50-56 found bad solenoid, how do I remove it?

/ 50-56 found bad solenoid, how do I remove it? #1  

a5t1

Silver Member
Tractor
Toolcat 5600
Friends,

Had a 50-56 error which lead me to finding a solution here - a solenoid on the steering and cargo box block is bad (almost shorting to zero) causing a fuse to blow, causing the error. My question is, how do you remove the solenoid? The nut is loose but it just spins. The top (or bottom) nut that holds the shaft into the block is not spinning. Is there some sort of trick? Nut 17 is what is spinning loose, but 22 is not spinning. I cannot remove 21 because the 17 nut doesn't seem to do anything when it's loose.

1698967220212.png

/ 50-56 found bad solenoid, how do I remove it? #2  
Did you try prying up the nut #17. Then #21 should just pull off then you can change the solenoid.

/ 50-56 found bad solenoid, how do I remove it? #3  
When you are turning the nut, can you see the threaded portion of stem 22 turning within the nut? If not, the nut may be striped and pulling up while turning may help. If the stud is turning with the nut but 22 hex is not unscrewing, then the stem of 22 would have to be broke between nut and block.??? They are normally a very simple thing to work on so just see what is turning with the nut.

/ 50-56 found bad solenoid, how do I remove it?
Thank you - I removed the other solenoid to see how it was put together. Then I realized it was an aluminum nut. In short, I figured the nut must have been damaged or stripped. I pried on the solenoid and was able to get the nut off. Verified threads are good on the stud by using other nut. Ordered two new nuts from bobcat (to keep one on hand). Thanks all.

/ 50-56 found bad solenoid, how do I remove it?
Also - FWIW, on the toolcat the block is mounted upside down so you can't really see the nut/shaft which made this a bit harder to figure out!