544 International

/ 544 International #1  

someguy

Tractor
None yet
What would be a good price for a 544 International. I believe this tractor was made between 1968 - 1973. The engine and transmission have both been rebuilt recently, less than 10 hours on both. Needs paint. I have found one for about $5700. It's not mine yet.

Thanks

/ 544 International #2  
Is it the diesel version, does it have a FEL, good rubbers? If you can answer yes to all 3 than it is a fair price but still no big bargain. Shy away from the gas jobs unless he drops the price to $2000 and even then......

/ 544 International
It's got a gas engine, a FEL, tires have lots a wear.

Thanks for the response.

/ 544 International #5  
The price is high. should be 4-5K for a good running one. I would be leery of the rebuilt stuff as well with only 10 hours on it.

As to the Gas vs diesel thing, it sort of depends on how much you are going to use it. For occasional use gas is fine, but if you work it all day day after day diesel is much cheaper. My thinking on this is that the diesel tractors cost more, even the used ones, and with the price being so much lower I can afford to buy quite a bit of gas. Plus I like the gas starting right up in the winter.

The cost thing is sort of like have an old car that gets 20 mpg and thinking about buying a new car just because it gets 30 mpg. I gan buy a LOT of gas for a minimum of $15,000 for a new car.

Don't get me wrong I am not anti diesel, just like the old gassers.

/ 544 International
Thanks for the responses. This has helped me quite a bit...

I know the seller, he's my dad, and the mechanic has done some other work for him and he's always had good luck. I was looking for information to ensure that dad wasn't trying to 'give the farm away' so to speak, and trying to sell it to me too cheaply.

I know most of his costs, $500 for tractor and about $5200 in engine and trasmission work. Had the transmission not failed after the engine, he would have had a good deal going, as it is, he's lost his shirt on this one.

I figure that instead of financing a new NH 30hp boomer, I buy this from him for what he's got in it. He's not under, I've got more tractor than I need and still have something left to buy implements with. When it comes time for me to sell or trade it, it's got more time on the rebuild and worth more than salvage again.

Thanks again

/ 544 International #8  
That puts a whole new paint job on things. I was thinking you were buying it from some shmoe you never met!

/ 544 International #9  
<font color="blue">I know the seller, he's my dad </font>

Someguy:
You have to include that kind of information in your initial post. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

All the rest of us:.

Insert foot in mouth now. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ 544 International
No worries...I was looking for unbiased opinions, that's what I got. I was getting concerned that dad had set himself up another bad deal. His last concerned a tractor that had a good price, under market etc, until the TA went out. Now he's under water several thousand dollars on that one. At least on this one, he's in the ballpark.

Thanks again.