5570 Mhindra

/ 5570 Mhindra #1  

mowingken

Tractor
2720 John deere & 5570 Mahindra
Hello, I have just joined and I hope I can get some help about my 2017 70 hp Mahindra. Bought this tractor from original owner's son. The father passed away three months after purchase. Tractor problem is that it acts like it is running out of fuel. It will run well as long as it is stationary. Put it in gear and it will operate for about 1minute 30 seconds before it stops running. Have had the tractor at the dealer who sold it originally. Bought the tractor in Dec 2, 2017, it had 50.1 hrs on it. Owners manual said Mahindra recommended the first service to be performed by dealer. I drove 67 miles to dealer to inquire about warranty. Dealer's service manager went over the warranty with me. Original sale was in March 2017. Dealer picked up tractor Dec 14 and performed maint. and returned tractor Dec 20. Due to holidays tractor was not used but for 4-6 hours. Everything seemed O.K.

Jan 8, 2018 MIL light remained on upon initial starting. Called dealer, he came and got the tractor. Dealer said he found some computer code and updated the software. Returned tractor a week later, said problem was fixed.
Jan 18 While digging out an 8 inch tree stump, tractor hesitated, backed away from stump, engine recovered, went back to work and the engine stalled out, almost as if it had run out of fuel. Checked fuel - almost a full tank. Restarted tractor, ran for approximately 2 minutes on the way back to the equipment barn, stalled out. It did this three more times before I could cover 10 acres. Called dealer, he came and got tractor. After two weeks no word from dealer, called dealer. Dealer said their computer indicated a bad common fuel rail, rail on order. Returned tractor on 3/6.
3/6 Before driver could get ten miles down the road the tractor exhibited the same problem. Called dealer who in turn called driver and had him turn around and come back to get the tractor. While talking to the dealer, he informed me on the phone, that he had some Mahindra people coming March the 15th for another tractor that had a similar problem and he would have them look at my tractor at the same time. On 3/19, I visited the dealer to find out what was going on and was told they were awaiting parts and no info on what the problem was.
4/20 Finally got the tractor back, Invoice sheet said they changed the alternator. Driver, at the request of the service manager, asked me to drive the tractor around - which I did over a 5 acre tract. Tractor seemed to work O.K. Since it was late, 7:30 pm yesterday, I parked the tractor until today. Went out this morning ready to do some work. Started tractor and let it run for 10 minutes at 2000 rpm and there was not a cough or hiccup. Got on the tractor, put it in gear and drove for about a minute and 30 seconds, did the same thing as before. As long as the tractor sits still, it is fine. Put it in gear and start to move and after a minute or two it stalls out.
Called dealer, had a chat, at one point a little heated on both ends of the phone. Dealer reminded me that I had not purchased the tractor originally and that if any legal issues arose, they were between me and Mahindra. Said he would come get the tractor Monday (4/23) and call Mahindra and have them send someone down here to Florida to look at my tractor and another with the same or similar problem. Please excuse the verboseness. The question, has anyone or does/did anyone have a similar problem and know how to fix ? I have the feeling I will end up doing this myself.
Thanks for reading,

Ken in Florida

/ 5570 Mhindra #2  
:welcome:
To the TBN forum Ken. Sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble.

I know nothing about your tractor but it almost sounds like a loose safety switch.

/ 5570 Mhindra
Thanks Mike. I too was in the AF 62-69 Ken

/ 5570 Mhindra #4  
Are the fuel lines rubber or braided steel covered ?

/ 5570 Mhindra #5  
Welcome Ken. Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Did they tell you what the exact Check Engine Code number was?

It sounds like the first thing Mahindra recommends on all of these tractors with an "issue" is to reflash the ECU to update the software.

I would ask them to plug it in to the Garuda software and see what the actual check engine codes coming up are.
Here is a link to a manual you can use for reference: http://kisandost.com/KisanMitraWeb/MarketBulletinView?moduleType=SubjectPartFile&FileName=203
Make note, an OBD2 reader does not give you accurate read out of the codes or the proper code. The factory Garuda software must be used.

They should be able to use the modern electronics to their advantage and pin point the problem.

I would ask for thorough explanation when they're doing their work. I can't stand when they say it had a code and we fixed it. Oh, really? What was the code, how did you trouble shoot the proposed problem, how did you "fix" it and why is the MIL still on again if you "fixed" it? Haha, i literally get frustrated every time i read these threads because it's almost the same story from everyone. The dealer/techs/mahindra or whomever suggested a reflash, and we think that was it. Motors are basic, they need air, fuel, and ignition. There are a few systems that control that. And now there are a few systems that regulate and monitor it.

