Tractor Sizing 54" or 62" Does size matter?

/ 54" or 62" Does size matter? #1  

Brack

Tractor
JD 2210
54\" or 62\" Does size matter?

I will be buying a 2210 this summer/fall but am up in the air in terms of the MMM size I should get. Neither time mowing nor cost are concerns; I am most interested in quality of cut. One dealer has recommended the 54" for less "work" for the tractor. Another gives the nod to the 62" deck for trimming closer to trees and tighter radius. Everything else being equal, which deck size do members recommend? Does the quality of cut vary between the two? Thanks so much.

/ 54" or 62" Does size matter? #2  
Re: 54\" or 62\" Does size matter?

Brack,

I'm pretty sure the 54" deck is the same or is very similar to the one on my old 425. If that is the case, then although the cut quality was good, the 62C wins hands down. Just a few thoughts on other reasons to go with the bigger deck. First, the overlap is better suited to the wheelbase/width of the tractor. Second, it will give you an uncut circle of 36" -- that's pretty maneuverable for a big tractor (yeah I know, you guys with the big CUT's or Utility tractors might dispute that /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif) And third, it will push the ROPS further away from trees etc, which IMHO, is the real maneuveribility issue with the 2210. As for straining the tractor, the 2210 has enough power to engage the 62C at idle! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Post when you make up your mind.

/ 54" or 62" Does size matter? #3  

One vote for 62". The quality of the cut should be equal regardless of size. As far as the smaller deck "working" the tractor less that might be true if you're cutting 8" off in one pass, but for regular mowing there won't be much of a difference. Comments like that are usually from dealers desperate to sell something that won't move which is usually the smaller attachments for a given tractor. IMO if the tractor couldn't handle a 62" Deere wouldn't offer it.

/ 54" or 62" Does size matter?

Thanks so much for your comments, thoughts and ideas. I was wondering if one dealer was trying to "move" something. I had been thinking that maybe the 54" generated a little more vacuum to lift the grass better, but I guess this isn't the case. It sure seems to me that since I'm not needing to save time mowing or worried about the additional cost that the 62" deck would be the best. It is just nice to hear from people who own and use the tractor that the larger deck does a nice job for a finishing cut and allows you "stand-off" from trees which I guess you find out the first time you mow with it.

Thanks again for the great advice. Anything I can learn here the better my final purchase will be. I'm getting very itchy to pull the trigger soon.

/ 54" or 62" Does size matter? #5  

I think the newer 54" vs 62" both are of the newer improved designs (had a newer 54" on my former X585) perform equally in terms of cut quality. I purchased the 54" at that time because of a limitation on one of my trailers, but now that's not an issue and would recommend the 62" which I have on my 2210.

I think the dealer is pushing the 54" deck, because HE/SHE has it in stock and can't get rid of it; reason for saying that, I'm very close to sales within the 2210 series and the vast majority are sold with 62" decks. Also, I think if you purchase the 54" deck and later decide to trade or sell it will cost you plenty because most people want the largest deck possible on that machine.

/ 54" or 62" Does size matter? #6  

I am like the rest and do not think it makes any difference to the tractor what mower is below it but I will say that it would be worth your time to measure some of your clearances between trees and such in your yard. I have the 54" and am glad for it. I trim with a push mower so the smaller mowing radius is no big deal. If I had the bigger deck it would be more work for me because I could not get into some areas of my yard with it. That said I only mow around an acre between my fathers and my yard.

/ 54" or 62" Does size matter? #7  

62" would also be my vote providing it fits where you want it to. I had the 54" on my X585 before trading to the 2210 and due to trailer constrants and cost, I stuck with the 54". It takes me around 1 1/2 hours to do the 2 acres I'm cutting now. That Yanmar diesel hardly knows it's there /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ 54" or 62" Does size matter? #8  

Brack,

I have had both mower decks. I had a 485 with a 54" and a 595 with the 62". I found the cut quality equivalent. Interestingly, the mowing time was not too much different. The 595 would mow faster, but I think that was due to the extra power and ability to go slightly faster through deeper grass. Unless your lawn is very large, I do not think there would be much difference in time mowing between the two (this I definitely discovered). My 62" howled incessantly and was much louder than was the 54", but I hear JD has a kit to lower gearbox whine. This is a good thing, as the mower deck I had was BY FAR the loudest I have ever used. As far as power to turn a mower goes, I think the opposite from conventional wisdom would apply here. One should not think would a 2210 have the power to run a 62" deck, but rather would a 54" fully utilize the power a 2210 has? If this criteria is used, the 62" would be a better choice, but I think there are not oceans of difference between the two.

John M

/ 54" or 62" Does size matter? #9  

One easy way to see the difference is the deck height behind center of the blades. The older 48/54 decks were VERY nice, but lacked volume and blade overlap. The latest decks have addressed this, but I have not yet used one. Early decks look like they are about 50% as tall in back where the later ones appear to be near uniform height.

I have heavy grass with good moisture content (wet) and the 54" unit likes to build up underneath and also stripe when turning. Clening it after every mowing will help, but not entirely.

If I understand correctly, the newer series has a 54" also which would be what jmcseven is comparing. Your dealer may be well past stock on the old 54" units, but you never know if it made the same design changes that the X series did...
Additionally, Deere said not to cut the grass to less than 2/3 it's full length. In other words if you cut at 2", do it by the time it hits 3" tall. Easier said than done around here...

/ 54" or 62" Does size matter? #10  

The wider the mower the farther it extends out past the wheels.
The farther it sticks past the wheels the closer you can mow parallel to ditches.
The closer you mow along ditches the less weeds there are to trim.
The fewer weeds to trim the less sweat on your brow.