Chipper 6" PTO Chipper Questions and Options

/ 6" PTO Chipper Questions and Options #1  

slaken

Tractor
MF 4608
Looking at getting a 6" chipper. I have about 10 - 15 acres to clear. Most of it is <6" hardwoods and where it is larger I'll use it for firewood. The lot has a lot of rocks, so I prefer to have a PTO on the tractor rather than trailer a chipper through the woods. I have 63 hp at the PTO, 540 and 1000 and Cat. 2. So here are my questions:

Cat. 1 versus Cat. 2
Most of the 6" chippers come with Cat. 1 hook-ups. I realize I can use bushings to make these cat. 2. One manufacturer will replace with Cat. 2. Is there any reason this should influence my decision?

540 versus 1000
One manufacturer will modify their chipper so I can use the 1000 p.t.o. Besides for the differences in speed, will one be more efficient than the other? If so, can you explain to me why? If resale were an issue, I would go with the 540. Should the use of 1000 influence my decision?

Chinese versus the world
I can buy a Chinese made one for 1/2 the price as an American, Finnish, or Canadian one. It seems the Chinese ones get good reviews. Any reason not to buy a Chinese brand?

Internal versus external hydraulics.
I definitely want the ability to feed a whole tree into the chipper, thus my need for hydraulic feed. Any reason to go with external run hydraulics versus internal? I have a remote on the back and got it for something like this.

Chipper blade
This seems to be like paint colors and everyone has their favorite. I have been told that double-edge knives are crap and told that they can be flipped. I realize they all need to be sharpened regularly and can be flipped. Any opinions regarding knives?

Warranty
Chinese brands seem to come with 3-4 year warranty and the other countries with one year. Any one have any issues with their warranty on their brands? Should warranty influence my decision?

Thank you very much for your time and I appreciate the opinions and feedback.

/ 6" PTO Chipper Questions and Options #2  
We're working on cleaning up 15 acres so far we did about one acre and it took us 50 hours and we were working hard!!
Before
image-514383843.jpg

After

image-2332534638.jpg

We have a bx 42r on a L45 it's chipped everything we asked the only thing is the labour it takes to cut and put it in the chipper and I strongly suggest that you get a forestry saw much faster and easier on the back!

image-3796316647.jpg

/ 6" PTO Chipper Questions and Options #3  
Only comment I'd make is that you don't necessarily need hydraulic feed to suck in a tree. It just helps in cases where gravity feed might be a chore. My Wallenstein BX-42 (gravity feed) will suck in an entire tree fast enough that I have to let go quick and jump back out of the way, otherwise it will beat up my hands/arms and the tree can beat me up as it gets pulled in. I learned that real quick after a few rapped knuckles and getting whacked with branches/etc. The angle of the chute allows the blades to pull material in as it gets chipped. Only the most tangled, branchy, wide stuff needs help.

Probably the main advantage if hydraulic feed is that the feeder chute can be horizontal and you can more easily cram stuff in. No need to tip up and over into an inclined chute, or help stuff along if it's tnagled or wide.

I can't see any point between 540 and 960, but maybe someone else has a comment.

No issues with my blades. Still have not needed to flip them yet. When it comes time, I will order another set for the future. Then send out the originals for sharpening when they have been used on both sides.

/ 6" PTO Chipper Questions and Options #4  
WOW!! Good questions. First let me say I have a Wallenstein BX62 which is a pto driven chipper that will handle 6" trees.

1)I see no reason cat1 vs cat2 should influence your decision UNLESS you purchase a chipper with minimum power requirements within the cat 2 tractor area. If you should purchase a chipper with minimum 60 hp requirements - you have placed a limitation on resale ability.

2) 540 vs 1000 same comments as #1 but even more so. Very few smaller tractors will have 1000 pto ability.

3) I have only owned Wallenstein and can not speak to other brands. Research threads on this site for analysis of other brands

4)If you purchase a "good" chipper there is absolutely no need for any form of hydraulics. My Wally is manual and I VERY successfully feed whole trees. As a matter of fact - the Wally grabs and pulls trees in so aggressively that it frightens many folks who come out to help me.

5) The Wally has double sided knives. I chip 500-750 small pine trees per year and faithfully sharpen the knives every three years - whether they need it or not. Again - a "good" chipper is very apt to have good blades.

6) I have had a Wallenstein chipper since 1985 and have never needed any type of warrantee service. Wally has three year warrantee.

I firmly believe you will only get what you pay for and even at that, not all the time. If there is one implement that I own that I do not want to "go wrong" while I'm standing right next to it - it would be my chipper. There are a lot of whirling shafts, rotating large chunks of steel and very sharp knives that are just waiting to "reach out and touch you". Its a matter of choice and the choice is yours.

