55 gallon drum for diesel?

/ 55 gallon drum for diesel? #21  
Well let's keep it going. Good topic.

I started with 5 gallon plastic cans. Then when I retired from the town job and took up farming on a larger scale, I got 55 gallon drums starting with one I bought new full of Rotella T for my OTR rock bucket which I ran for awhile to fulfill a childhood dream.....playing in the sand with REAL trucks......the Cummins 800 cu in 400 HP big cam used 11 gallons (of oil) per oil change. I made a strap out of chain and hooks that fit under the top ring on the barrel and used the FEL to take it out of the P/U when filled.

Then I leased more land, upped the operation, more drums, clean, painted inside, fuel containers. Total now 3. Kept them sealed both full and empty. Had an old Chev p/u bed trailer I wasn't using so rather than fight the lift and all I just strapped the 3 cans in the trailer permanently. I installed a 12v pump from TSC (cheapest they had and works great) and used old batteries that I pulled out of equipment to power it. Doesn't take much battery to run a pump so old ones work great, just charge 'em up ever so often.

I keep it parked under a 15x15 "car port" that keeps it out of the sun and weather.

The barrels get Power Services diesel "snake oil" and besides keeping the fuel fresh and no contaminants, these same chemicals keep my tractor's fuel systems squeaky clean. In over 25 years of running diesels, and at some times having as many as 7 tractors, I have never had a pump or injector failure/repair unless it was with a used tractor purchase and that damage was done before my "watch".

I use 2" PVC fittings on the pump to barrel mount which work great. I use the 2" inline repair coupling (one side is a male thread, the other is a female cap nut with an 0ring seal. Stub one to the tank (the male) and the other to the pump. Works great and the added height puts the bottom of the pump suction tube about 3" off the bottom of the tank. However that really isn't necessary as I use clean farm diesel from a reliable source, keep chemicals in the fuel, the tanks sealed and I just don't have issues. I periodically take a flash light and check the status.....crystal clear red dyed fuel is all I see.

I checked on the haz. mat. plackard requirements and the non tagged limit was 1000# of fuel oil. running the numbers, 3ea 50 gallon (5 gallons per tank for expansion) puts you right under the limit. Perfect.

So if what you have doesn't work for you, this works fine for me, not much invested, and you may get some ideas to incorporate into your operation. I didn't have anything else to do this morning so I thought I'd "jaw" a bit. Hope this gives you some ideas if looking.

/ 55 gallon drum for diesel? #22  
Post pix of your set-up, if you would. **** i'm interested in doin something like that. TYVM. Don't know about TexAs, but fish are startin to bite here. Notice size of this one n sig., hittin on grubs now.

/ 55 gallon drum for diesel? #23  
You guys realize this is an eleven year old thread, right?

No, no wonder I didn't recognize anyone and sprayed my laptop with Raid for nothing, if I known how old this thread was I wouldn't have posted.

/ 55 gallon drum for diesel? #24  
Post pix of your set-up, if you would. **** i'm interested in doin something like that. TYVM. Don't know about TexAs, but fish are startin to bite here. Notice size of this one n sig., hittin on grubs now.

Really nothing to it. The three drums fit side by side strapped down in the front of a 1966 Chevy wide bed, short box trailer conversion.....added a tongue (with tongue trailer jack for convenience) and 2" ball coupler to the cut off truck frame which was formed into a V out front of the box and removed the drive shaft....left the tire/wheel running gear alone otherwise; differential and all still intact.

When filling the drums I just stand on the frame out front of the bed and it is very convenient.

The pump suction tube just goes down into the tank and I tighten the 2" PVC nut locking the pump PVC section to the one sticking out of the tank.

I run the pump wires to a battery I have just sitting at the rear of the bed.

/ 55 gallon drum for diesel? #25  
I got a question. I have a 55 gallon metal barrel that is painted green on the inside and outside. I believe it was used for some kind of food product at one time. What I'd like to know is will the paint melt and mix into the diesel?

/ 55 gallon drum for diesel? #26  
I used steel, the delivery guy who deliverd my home heating and fuel to farmers brought an empty oil drum that hey had and filled 'er up.

dont put more than 50 gals in, need room for expansion.seperate can bottom from concrete or dirt with a non absorbant insulator like plastic or rigid foam
We have an oil furnace that burns red dye diesel, the tank is underground. We had a hand pump placed on the top of the tank. It works great.

/ 55 gallon drum for diesel? #27  
For a cheap bung wrench get a piece of square stock
and weld another piece to it for a handle. cheep cheep
cheep if you can't weld epoxy it

willy

/ 55 gallon drum for diesel? #29  
I was using two metal oil drums for 4 years. They started to form some surface rust inside so I switched to plastic earlier this year. I was down to a half a barrel and the one I had the most fuel in just split. Thank goodness the split stopped above the fuel level. I just called and ordered a couple of new ones but I'm a little gun shy on the plastic now.

The plastic drums I got were opaque white. I really liked being able to see the fuel level and clarity. I have them in my open front barn so they see some light but not much direct sun. I'm going to stick with them for now but I am thinking about buying a containment pallet. I found a two drum containment pallet for $250. Not sure how much shipping.

/ 55 gallon drum for diesel? #30  
I was using two metal oil drums for 4 years. They started to form some surface rust inside so I switched to plastic earlier this year. I was down to a half a barrel and the one I had the most fuel in just split. Thank goodness the split stopped above the fuel level. I just called and ordered a couple of new ones but I'm a little gun shy on the plastic now.

The plastic drums I got were opaque white. I really liked being able to see the fuel level and clarity. I have them in my open front barn so they see some light but not much direct sun. I'm going to stick with them for now but I am thinking about buying a containment pallet. I found a two drum containment pallet for $250. Not sure how much shipping.
I would consider a stainless steel 55 Gallon drums. New they are pricey, almost 1K. I have seen reconditioned ones for about $250. If you stick with plastic absolutely use a containment.

A containment will catch a leak not a tip over. Hopefully stainless would never leak. Class 8 trucks use stainless saddle bag tanks and I have never seen one leak through.