Flail Mower 48" flail mower, anyone recognize it?

/ 48" flail mower, anyone recognize it? #1  

hawkeye08

Elite Member
I am going to look at a 48" flail mower for sale, brand unknown. Supposedly it turns over fine and is complete.

anyone recognize the brand/model? thanks.

Attachments

• 023.JPG
    023.JPG
    326.8 KB · Views: 1,672
  • 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    331.9 KB · Views: 587
   / 48" flail mower, anyone recognize it? #4  
Is that a good brand?

Don't know about that model but Mott is/was a top notch flail manufacturer. I may be mistaken but I believe they are part of Alamo now.

By the way, the photos show a nice finish flail in good condition. Check out that the gearbox works and you'd be ready to go.

/ 48" flail mower, anyone recognize it?
I had a look at it, pretty light weight, decent shape, some missing blades, at least one bracket broken off (tab that blades bolt to)... single v-belt, PTO shaft stuck, possible paint job to cover rust?

I am looking for one that will handle some brush, needs to offset to cover at least one wheel. Decent price, just not what I needed..

Thanks for the comments.

/ 48" flail mower, anyone recognize it? #6  
I am going to look at a 48" flail mower for sale, brand unknown. Supposedly it turns over fine and is complete.

anyone recognize the brand/model? thanks.

It looks like a Mott flail mower

It is a Mott finish knive type flail mower with 52 stations (14-14-14) and 104 knives with the long grass slicer knives-4"+ posssibly and parts are available from flailmaster as it is 540 R.P.M.

If it has a broken knive station (2 grass slicer knive mount) you will need to remove the two sets of knives behind the broken one to be able to use it with out having a bearing failure to maintain rotor balance.

The grass rotor will shred brush and keep it down for you once you have it knocked down.

You will not make a mistake in purchasing it as it will handle the brush mowing as long as you mow slowly the first few times to knock it all down.

The blades are not that expensive to replace either.

/ 48" flail mower, anyone recognize it? #7  
I had a look at it, pretty light weight, decent shape, some missing blades, at least one bracket broken off (tab that blades bolt to)... single v-belt, PTO shaft stuck, possible paint job to cover rust?

I am looking for one that will handle some brush, needs to offset to cover at least one wheel. Decent price, just not what I needed..

Thanks for the comments.

It will handle brush, I use our 30 year old finish mower for brush all mowing season, just be sure to remove the belt guard, replace the belt, grease the pulley end bearing and rotor bearings every time you mow with a few pumps of greasde and enjoy.

thanks Leonz. While the price was good, and the mower probably good, No offset and I really don't want to work on 1000' of fence line cleanup by backing up and pulling forward 4' feet at a time. Perhaps the price will come down and I'll get it just so I can say I have a flail mower. :D

/ 48" flail mower, anyone recognize it? #9  
I would suggest you buy it anyway as it
will provide you with a higher horse power
per foot of cut with greater cutting force
per foot while mowing brush.

Send me the money and I will bring it home gladly.