/ 6" PTO Chipper Questions and Options #5  
I have a big ole Morbark, one of their smallest, that is rated for up to 6". Bought well used, probably manufactured about late '60s. Weighs (literally) a ton (about 1850# IIRC). My comment is that we essentially NEVER use it's full capability - anything 4" and up makes very nice fire starting and fireplace stuff. So I could have made do with a much less expensive and lighter machine. It has double-edged/reversible blades; I like that. Keep extra blade bolts on hand - they are highly torqued/stressed and prone to get the ends mangled. Mine has its own hydraulics; I like that. Easier to hook up and no chance of contaminating my pristine and expensive tractor SUDT. I'd personally stick with "standard" 540rpm - a little less strain on the tractor, which will likely stay spun up during the whole duration of your chipping adventures.

Good luck!

- Jay

/ 6" PTO Chipper Questions and Options #6  
Your analytic.
Looking at getting a 6" chipper. I have about 10 - 15 acres to clear. Most of it is <6" hardwoods and where it is larger I'll use it for firewood. The lot has a lot of rocks, so I prefer to have a PTO on the tractor rather than trailer a chipper through the woods. I have 63 hp at the PTO, 540 and 1000 and Cat. 2.
First - Why 6"? You need to analyze what 6" means - Does it mean 6" in any dimension? 6" high and 10" wide? And what do you mean
<6" hardwoods
are these nice straight 6"? Or gnarled twisty branches that you can't push into a 55 gallon drum?
I've read the Wallenstain has a "mail slot" type opening so you can take wider pieces. My 8" rated Jinma on my M4700 (42HP at PTO) has choked a little on a full 6 inch plus diameter hardwood log I tried to feed thru, but I could barely lift the log to get it into the chipper. But with REALLY gnarly branches it's nice to have a big throat.

So here are my questions:

Cat. 1 versus Cat. 2
Most of the 6" chippers come with Cat. 1 hook-ups. I realize I can use bushings to make these cat. 2. One manufacturer will replace with Cat. 2. Is there any reason this should influence my decision?
Nope

540 versus 1000
One manufacturer will modify their chipper so I can use the 1000 p.t.o. Besides for the differences in speed, will one be more efficient than the other? If so, can you explain to me why? If resale were an issue, I would go with the 540. Should the use of 1000 influence my decision?
Nope
Chinese versus the world
I can buy a Chinese made one for 1/2 the price as an American, Finnish, or Canadian one. It seems the Chinese ones get good reviews. Any reason not to buy a Chinese brand?
Support, quality.
If you want support check out well established dealers.
If you are picky about things like paint drips and EVERY bolt fitting the average chinese is not for you.
Internal versus external hydraulics.
I definitely want the ability to feed a whole tree into the chipper, thus my need for hydraulic feed. Any reason to go with external run hydraulics versus internal? I have a remote on the back and got it for something like this.
Mine will grab most anything, but if I'm cramming vines in I need a pusher stick.
Chipper blade
This seems to be like paint colors and everyone has their favorite. I have been told that double-edge knives are crap and told that they can be flipped. I realize they all need to be sharpened regularly and can be flipped. Any opinions regarding knives?
No opinion
Warranty
Chinese brands seem to come with 3-4 year warranty and the other countries with one year. Any one have any issues with their warranty on their brands? Should warranty influence my decision?
I've had no warranty issues and if I did I wouldn't expect anything to be done about it without a LOT of pain and paperwork after a year and a half.

I've probably put about 40 hard hours on the chipper in that time. The main thing I would caution is get something that doesn't break when it clogs. My Jinma will clog up, I hear the belts squeal and I disengage.

/ 6" PTO Chipper Questions and Options #7  
As posted in another thread just now:

Following extensive research, I purchased a Wallenstein BX62. Received it last week. Used for about 1 hour and am extremely impressed. My tractor has about 50 hp at the PTO. No issues with power.

My machine did not have the extra set of blades included (as stated in current promotion). I called Wallenstein and was told I needed to go thru my dealer to get the blades. Was then told "Sorry that you need to do it this way but please be assured that we will take care of you thru the dealer"

I have a good feeling about this purchase.

/ 6" PTO Chipper Questions and Options
As posted in another thread just now:

Following extensive research, I purchased a Wallenstein BX62. Received it last week. Used for about 1 hour and am extremely impressed. My tractor has about 50 hp at the PTO. No issues with power.

My machine did not have the extra set of blades included (as stated in current promotion). I called Wallenstein and was told I needed to go thru my dealer to get the blades. Was then told "Sorry that you need to do it this way but please be assured that we will take care of you thru the dealer"

I have a good feeling about this purchase.

Thanks for the information. I figured by now you must have 20 hours on it. Any comments?

/ 6" PTO Chipper Questions and Options #9  
Thanks for the information. I figured by now you must have 20 hours on it. Any comments?

20 hours?. Nope. we used it for about 4 hours this weekend.

No complaints. Very happy with performance. If I had it to do over, I'd buy this machine again.

/ 6" PTO Chipper Questions and Options #10  
And today, when I arrived at the office, I find a box containing the extra blades.

A good machine produced by good people that stand by their words.

Yes, I'm really happy with this purchase.