4in1 bucket hyd hose problem 400cx fel

/ 4in1 bucket hyd hose problem 400cx fel #1  

Cidertom

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4520, 2305 Aktive snow-trac ST4
Greetings All:
I seem to remember a post about this, but searching didn't turn up anything other than my other problem with hyd hoses on this bucket.

This is more of an FYI to 4in1 owners than anything. Check the top hydro fitting where it enters the cylinder. Mine has a large hex shaped 90 and the points of the hex are being deformed by hitting the bucket and the cylinder. This impact broke the swivel coupling. DTAC had nothing when my dealer checked. My fix is going to be filing down the points of the hex to give better clearance. There is plenty of metal there so taking some off won't hurt the strenght, but should take care of the problem.

TEW

/ 4in1 bucket hyd hose problem 400cx fel #2  
That was my post Cidertom.

I own a 1420 with a 4in1, and broke both hoses within about two weeks of each other. Piss poor design on JD's part, that one.

OEM hose wasn't readilly available, so I had a replacement (s) made up by a local Parker shop. My new hoses don't have that hex, and won't ever get close enough to the back of the bucket to ever impact it. Another issue with the hose is that it is a "jump size" as explained to me by the Parker tech. The fitting on one end is larger than the hose.

FWIW- I had stopped into KC Canary, my local dealer asking if they had ever experienced this particular failure. The service writer and mechanic both looked at each other with this Huh??? kind of expression. Guy said thad they had just done one THAT DAY! He further said that it was extremely odd coincidence, considering that they sell almost no 4in1 buckets. I should add that my tractor came from a different dealer 200 miles away. Had I bought it there, I'd have had them repair it.

The problem you are experiencing is a recurring issue with that bucket, and if JD doesn't know it yet, they should. I would be reluctant to spend too much time on what should be their problem.

There was another similar thread that had pictures of what appeared to be an improved 4in1, which had a recess stamped into that fitting area. We never were 100% certain that it was in fact a JD bucket, but were pretty sure that it was. If so, JD identified the problem and updated the model. They sure don't do that without reason.

Jon

/ 4in1 bucket hyd hose problem 400cx fel
Thanks. I thought I remembered the thread, but didn't see it in the list when I searched.

The replacement I had made ($25) at a local shop has the exact same fitting as the OEM.

I'm going to print this thread and take to dealer.

/ 4in1 bucket hyd hose problem 400cx fel #5  
I'm the one who posted the pix of the JD 4in1 with the indents stamped into the back of the bucket. I've used that bucket a lot over the year, mostly picking up large rocks and often curling the bucket back against the stop with the heavy load, and there is no sign of impact on the hydraulic fittings.

My dealer did eventually get back to me, but all he could say was that my bucket was a stock JD model, shipped to him from the Canadian warehouse in Ontario. I can't find any numbers stamped onto it anywhere...

Tom.