5B plastic tank sprayer questions

/ 5B plastic tank sprayer questions #1  

Racer4

Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC2410
Hi all, working on my dad's 5b sprayer to use for lawn spraying. It probably hasn't been used in at least 10 years. The valve handle/extension to turn on the boom spray broke years ago (replaced with vise grips). I was lucky enough to find the extension in his garage, and will be replacing the old style valve with a 1/4 turn, t-handle ball valve and adapting the extension to the new valve. The extension allows you to turn boom on or off from tractor seat.

Currently waiting on a new air filter element and spark plug, as well as a new fitting and nut for the tank suction line. Nut and fitting are old nylon and will not tighten enough to stop leaking (threads don't hold). Had to source tank fitting 3/4" MIP x 3/4" male garden hose thread and stainless 3/4" MIP jam nut from ebay. Fitting is nylon, made by Parker Hannefin, part #316GH-12-12N in case anyone ever needs one.

Also have to source a pressure hose for spray wand. There's plastic barb fittings on there with heater hose. Which is no where close to being able to handle that pressure safely.

My question is, does anyone have a manual for one of these? I'd like to know the spray flow rates as they relate to the operating pressure. Pressure gauge goes from 0-400 psi and I was curious as to what pressure it's supposed to be run at for boom use.

/ 5B plastic tank sprayer questions #2  
What boom size are you trying to run on this 5B? What psi do you want to operate the sprayer?

Pics would help to give suggestions.

I have a 30 gal tank sprayer and run a 6' boom, at 12-15 psi pressure using Flo-jet 12v pump. Have a hand wand that will shoot 25-30' distance.
Boom is on front and tank on the rear trailer wheels. Very convenient to steer/drive the boom where the spray is needed.

If you want high pressure to blow spray under leaves in trees, for example, then a couple hundred psi might be needed, such as in an orchard.

/ 5B plastic tank sprayer questions #3  
The pressure and flow rate depends on the sprayer nozzle that you use. Here's a chart from T-jet

Spray Nozzle info

/ 5B plastic tank sprayer questions
Here's a few pics of it. It has a 5' boom running 7 nozzles, plus the spray wand. I'm not really familiar with spraying, but I need to spray almost an acre of lawn for ticks. They're really bad this year. Going to use triazicide
16237616635256431881424710484489.jpg
16237616985614530564326745862088.jpg
16237617533856277916792006385346.jpg

Nozzles are TeeJet size 0077 73° flat fan. Just took all them out as that screen in the first one needs cleaning.

Well, got the tank fitting changed out. Used a reducer bushing I cut off as the jam nut, new o ring. Leaks fixed. Got rated spray hose from TSC for the boom and wand. Now the wand has hose with a 150psi rating.

Go to fire it up after putting in fresh gas. Won't fire. Dribble some gas in the carb, boom fires up for a second. Ok pulled carb off, only 1 jet. Pulled jet out, can't see light through it. Hit it with the air nozzle. I can see light! Reassemble everything. Fires on second pull. Adjusted carb so it's running good now. Turn the valve, no water. Nothing even returning to tank. Pulled off wand hose, still nothing. Dry.

Looks like I'll be rebuilding the pump now. Hypro model 5330c. Watched a few vids on it. Seems simple enough. It will have to wait until Friday. Mrs. and I are going away for 2 days for our anniversary!

/ 5B plastic tank sprayer questions #7  
Is the water gravity feed to the pump ?

If not perhaps just priming the pump will get it going.

Richard

I'm pretty sure the valves corroded and are not allowing water in. Pump is self priming and has a return hose going back into tank. I'll dig into it tomorrow. I might be able to soak it in blaster to free them up.

I took off upper cylinder head, everything looked ok, cylinder wasn't rusty, neither were valves. Tomorrow I may pull the pump out and look at the lower cylinder, that may be a different story.

I did find a leak at the suction strainer cap. It was an old flat fiber washer. Must have boogered it up when I took it off to clean the screen. Replaced that with an o ring which sealed it up. I also blew compressed air into the pump and had no leaks anywhere in the system. Hopefully that jostled the pump valves and cleared out any debris that may have been blocking them. I'll have to test some more before taking out the pump.

Well, today I unhooked the suction hose from the tank and hooked it up to the garden hose. Turned the spigot on and something popped in the pump, a bunch of crud came out and then clear water! Hooked everything back up, fired it up. Pump is pumping, returning back to tank. Turned boom on, some tips were clogged. Overall, working well. No leaks. Changed oil, air filter (original, falling apart), spark plug. Now it runs tip top. I was able to get my entire lawn sprayed today as I had planned.

The only problem I was having was the spray tips kept clogging. Even though they each had screens, every time I turned the boom off then back on, 1 or 2 of the 7 didn't work. I'd take each apart, clean and flush the screens. Multiple times this was happening, with all different nozzles. Screens were clean each time. Think it's time for some new screens. Now I have to find a kit to rebuild the spray wand, as that didn't want to stay shut off. Halfway through I removed the spray wand and capped the fitting just so I didn't have to keep messing with it. Over all, it worked nicely, and put down the quantity it was supposed to for the square footage being covered.