555E Brakes

/ 555E Brakes #1  

bikernut

Tractor
bikernutgoofy@gmail.com
got a 555E TBL that is leaking brake fluid some where. had myself and another under the machine looking for said leak but couldn't even find the lines looked for about 45 minutes before throwing in the towel. when I fill the reservoir and give it one pump the brakes work wonderful and like the old Mercury ad says stops on a dime, wait a day or two and then reservoir is empty again. put fluid back in it and you can see it self bleeding and good brakes again. it has to be going some place but we couldn't as I said even find the lines or any excess fluid other the a hydraulic leak on one of the valves by the hydraulic reservoir tank. parts book show 2 lines to rear differential but I can't find said lines with the flexible hoses connected to them. No fluid under the fill tank and don't see any in engine compartment from master cylinders matter of fact couldn't even find the master cylinders, where are they located? any and all help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

can the brakes o-rings and seals be replaced without an axle disassembly or does it need to be taken all apart to replace them?

/ 555E Brakes #2  
If no exterior leaks found it is most likely leaking at the piston seals inside the axle. Requires axle tear down. Pop the fill plug on the axle and you will probably find it is over filled.

The lines and bleeders are on top of the axle, one on each side of the diff.

/ 555E Brakes #3  
I have a 555E and I was not aware that it took brake fluid. Where do you put it?

/ 555E Brakes #4  
I have a 555E and I was not aware that it took brake fluid. Where do you put it?

Life will be much better if you refer to it as ‘brake oil’ and not confuse it with any DOT 3 or similar fluid. Reservoir is in the engine compartment front of the firewall. Use ONLY New Holland brake oil. Using DOT 3 fluid will create the OP’s problem.

/ 555E Brakes #5  
Life will be much better if you refer to it as ‘brake oil’ and not confuse it with any DOT 3 or similar fluid. Reservoir is in the engine compartment front of the firewall. Use ONLY New Holland brake oil. Using DOT 3 fluid will create the OP’s problem.

I have 8,500 hours on mine, and I bought it used with 1,800 hours on it. It's a 1998 555E and I've never noticed this, which also means, I've never checked to see if it has oil in it!!!! Brakes work great, so that is the excuse that I'm sticking to.

/ 555E Brakes #6  
I have 8,500 hours on mine, and I bought it used with 1,800 hours on it. It's a 1998 555E and I've never noticed this, which also means, I've never checked to see if it has oil in it!!!! Brakes work great, so that is the excuse that I'm sticking to.

That’s great! Just be aware.

/ 555E Brakes #7  

On my cab tractor the reservoir is behind a removable cover on the steering console. Directly under the turn signal about half way down.

Rick B is correct. NH calls for a special mineral base oil. Looks just like mineral oil from the drug store but has a tint to it. Mine leaks so bad nothing will stay in it. I poured a couple of bottles of the high price NH oil in it then tried regular mineral oil. After that I even tried some 134D compatible hydraulic fluid with some Lucas conditioner but that went on into the rear axle also.

Bikernut you can keep asking the same question on multiple forums but the answer is the rear axle will have to be torn down to fix it. Not trying to be rude. Just alerting you to the reality that it's not a cheap or easy thing to fix.

/ 555E Brakes #8  
On my cab tractor the reservoir is behind a removable cover on the steering console. Directly under the turn signal about half way down.

Rick B is correct. NH calls for a special mineral base oil. Looks just like mineral oil from the drug store but has a tint to it. Mine leaks so bad nothing will stay in it. I poured a couple of bottles of the high price NH oil in it then tried regular mineral oil. After that I even tried some 134D compatible hydraulic fluid with some Lucas conditioner but that went on into the rear axle also.

Bikernut you can keep asking the same question on multiple forums but the answer is the rear axle will have to be torn down to fix it. Not trying to be rude. Just alerting you to the reality that it's not a cheap or easy thing to fix.
I’ll defer on the reservoir location. I don’t see that many TLB’s any more.