5' or 6' skid steer mounted brush buster?

/ 5' or 6' skid steer mounted brush buster? #1  

tmc_31

Gold Member
Tractor
NH TN70D, NH L190
Good morning all,

I am about to acquire a brush buster (generic term) for my skid steer. This will not be a super heavy duty machine, more for knocking down brush than trees. My skid steer is a NH L190 with an enclosed cab. I have rented these units before including the monster ones so I have some limited experience with them. All that I have rented have been 6 footers.

My dilemma is settling on a 5' unit or a 6' unit. The 6' mower would let me mow out the wheel tracks on my skid and would make mowing faster (maybe). The 5' mower might be easier to maneuver in the tight areas where there are lots of closely spaced trees.

Interested in your thoughts,

Thanks,
Tim

/ 5' or 6' skid steer mounted brush buster? #2  
The mower/skidsteer forward speed is going to depend solely on the thickness/density of the brush.

The small a hydraulic brush mower is the more able you will be to maintain the revolutions per minute required to mow.
For the money and the work involved it your money would be better spent on a hydraulic driven flail mower.

By investing in a hydraulic driven flail mower you will be able to recut your brush and see it dissolve into the soil faster.

If your not concerned about that and simply wish to knock it down then invest in the hydraulic driven rotary cutter.

Keep in mind that the rotary cutter will throw things if the rotary cutter hits them and. the debris can be thrown hundreds of feet if you do not have occupied homes or businesses or roads within 750 feet of where you are mowing you may be safe BUT keep in mind that a very small object let a lone a rotary cutter blade can be thrown hundreds of feet at a very high velocity and will penetrate cars and a homes exterior walls.

This happened to me where the absentee landlord that owns the property that surrounds my property on three sides hired a logger with a log skidder mounted forestry mower broke one of my garage windows from 300 feet away when he hit a rock with the rotary cutter.

/ 5' or 6' skid steer mounted brush buster? #3  
Check out this one with a removable front wheel and hinged SSQA plate: Tree Terminator Rotary Mower

tree-terminator-rotary-mower-Hinge.jpg

I have an early version:

PA010003.JPG
PA010010.JPG

/ 5' or 6' skid steer mounted brush buster?
Thanks for the replies guys

Tim