6.0vs6.6, 6.2vs7.3, 6.4 Hemi

/ 6.0vs6.6, 6.2vs7.3, 6.4 Hemi #111  
One would think with all of the gloom and doom of the 6.4 hemi engines tanking at 100,000 miles there would be more guys complaining on the Ram forums ? I guess I am missing it..My neighbor is one of the lead engineers at the Chrysler proving grounds here in Michigan I have asked him if there are all these issues he stated the 6.4 hemi is a great engine.

Last edited:
   / 6.0vs6.6, 6.2vs7.3, 6.4 Hemi #112  
One would think with all of the gloom and doom of the 6.4 hemi engines tanking at 100,000 miles there would be more guys complaining on the Ram forums ? I guess I am missing it..My neighbor is one of the lead engineers at the Chrysler proving grounds here in Michigan I have asked him if there are all these issues he stated the 6.4 hemi is a great engine.

This took just a moment to find:

I’ve also seen it, so to say. My understanding is the MDS components and method are the same, across the Ram/Dodge engines. For a short time, I was assigned a 2014 Ram 5.7L 1500, as a patrol vehicle. I used it for a couple of weeks, after I struck a deer, in my normal assigned vehicle. On my days off, I had to let another guy use the truck. When I went back to get it, for my next week of work, I was told I couldn’t use that Ram. At around 113,000 miles, it needed a new engine. I was told the guy who was going to use it, on my days off, took it and a few hours into shift noticed it was not running right. Supposedly, there were no codes, at that time. By the time he got it to the shop, it was done. When our Ram dealer was contacted, they said it was common and knew exactly what was needed, to do the swap. Within a couple of months, another one of our Ram 5.7L 1500’s started having issues. These were caught quick enough to replace just the failed parts, instead of the entire engine. It was a 2015 or 2016 and had just under 100k miles.

I agree the Ram 6.4L is a pretty good engine, but not once it gets “higher mileage”. If they were to develop it, without the MDS, I believe it would be a spectacular engine.

/ 6.0vs6.6, 6.2vs7.3, 6.4 Hemi #113  

I’ve also seen it, so to say. My understanding is the MDS components and method are the same, across the Ram/Dodge engines. For a short time, I was assigned a 2014 Ram 5.7L 1500, as a patrol vehicle. I used it for a couple of weeks, after I struck a deer, in my normal assigned vehicle. On my days off, I had to let another guy use the truck. When I went back to get it, for my next week of work, I was told I couldn’t use that Ram. At around 113,000 miles, it needed a new engine. I was told the guy who was going to use it, on my days off, took it and a few hours into shift noticed it was not running right. Supposedly, there were no codes, at that time. By the time he got it to the shop, it was done. When our Ram dealer was contacted, they said it was common and knew exactly what was needed, to do the swap. Within a couple of months, another one of our Ram 5.7L 1500’s started having issues. These were caught quick enough to replace just the failed parts, instead of the entire engine. It was a 2015 or 2016 and had just under 100k miles.

I agree the Ram 6.4L is a pretty good engine, but not once it gets “higher mileage”. If they were to develop it, without the MDS, I believe it would be a spectacular engine.
I would think the same would hold true for Toyota, ford and chevy engines.My point is every brand has there share of issues I had the Wonderfull. ford 5.4 triton engine and chevy 5.3 engine that drank oil like a drunken sailor.I owned both.

Last edited:
   / 6.0vs6.6, 6.2vs7.3, 6.4 Hemi #114  
I would think the same would hold true for Toyota, ford and chevy engines.My point is every brand has there share of issues I had the Wonderfull. ford 5.4 triton engine and chevy 5.3 engine that drank oil like a drunken sailor.I owned both.

I don’t recall saying ANY engine was 100%. If I did, I mis-typed. Almost all of them have growing pains. Even the new Ford 7.3L and the GM 6.6L have had reports of big problems, shortly after rollout. The Ford 6.2L had some issues, the first year. Generally, it’s a bad idea to buy a first year vehicle, regardless who it is from. The same can be said for transmissions or any other part. Until they get enough on the streets, no one knows what the real reliability or shortcomings will be.

A GM 5.3L that had excessive oil consumption. No surprise, there. Cylinder deactivation increases the chances of having issues. The reason I put a Range Technologies in, immediately. Did it help? No way of knowing, but I did what I could to hedge my bet against a known issue. It’s all any of us can do. In regard to GM light duty engines, the best time to buy one would be a mid-2020 to current model. GM didn’t include cylinder deactivation due to parts shortages. I believe the parts are still there, but not activated. It will be interesting to see if it’s the parts or the process that causes problems.

