5410 lighting issues

/ 5410 lighting issues #1  

Lavanv

Tractor
John Deere 5410
I have a 2000 john deere 5410 with some lighting issues. Dont know if they are related or individual.
1. Dash light only works in 5th position on switch. (1st being off)
2. Rear work light will not come on. I have 11.5 volts at connector. I've connected bulb straight to battery and it works but when plugged to connector it wont come on. Took volt meter and attached jumpers to bulb and touched connector, I lose voltage. Remove jumper and voltage appears.
3. Light switch and input wire to switch melted. Input wire pulling 9.98 Amps when in work position with no rear work light working. And 15 Amps when in 4th position on switch.( high beams and flashers). I've cleaned grounds at frame and battery. Then moved frame ground to negative post of battery. No change. Are there any more frame ground connections?
Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

/ 5410 lighting issues #2  
Lavanv
:welcome: to TBN

No answers for your lighting issues. But sounds like you are already hot on the trail to figure it out..

Hope someone picks up on the trail you are on, or suggests a better one, and can help you out.

/ 5410 lighting issues #3  
Go carefully through your wiring. It sounds like the insulation has worn through at some point or a rodent had lunch at your expense. You could have corrosion or poor connections at some connectors but that ten amp draw with no lights lit concerns me.

/ 5410 lighting issues #4  
What I do to find a short that is causing a fuse to blow is stick in a light bulb (rigged on a blown fuse) in the fuse slot. If the bulb lights up, there is a short to ground. Gives a visual aid when moving wires around to find the one shorting out. Saves testing with a new fuse, just to learn there is still a short.

Even tho no blown fuse has been reported by the OP, if a small drain is suspected, then the same trick may be helpful in locating the wire that is the culprit.

Hope you can track it down, whatever it is.

Attachments

• Short_tester.jpg
    Short_tester.jpg
    461.9 KB · Views: 199
   / 5410 lighting issues #5  
I like the bulb across a blown fuse trick. I'd never thought of that one. The severity of the current leak will show in the amount of illumination while the bulb serves to limit current flow in the circuit. That's one I can hang onto. Thank you.

/ 5410 lighting issues
I think I have resolved lighting issues.
1. Replaced diode that controls dash lights. Dash lights now work in intended positions.
2. Found lose connection at fuse for rear work light. It's working now.
3. Found lose connections at fuses for headlights. Ohmed all wires in headlight circuit and found no shorts as well as found no voltage across ground. Did some math on amp draw for circuit and it matched. So hopefully problems have been solved. Thanks to everyone for their help.

/ 5410 lighting issues #7  
I think I have resolved lighting issues.
1. Replaced diode that controls dash lights. Dash lights now work in intended positions.
2. Found lose connection at fuse for rear work light. It's working now.
3. Found lose connections at fuses for headlights. Ohmed all wires in headlight circuit and found no shorts as well as found no voltage across ground. Did some math on amp draw for circuit and it matched. So hopefully problems have been solved. Thanks to everyone for their help.
Hi, I’m new to this forum and have noticed I have the same problem as you have described with the dash lights only working on 5th position. Where do I find this diode and how easy was it to replace? Also the hazard warning lights are on in all settings except position 3 I’m not sure if it’s related but if anyone has information on this that would be great.
thanks in advance

/ 5410 lighting issues #8  
Position 3 does not activate warning lights, only Bright headlights and rear flood light.