6" Bucket for 2310

/ 6" Bucket for 2310 #1  

ray66v

Tractor
GC2310,
As I have mentioned several times, a couple years ago I made a 6" bucket for my 2310. I quickly found, as was predicted, it clogs in clay soil. After trying every thing you can imagine to fix the problem, I pushed the bucket to the back of the shop, and considered it a lost cause.

Yesterday, I decided to do some drain tile installation, and knowing the ground was extremely dry, I decided to try the 6" again. Much to my surprise it worked very well in the dry clay, with no sticking, until I went down past 20". Most of this installation was at 18" so I had it made.

Digging is a little tricky because, you are unable to see very much, in such a narrow trench. But, if you are not a beginner, this is not a big issue. I was able to make very nice 8" wide, flat bottomed trenches.

With this new found revelation, I would like to revise my earlier review of a 6" bucket. It is not completely worthless in clay, if you have the luxury of waiting for the ground to be bone dry, before you use it. If not, it is still completely worthless. :cool:

/ 6" Bucket for 2310 #2  
Have you tried using pam on the bucket before you dig? I found is works pretty well but, I use it on my 15" bucket, not a 6". I would think in wet conditions you get a good vaccum that holds the clay in on a bucket that size.

/ 6" Bucket for 2310
Yes, as I said I tried EVERYTHING. Including Pam, various forms of silicone's, including spray lubes, and tire shines, Armour All, grease, baby powder, etc.. These all work, to some extent, for 1 or 2 scoops, and then, the sticking starts again.

And yes I tried the chain, it does not work either.

My bucket also has a dual taper, which is also suggested to help, with this problem. And yes, it has the air holes.

There is no simple solution, (except rent a trencher).

This is the reason why there are few buckets smaller than 12".

All the different designs for small ejector, and open sided buckets that are out there, will make sense, after you try to use a conventional one. Though they seem to be an improvement, since none of them have really "caught on", I am skeptical of their abilities also.

The open sided design seems promising, until you consider there is usually going to be a combination of dry dirt & topsoil on top of the clay. Moving this with an open sided 6" bucket, is not going to work well.

I will just plan all my narrow trenches for mid summer, if I want to use the backhoe.

/ 6" Bucket for 2310 #4  
I am looking for a smaller bucket to do some trench work but don't have the skills to make one. MF only offers a 10 or 12 inch. Are there sources for smaller buckets which would fit the 2375 hoe? Where can I begin to look? Estimates of cost? Anyone in driving range of central MA have one they want to sell or rent?
Dan