5085M compared to 5083E. Input from owners, please

/ 5085M compared to 5083E. Input from owners, please #1  

Bigfoot62

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5090M; JD 5085M; JD 5083E; NH TN70A; Ford 2600
I have a 2010 5085M with 700 hours on it. It looks like I may have the opportunity to buy a 2012 5083E with about 100 hours on it.

So, here's the real question:
Will there be enough difference to tell?

Just for clarification, MOST of my tractor time is spent in the hay fields. The 5085M does everything that I need it to. I feel that the E is really close to the same tractor, minus some of the "bells and whistles." I was telling a friend of mine that I'm looking for another cab tractor. He said, "well, why don't you buy mine?" Last year, he sold most of his land and all of his tractors and hay equipment, except for this E series.
I love my M with all the conveniences like the radial tires and the electro-hydraulic 3PH.
This E is 4WD with a cab and loader, 9-speed Power Reverser.
So, assuming he gives me a decent price, are there any reasons why this wouldn't be a good addition to my stable?

/ 5085M compared to 5083E. Input from owners, please #2  
I love my '13 5083E. No problems at all...

/ 5085M compared to 5083E. Input from owners, please #3  
I like my e. Except it has a 12x12 power reverser. The bias tires aren't a huge drawback and the mechanical seat isn't strong enough for me. Once I got my ac straightened out and a scv fixed it has been a good tractor. I def think you will prefer the m but I don't think you will hate the e.

/ 5085M compared to 5083E. Input from owners, please #4  
Mine is a 2011.

/ 5085M compared to 5083E. Input from owners, please #5  
This E is 4WD with a cab and loader, 9-speed Power Reverser.
So, assuming he gives me a decent price, are there any reasons why this wouldn't be a good addition to my stable?

Since you would use it for haying I would make sure the gearing is something you could live with. Nothing like running hours on end wishing for a higher or lower gear, that would drive me nuts. Maybe he would let you use it with your haying equipment to be sure.

/ 5085M compared to 5083E. Input from owners, please
Since you would use it for haying I would make sure the gearing is something you could live with. Nothing like running hours on end wishing for a higher or lower gear, that would drive me nuts. Maybe he would let you use it with your haying equipment to be sure.

That was my bad on the transmission. It's a 12-speed, not a 9. (and my 5M has a 16)

/ 5085M compared to 5083E. Input from owners, please
Looks like I'm pulling the trigger on the 5083E.
My buddy gave me a price that I can't refuse.

/ 5085M compared to 5083E. Input from owners, please #8  
Awesome, let us know how it turns out. Aside from minor issues, mine has served me well.