Our 2009 Ford F-250 5.4L patrol vehicle was solid. Yes, we had that as a patrol vehicle. Yes, it was stupid. On the other hand, my friend is currently shopping for a new 5.4L engine, since his original, from the early 2000’s is trashed.

/ 6.0vs6.6, 6.2vs7.3, 6.4 Hemi #115  
Yep, a great engine. Until it happens to you. I posted a link to a dodge forum where it's mentioned.

Engineers don't impress me . They have a piece of paper from a college. not real life experiences.
I have been in meetings with many engineers, Their answer when something doesn't work ? ''Well it works on paper, so it should work in real life situations'' ! LMBO !!!

My brother has a 5.7. it happened to his this one is a 6.4 and it's happened to him. If it hasn't happened to you, consider yourself lucky.
There are many U-tube videos about this issue. Some from long time Chrysler techs.

The truck in my shop has about 75K on the meter.

/ 6.0vs6.6, 6.2vs7.3, 6.4 Hemi #116  

Yeah, it isn't difficult at all to find out the issues with these engines.
Doesn't surprise me some Chrysler engineer would defend one of their screw ups.

There is hardly a way to find the problem in time to ''just replace the failed parts''. As soon as the tick starts, the lifter has destroyed it's self and started destroying the camshaft, which sends metal throughout the engine, bearings, oil pump, etc, .

In my previous life. I owned a drag car. When something goes bad wrong. I know where all that metal goes, and it don't get captured in the oil filter.
It doesn't take much metal to eat away soft bearing material.

Chrysler may just replace the failed parts, and hope to get by.
On this truck, we are replacing bearings, oil pump, cam, all lifters, and flushing the oil holes in the engine to remove any small metal shavings.
This is with about 75K miles on the clock

/ 6.0vs6.6, 6.2vs7.3, 6.4 Hemi #117  
Yep, a great engine. Until it happens to you. I posted a link to a dodge forum where it's mentioned.

Engineers don't impress me . They have a piece of paper from a college. not real life experiences.
I have been in meetings with many engineers, Their answer when something doesn't work ? ''Well it works on paper, so it should work in real life situations'' ! LMBO !!!

My brother has a 5.7. it happened to his this one is a 6.4 and it's happened to him. If it hasn't happened to you, consider yourself lucky.
There are many U-tube videos about this issue. Some from long time Chrysler techs.

The truck in my shop has about 75K on the meter

The truck in my shop has about 75K on the meter.
I am 100% agree with you on the engineer comment.dealt with many over the years (most bad some good) being a electric lineman.On the other hand my neighbor who is the engineer at Chrysler is MUCH different than your office type engineer he owns his own farm and tears engines down and rebuilds them splits tractors fixes them works and repairs his own equipment.He is NOT one to cover Chryslers a$$ by any means we have been close friends with him for 25 plus years.As I stated earlier all brands have there share of turds.:poop:

Last edited:
   / 6.0vs6.6, 6.2vs7.3, 6.4 Hemi #118  
When I was a kid we all had pos cars and trucks had a 383 road runner paid $500 bucks for went through a quart of oil a week . Same thing on a 73 blazer,78bronco,and 69 camaro . I used to add a quart of oil a week in just about all of them . I called them [self changers] you added so much new oil you never had to change it completly.

The total cost for those 4 cars was $ 3,500. My how times have changed. 🍻

/ 6.0vs6.6, 6.2vs7.3, 6.4 Hemi #119  
There is hardly a way to find the problem in time to ''just replace the failed parts''. As soon as the tick starts, the lifter has destroyed it's self and started destroying the camshaft, which sends metal throughout the engine, bearings, oil pump, etc, .

I don’t know how they found the issues, with the second truck. I wasn’t involved with that one. They may have ripped it open, when the 2014 engine went, to see what it looked like or maybe they just got lucky?

We have a pretty capable shop. This is one of the Pete’s they are rebuilding, all in house:

48D08DE9-E478-4AE5-818F-182A5200A0F6.png

FBEA0863-34CC-47FE-9D3B-1EC76FD0399E.png

/ 6.0vs6.6, 6.2vs7.3, 6.4 Hemi #120  
Keep us in the loop on that one. Old truckers never die they just get their Peter bilt. Perfect for a glider kit. 🍻