6.0vs6.6, 6.2vs7.3, 6.4 Hemi

/ 6.0vs6.6, 6.2vs7.3, 6.4 Hemi #121  
Here is my very initial input on the new Ford 7.3. I have had new style emissions diesels for the last 7 years - a 2014 Ram and then a 2019 Ford. The Ram spent over five months in the shop for emissions problems (and a couple of months more for other things) and was traded in on the Ford F350 DRW in January of 19. The Ford only failed when we hit two degrees and it did not want to start after cold soaking for a couple of days. Pretty flawless in my book - especially when following the Ram. The power from the 6.7 Powerstroke is very impressive and it would pass anything but a diesel pump (Got about 12 over it's life with me). I don't have or want a CDL so I am limited to 20K pounds on a trailer for farm use, so the insane towing power of the 350 was really overkill (but fun). About a dozen times a year I do carry more in the back of the truck than you can do with single rear tires, and really like the safety margin the duals give while towing not to mention the extra stability they give.

Earlier this year I started hearing good things about the new 7.3 gas engine/10 speed transmission combo (after they got through the initial teething problems) so after spending a year reading and hearing about expensive horror stories on higher mile Powerstrokes (I drive 25 to 30K miles a year) I started seriously thinking about switching. I ended up trading it in on a 21 DRW Lariat last Friday (I know trade in numbers are nuts right now, but I got 7K less than what I paid for the 2019 almost three years ago) and so far I really like it. The new tight engine is averaging 14 so better than the diesel, it is much quieter, and 800 pounds less over the front tires helps a lot with ride and handling. I am going to wait a couple of weeks before I tow with it but so far it feels like there should not be a problem.

/ 6.0vs6.6, 6.2vs7.3, 6.4 Hemi
Here is my very initial input on the new Ford 7.3. I have had new style emissions diesels for the last 7 years - a 2014 Ram and then a 2019 Ford. The Ram spent over five months in the shop for emissions problems (and a couple of months more for other things) and was traded in on the Ford F350 DRW in January of 19. The Ford only failed when we hit two degrees and it did not want to start after cold soaking for a couple of days. Pretty flawless in my book - especially when following the Ram. The power from the 6.7 Powerstroke is very impressive and it would pass anything but a diesel pump (Got about 12 over it's life with me). I don't have or want a CDL so I am limited to 20K pounds on a trailer for farm use, so the insane towing power of the 350 was really overkill (but fun). About a dozen times a year I do carry more in the back of the truck than you can do with single rear tires, and really like the safety margin the duals give while towing not to mention the extra stability they give.

Earlier this year I started hearing good things about the new 7.3 gas engine/10 speed transmission combo (after they got through the initial teething problems) so after spending a year reading and hearing about expensive horror stories on higher mile Powerstrokes (I drive 25 to 30K miles a year) I started seriously thinking about switching. I ended up trading it in on a 21 DRW Lariat last Friday (I know trade in numbers are nuts right now, but I got 7K less than what I paid for the 2019 almost three years ago) and so far I really like it. The new tight engine is averaging 14 so better than the diesel, it is much quieter, and 800 pounds less over the front tires helps a lot with ride and handling. I am going to wait a couple of weeks before I tow with it but so far it feels like there should not be a problem.

A dually would be overkill for us. The 7.3 reminds me of the 460, which were real work horses-at least the ones I experienced.

/ 6.0vs6.6, 6.2vs7.3, 6.4 Hemi #123  
I like the dually because the handful of times every year you need it you REALLY need it. Also I have had a blowout on a rear single that was loaded at the limit and it tried real hard to kill me. With the rear duals you have a little insurance until you can at least get stopped.

/ 6.0vs6.6, 6.2vs7.3, 6.4 Hemi #124  
I used to haul new travel trailers from the factories to dealers years ago. I ran both single and dual rear wheel pickups. The duallies sure were a lot nicer to drive in the wind storms with a big trailer behind you. So much more stability.

/ 6.0vs6.6, 6.2vs7.3, 6.4 Hemi #125  
I used to haul new travel trailers from the factories to dealers years ago. I ran both single and dual rear wheel pickups. The duallies sure were a lot nicer to drive in the wind storms with a big trailer behind you. So much more stability.

Were the trucks set up close enough to see other differences?

For example, if they had different engines or drive ratios, fuel mileage wouldn’t matter - too many variables. However, how long the tires lasted would likely still be relevant. Same for brake and Susie sign components, etc.

/ 6.0vs6.6, 6.2vs7.3, 6.4 Hemi #126  
GM 6.0 is a great motor, reliable but sucks fuel and not the most powerful. Has some issues with broken manifold bolts but so do most HD trucks. The 6l90 behind it is a pretty reliable trans.

Ford 6.2 is also a great motor, reliable, more power than a 6.0 but similar MPG. Also breaks manifold bolts or cracks them. Very reliable transmission that was designed for that motor.

Ram 6.4 Powerful, semi reliable for the short haul but plenty of very well documented issues with lifters and cams. The 6sp trans is mediocre at best but I hear the ZF8 speed is reliable.

GM 6.6 have not seen or read about many issues with these yet but its a new motor. DI may be a weak point if it has carbon issues but so far havent read of many, nor seen many come into the shop for repairs (but they are under warranty). The "new" 6spd trans is just a 6L90 with a few more clutch packs. Reliable for the most part but not perfect.

Ford 7.3 seems very stout and has great potential. Its new still as well. The 10sp trans is having some issues that they are working through but I imagine in a year or so it will be a bomb proof drivetrain.

/ 6.0vs6.6, 6.2vs7.3, 6.4 Hemi #127  
Were the trucks set up close enough to see other differences?

For example, if they had different engines or drive ratios, fuel mileage wouldn’t matter - too many variables. However, how long the tires lasted would likely still be relevant. Same for brake and Susie sign components, etc.
Lot of years ago for my memory, LOL. Was in 2007. I can't really be too specific. I only did that for a year or two and then went back into trucking.
I was averaging 3417 miles a week. And I did have to replace the factory tires in that time. Had good luck with Continentals that came on the one Ford. They were better than the Firestones my tire dealer talked me into buying as far as wear and winter traction.
Only thing I can say for sure was the Ram dually ate tires every 50,000 because that was the point the front ends fell out of them, LOL And as I said, the duallies were far more stable in the wind storms on the highways.
And the single rears were a bit better on fuel, but not enough that I'd give up the stability of a dually if I had to do it again.

/ 6.0vs6.6, 6.2vs7.3, 6.4 Hemi #128  
So I will add a little bit to the Hemi problem. Some of this is fact and some opinion. I have owned several 5.7 Hemi engines in trucks and own a Challenger and frequent Challenger forums. They do appear to have a lifter problem. It seems to happen on the 6.4 and the 5.7. Someone with a manual transmission car, no MDS, had a lifter fail. These generally happen over 100,000 mile.

There is another thread going where someone lunched his Ford gas engine at 80,000 miles. Are the Hemi engines prone to failure more or less than other engines? I would say no.

/ 6.0vs6.6, 6.2vs7.3, 6.4 Hemi
So I will add a little bit to the Hemi problem. Some of this is fact and some opinion. I have owned several 5.7 Hemi engines in trucks and own a Challenger and frequent Challenger forums. They do appear to have a lifter problem. It seems to happen on the 6.4 and the 5.7. Someone with a manual transmission car, no MDS, had a lifter fail. These generally happen over 100,000 mile.

There is another thread going where someone lunched his Ford gas engine at 80,000 miles. Are the Hemi engines prone to failure more or less than other engines? I would say no.

I would agree…a basic google search reveals problems with all 3 unfortunately.

/ 6.0vs6.6, 6.2vs7.3, 6.4 Hemi #130  
I like the dually because the handful of times every year you need it you REALLY need it. Also I have had a blowout on a rear single that was loaded at the limit and it tried real hard to kill me. With the rear duals you have a little insurance until you can at least get stopped.
^This.

I've had a cabover camper for years. Those things are tall (close to 13' when on the truck) and very heavy. Quite the experience when a rear tire blows hauling one of those and that corner of the truck drops 6" while at speed. The main reason I went to a dually.