5' cutter fits?

/ 5' cutter fits? #1  

s1120

Veteran Member
Tractor
87 Ingersoll 444, 84 Ingersoll224/'44 GreavlyL/60'sGreavlyL/49 Ford 8N
5\' cutter fits?

I am shopping for a brush cutter for my "new" 8n, and have mostly settled on a 5ft cutter. Now my only fear is that this is my first real tractor, but it will not be my last. Now if the cutter lasts, how will it limit me on my next tractor? What kind of size range tractor will the 5 footer fit on? Now mind you any tractor I get would probably be used, and I don’t have a ton of land, so I would not get anything that big.

/ 5' cutter fits? #2  
Re: 5\' cutter fits?

It's going to work with any tractor that has 25 PTO HP (or more) and a (Category 1) 3 Point Hitch. If you got a larger tractor (with Cat 2 or 3 type 3PH), you may have to bush the upper and lower links.

I use a 48" cutter behind a 16 PTO HP tractor in medium brush with little problem. If it was just field grass, I'd try a 60" cutter.

/ 5' cutter fits? #3  

I'm pulling a 5ft cutter with the 1050. (33 pto hp) I could probably pull a 6ft but I got a good deal on this one and it cuts a little over 20 acres with no problems.

/ 5' cutter fits? #4  

how many horses is a 8N ? my papaw has one and was wondering he's had his for i think he said 40 yrs or so only tractor he's ever had..

/ 5' cutter fits? #5  

Re 8N. I had one for 25 years and a 5 ft worked great for me and you wouldn't want anything any larger on the 8N.

/ 5' cutter fits? #6  

Paul,

The only 'limitation' you might experience is not being able to cover your tracks with a bigger tractor, if that's a real concern to you when you're brush hogging. Anything you get that's Category 1 ought to be fine as far as attaching you bruch hog. If you get a dramatically larger machine, you'll probably want something larger just because you'll be able to use it.

/ 5' cutter fits?

Gary, I don't think I would get anything THAT much bigger. I realy don't think I will be able to step up, and get a new/almost new compact eather, so it would probably be old iron. Probably something along the lines of a MF135. But hey, I just got the N, so I am happy!

/ 5' cutter fits? #8  

"I just got the N, so I am happy! "

Glad you're happy!!!

But since that 8N is kind of old, you might want to get an over-running clutch for machine.
I've never operated an 8N, but there have been a number of threads on TBN that discuss the cutter "pushing" the tractor as it winds down (when you push your clutch in to stop). Per the threads, this can result in inadvertant tractor movement when you might not want it.

I'm sure one of the more knowledgible TBNer's will jump in to explain this more completely.

BTW, what brand cutter did you buy?

/ 5' cutter fits?

<font color="red"> BTW, what brand cutter did you buy? </font>

Don't know. I have not gotten one yet. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have been looking at the King Kutters, and they look good for the price, But also looked at one of the internatials, and they looked REAL sturdy. So I guess it's just what jumps out at me, when I have the money in my hand. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

BTW the ORC is on my list of things to get with the cutter.

/ 5' cutter fits? #10  

on the 8n or any tractor that doesnt have live pto or a built in over run clutch the PTO runs off the transmission. Then you clutch it you disconect power from the engine to the transmission but the stump jumper and blades will drive the tractor unmercifully. The only way to stop is to knock it out of gear. I had a frriend that I found him a tractor/ 8N and i used it for him mowing some privett trees. The next week he took the overrunn clutch off for some reason and didnt tell me. well i ended up goin through a 10 foot wide blackberry patch 7 feet tall. There wasnts many places on me that wasnt scratched. He got on it the next day and went through the big ditch and up the bank almost into the road then he deided it was time to put the clutch back on it.