud with the big spring.

The linkage on the draft control, at first glance, should be just a matter of welding the pin back on the top link bracket, however the top link bracket has the lock pin on, so if you don't need draft control and don't want to mess with, you can pretty much leave it as is.

Looks like those nuts are 16mm x 2.
So far the only 3 point hitch implement I have is a sickle bar mower and I don't think an inop draft control will matter for that.
But a wonky PTO will matter.

Last edited: