6 Foot RC Tail Wheel Adjust Issue

/ 6 Foot RC Tail Wheel Adjust Issue #1  

wirlybird

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 3038 E, John Deere 3032E, John Deere 756, John Deere X585, John Deere 332
Getting my 6 footer out and set up.
I have set the cut height to about 3 1/2 inches at the front.
I set the tail wheel in the lowest position or the position that should give the most lift at the rear but all I get is about 1 inch more height than the front.
If I set the RC for a 4 inch cut the RC is riding perpendicular to the ground and this is no good. In general it should be 1 to 2 inches higher in the rear for efficient cutting.

Anyone see an issue with the tail wheel setup?

20220514_112701.jpg

20220514_112850.jpg

/ 6 Foot RC Tail Wheel Adjust Issue #2  
Looks like you have room over the wheel to add some spacers to the pivot shaft. Possibly another inch or more.

/ 6 Foot RC Tail Wheel Adjust Issue
Looks like you have room over the wheel to add some spacers to the pivot shaft. Possibly another inch or more.
I wondered about that and if spacing it down would put any excessive forces on it.

/ 6 Foot RC Tail Wheel Adjust Issue #4  
Well, sure, a little, but the tail wheel is such an abused location already, I don't imagine it would be significant...

/ 6 Foot RC Tail Wheel Adjust Issue #5  
The inboard end of your TPH Top Link is pinned in the highest pair of holes. Pinning in the highest pair of holes decreases the adjustment available by screwing the Top Link in or out.

Move the inboard end of your TPH Top Link to the lowest pair of holes.
Pinning in the lowest pair of holes causes the rear of the rotary cutter to rise more. After pinning the inboard end of your Top Link in the lowest pair of holes your Rotary Cutter adjustment will be as you wish after fine tuning.

Your tail wheel adjustment will likely need to be bolted into one of the middle holes on the yellow painted strap after re-pinning the inboard end the Top Link through a low pair of adjustment holes.

Last edited:
Well, sure, a little, but the tail wheel is such an abused location already, I don't imagine it would be significant...
You're probably right. I'm pretty careful also. This mower is only going to be doing flat open fields with you average field grasses so it isn't going to be abused!

The other thing I was thinking to try is to flip that adjustment bar upside down so all the holes are lower.

I appreciate the suggestion.

/ 6 Foot RC Tail Wheel Adjust Issue #7  
You could just drill more holes.