5X25 series "sputter" fix by JD

/ 5X25 series "sputter" fix by JD #1  

Dargo

Tractor
Jinma, Foton, TYM, Belarus, Yanmar, Branson, Montana, Mahindra and maybe some green and orange too.
I thought I'd post this just in case anybody else has an issue like I had. My 5425 tractor started sputtering when I moved it to full throttle. Being that it had about 300 hours on it I figured it was likely a fuel filter, so I changed that. The old filter didn't look dirty at all, but you can't always tell by that.

Sure enough, changing the fuel filter didn't help. Dang! The next step was to drain the fuel tank, clean it out as well as clean the fuel pickup in the bottom of the tank. Again, they didn't look dirty but I cleaned away just the same. Dang if I didn't have the same result; no help. Being that I needed the tractor I went ahead and took it into my JD dealer and told them to just fix it. I figured it was probably a dirty injector (even though I have never before seen an injector act like that) and wouldn't be covered under the warranty.

Much to my surprise, and delight, the JD dealership called me and said that there was a bulletin on that issue and some JD 5X25 series tractors needed some fuel lift pump to prevent it from starving for fuel at times. The dealership installed the new lift pump and, since I was 1 week from going out of warranty, asked me if I wanted to have them just put the 5525 fuel system on it; giving it the power of the 5525 rather than the 5425. After being told that was really the only difference in the two tractors was the fuel system (engine and power wise) and it wouldn't hurt anything, I said "go ahead".

Now the tractor never sputters and seems to have more power than it ever had. I can't say for sure that it's due to the larger capacity fuel system or if it was always just starving for fuel. Either way, it runs great. If anybody else has this issue with a JD 5X25 series tractor you may want to check with your dealer.

/ 5X25 series "sputter" fix by JD #2  
Did that problem impact all 5x25s?

What year is your 5425?

D.

/ 5X25 series "sputter" fix by JD #3  
Whoa.... you sure done good on that "fix" Dargo!! Got yurself a 5525 for no charge!

I need to git lookin' around for a good shape 5425 and throw in a little shaving lotion or mouthwash 'er somethin' into the fuel and git a good sputter goin'!

(You ain't married to that dealer's daughter, now are ya'...?)

AKfish

/ 5X25 series "sputter" fix by JD
D, my JD is a 2005 model. I have no idea what years are effected or for sure if all 5X25 models are effected. I guess I have renewed faith in JD to do the right thing; and really good feelings towards my particular dealer and the tech who worked on my tractor.

I got some payback yesterday when I blew out a right front tire doing some heavy loader work. I had a heaping bucket full with the 1 cubic yard bucket I have on the tractor and I crossed a frozen rut a bit too hard. :( The only good thing was that, after 2 hours of beating and banging on the rim, I got the rim bent back and it seems to hold air again.

No, AK, I'm not married to the dealer's daughter. He only has a son. But he's kinda cute... :eek: :D

/ 5X25 series "sputter" fix by JD #5  
Dargo said:
D, my JD is a 2005 model. I have no idea what years are effected or for sure if all 5X25 models are effected. I guess I have renewed faith in JD to do the right thing; and really good feelings towards my particular dealer and the tech who worked on my tractor.

:eek: :D

I will have to keep an eye out for that surge. I have a 2005 also. I have 344 hours on my tractor. Could you reproduce it every time?

D.

/ 5X25 series "sputter" fix by JD #6  
Dargo, it's a good thing to see that your dealer is a "straight up" guy and really came thru for ya'. That's d**n encouraging and by-the-way --- does he have an 800 number? (Jest kiddin')

Whoee... those rims are stout, stout, stout. I don't think I'd wanna be in the shop when you were poundin' on that thing!

1 yard load and you were in "C" range!?!

AKfish