I browsed the manual i sent the link for, and i can't find something as specific as what youre mentioning for symptoms.
My questions would be, will the tractor idle for 15 minutes straight? or does it always just stall after 4 minutes. or is it indeed 2 minutes after in gear, no matter how long idling, it stalls.
Really, just need to know what MIL codes it's throwing at that time then too.

Good luck and keep us posted.

/ 5570 Mhindra #6  
Also, hang in there. There is a real attention to detail issue from the factory on these machines in regards to electronics and such, but in my opinion, they are built quite stout. Hopefully you can get this fault pinpointed and start enjoying the tractor soon!

/ 5570 Mhindra #7  
Welcome Ken. Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Did they tell you what the exact Check Engine Code number was?

It sounds like the first thing Mahindra recommends on all of these tractors with an "issue" is to reflash the ECU to update the software.

I would ask them to plug it in to the Garuda software and see what the actual check engine codes coming up are.
Here is a link to a manual you can use for reference: http://kisandost.com/KisanMitraWeb/MarketBulletinView?moduleType=SubjectPartFile&FileName=203
Make note, an OBD2 reader does not give you accurate read out of the codes or the proper code. The factory Garuda software must be used.

They should be able to use the modern electronics to their advantage and pin point the problem.

I would ask for thorough explanation when they're doing their work. I can't stand when they say it had a code and we fixed it. Oh, really? What was the code, how did you trouble shoot the proposed problem, how did you "fix" it and why is the MIL still on again if you "fixed" it? Haha, i literally get frustrated every time i read these threads because it's almost the same story from everyone. The dealer/techs/mahindra or whomever suggested a reflash, and we think that was it. Motors are basic, they need air, fuel, and ignition. There are a few systems that control that. And now there are a few systems that regulate and monitor it.

I browsed the manual i sent the link for, and i can't find something as specific as what youre mentioning for symptoms.
My questions would be, will the tractor idle for 15 minutes straight? or does it always just stall after 4 minutes. or is it indeed 2 minutes after in gear, no matter how long idling, it stalls.
Really, just need to know what MIL codes it's throwing at that time then too.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Diesels are more basic they only need air and fuel it takes care of the ignition on its own.

/ 5570 Mhindra #8  
Diesels are more basic they only need air and fuel it takes care of the ignition on its own.

Correct! and thanks for properly clarify that detail, i was on a rant :laughing:

unless there's a compression issue (or air intake restriction/obstruction), it's fuel related (including all fuel related parts) or an electronic metering/monitoring issue (which could inhibit fuel/injection)

/ 5570 Mhindra #9  
Ouch! The more I read about new diesels and codes and reflashing systems, the more I'm glad I have my '03 6000...just keep the diesel clean in the tank and make sure you have a good battery/starter and you're golden....I can't imagine having a tractor that is as computerized as new cars......just my rant...BobG in VA

/ 5570 Mhindra #10  
Ouch! The more I read about new diesels and codes and reflashing systems, the more I'm glad I have my '03 6000...just keep the diesel clean in the tank and make sure you have a good battery/starter and you're golden....I can't imagine having a tractor that is as computerized as new cars......just my rant...BobG in VA

Lol. It has it's pro's and con's. While the new electronics make the system more complex, they can also be useful for diagnostic purposes. hence the name OBDx (on board diagnostics).

When a part of your mechanical fuel system fails, it's not so easy to troubleshoot. if you're having fuel issues, pinpointing whether it's a lift pump issue, the injection pump, the injection line, or an injector issue isn't so straight forward to determine.

when the ecu tells you cylinder 1 misfire, injector 1 malfunction that might be a little quicker and easier to find/fix :p

don't get me wrong, the old mechanical diesels were pretty solid, and you rarely ran in to issues with them. but the emissions regulations now days require a cleaner burning, more efficient engine. and that's what modern engine management and the common rail technology allows.

it's still a fairly new application on tractors, but it's been around for quite a while on road vehicles. and like i mentioned before, mahindras attention to detail with their components is mediocre currently. hopefully they improve that.

it'd be nice for a normal OBD2 code reader to accurately pull the codes so you could trouble shoot the MILs yourself. maybe that's something people need to request.

anywho, i understand where you're coming from. haha. but it's really not all that bad. once it works properly.