Buying Advice 5 acres with a lot of trees

/ 5 acres with a lot of trees #11  
Good info so far - all Kubota - went and built out the b23 b26 and bx25d on the site Can I expect better pricing from the dealer? Doesn't show a mechanical thumb option on the BX - that's an excellent add on

For your needs you should consider the one increment heavier, more stable, Kubota L2501/HST
Dealers typically discount somewhat from MSRP. If you buy implements with the tractor, potential discounts increase.

You should plan on visiting the Sunbelt Ag Expo in Moultire, GA., October 18-20. Every tractor supplier and every factory rep is there. You can climb on 500 tractors in one afternoon. Moultrie is the big SE ag show.

Last edited:
   / 5 acres with a lot of trees #12  
Kubota has 50% market share in small tractors. Deere has 25% market share in small tractors. All other brands combined have 25% market share.
I've seen these % posted before and I'm curious where these figures are coming from. Who says ? From where?

/ 5 acres with a lot of trees
I went to Moultrie last year - might be able to get there this year - can I buy onsite?

Sorry

/ 5 acres with a lot of trees #15  
Looking to buy a sub or compact TLB I have 5 acres - 3 acres of forest that I am thinning out. My wife has stored up more wood chips than you can imagine, I need to spread the chips over an acre, also move dirt around, dig up small stumps, and channel water off my property. No need for a mower option. Not sure how badly I need a back hoe, but want one for when I heed it. Looked at the 1025/6 Deere, the Kubota (didn't like as much), online looked at the MF CG and Kiota. I have JD, Kubota, MF, Kiota, and New Holland dealers within 30 minutes of me. Have looked at a a JD 670 and would have bought it but it was geared not HST, too much work, especially for my wife. Looking at 3038e that would work under 20K but it is 500 miles away, a little nervous buying used where I can't touch it.

I appreciate any input - haven't had a tractor in 14 years since I sold my golf course and those were very old with brand names no longer available.

I have enjoyed reading the forum

Locate a used L39 in fair shape. It is a quite small for a larger powerful compact tractor

[Who makes an L39

/ 5 acres with a lot of trees #18  
gjuster,

Here's my thoughts for what it's worth. First, buy one size bigger than you think you'll need. I bought a Kubota BX25 and love it but hindsight says I should have bought a B series.

Next, for removal of the trees, either go with a rented mini-excavator or buy a stump grinder from Woodland Mills ( Portable Sawmills, Wood Chippers & Forestry Equipment - Woodland Mills ). Can you take out trees with the backhoe on a SCUT? Yes but it is a question of time, e.g. 4 hrs on a BH versus 10 mins on a mini-ex - no kidding.

One of the issues you run into with SCUTs is finding used attachments. There are tons of 6ft brush hogs on craigslist but hardly ever do you find a 4ft one. That said, be prepared to pay for new.

I'm throwing you a link to my thoughts on buying a new tractor from a while back: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...ce-first-tractor-post4413245.html#post4413245 Post #15.

Hope that helps

I want to thank everyone for there input and help. I ended up with a used 2016 JD 1025R TLB with upgraded hydraulics and 42 hours on it. Good deal and good dealer. Wanted the Massey 1710 but the dealer lost me. I'll report after a month of use.

/ 5 acres with a lot of trees #20  
Looking to buy a sub or compact TLB I have 5 acres - 3 acres of forest that I am thinning out. My wife has stored up more wood chips than you can imagine, I need to spread the chips over an acre, also move dirt around, dig up small stumps, and channel water off my property. No need for a mower option. Not sure how badly I need a back hoe, but want one for when I heed it. Looked at the 1025/6 Deere, the Kubota (didn't like as much), online looked at the MF CG and Kiota. I have JD, Kubota, MF, Kiota, and New Holland dealers within 30 minutes of me. Have looked at a a JD 670 and would have bought it but it was geared not HST, too much work, especially for my wife. Looking at 3038e that would work under 20K but it is 500 miles away, a little nervous buying used where I can't touch it.

I appreciate any input - haven't had a tractor in 14 years since I sold my golf course and those were very old with brand names no longer available.

I have enjoyed reading the forum

Well i have also have five acres of woods. I bought a Mahindra 1538 TLB but find that you may be better off with a stump grinder rather than a backhoe. The stump grinders I saw at the time didn't make any sense at about 6K for the limited use so I bought the hoe but later found a stump grinder that makes more sense for a owner operator type. If I'd seen this first I may not have bought the backhoe. Still the backhoe has a lot more uses than a stump grinder but a stump grinder can't be beat for what it does.
At six grand, a stump grinder doesn't make a whole lotta sense for a small land owner but for two grand it does. WG24 Stump Grinder | Woodland Mills US

Definately get the FEL, my tractor would be almost useless without it. Look at PTO power before buying a tractor or a stump grinder.