510C hydraulic noise

/ 510C hydraulic noise #1  

GoingHawgWyld

Tractor
530C
I have this 510C that has developed a noise in the hydraulic system. All fluids and filters changed. Have not checked the screen yet. When the tractor starts and as long as you are not using any implements there is a loud constant growling noise. As soon as you fully open any implement valve, backhoe, stabilizers, loader etc. the noise pretty much stops. Quiet as a mouse. Driving does not affect the noise. I used a stethoscope and listened to the main pump on the front of the crank and the other pump there and they appear to be quiet. With a noise like that I would have expected them to be noisy and the cause. What other things can cause that noise when controls are open center? You hear it louder in the enclosed cab that you do outside. Just trying to give you all the info I am seeing... Thanks for any input/thoughts...

/ 510C hydraulic noise
I am thinking out loud here. When I look at the hydraulics flow chart and being this noise happens only when there is no use of any of the hydraulic implements am I thinking correctly that the noise must be coming from the charge side since that is at a low flow state when operating a valve? Or since I hear it in the cab mostly could it be the pressure control valve making the noise?

/ 510C hydraulic noise #3  
Welcome to TBN
I think pressure control valve isn't the culprit because if hyd system is similar to AG closed center hyd systems pressure control valve is only utilized on high pressure part of hyd system. PS: my knowledge of JD ind equipment is very limited due to the fact I was employed by an ""AG only"" JD dealership

/ 510C hydraulic noise #4  
If everything is functioning normally, I would suspect a bad pump coupler. Item 2 is a rubber coupler between drive discs that can wear out. Can also have loose splines in driveshaft #4. 510c pump coupler.PNG

/ 510C hydraulic noise #5  
jd110
Have you witnessed the newer type drive coupler such as you pictured causing this noise similar to the older drive coupler with the round bushings? The reason I ask is my 4255 has over 11,000 hrs on original drive coupler with very little nose.
Thanks,Jim

/ 510C hydraulic noise
Since the noise is intermittent would it be safe to assume the drive coupler would not be the cause? Yesterday I ran it and did some more checking and it could hear and feel the high pressure side of the lines at the pressure control valve were vibrating/pulsing considerably more on the input side than the output. I could make the vibration/pulsing stop if I moved the bucket up and down at full open. Guess I am stuck on what would make the system only make this noise when not using implements but stop when I do? If I understand the manual this is an open center system? So only makes the noise during an open center configuration.

/ 510C hydraulic noise #7  
Tractordata states a JD 510C has closed center hyds & I think from viewing parts catalog 2065 that the 510C hyd pump is a closed center pump very similar to JD ag tractors with closed center hyd's.

Noisy closed center hyd's correction requires some very good thorough diagnostic procedures by someone with a good understanding of how the CC hyd system should operate IE not a person that is just a parts replacer.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    112.8 KB · Views: 114
   / 510C hydraulic noise
So a Deere Tech came out today and looked over the tractor. Measured the pressures and tested cycle times. Changed the hydraulic filter and cleaned the screen in the Priority valve. Still made the noise. He started disconnecting various hydraulic systems and completely removed everything from the system except the priority valve and main pump first. Still made the noise. He then disconnected the priority valve by blocking off the high pressure feed to it and wallah... No noise. So he felt there is a good chance that it was the culprit. He did caution that he was not certain 100% but recommended a rebuild. So he removed it and will get a estimate tomorrow from the bench tech... Fingers crossed....

/ 510C hydraulic noise
No issues found with the priority valve. Put new o-rings in and re-installed. Noise is still there. He suggested that since they can find nothing wrong and it is not affecting the tractor performance to continue operating it and keep an eye on it for any changes. He was not very familiar with the 510C so he said maybe that noise is nothing abnormal? The saga continues...

/ 510C hydraulic noise #10  
I agree with your technician if hyd's are operating as it should without oil getting hot then attempting to locate noise is similar to looking for a ghost.