6 Volt Generator "TO" 6 Volt Alternator Conversion, Farmall M

/ 6 Volt Generator "TO" 6 Volt Alternator Conversion, Farmall M
You are very welcome woosh53 hope it worked out fine for you as it did for me. Just ignore SoundGuy, should be SoundZombieGuy, master of the illiterate thread.

/ 6 Volt Generator "TO" 6 Volt Alternator Conversion, Farmall M #12  
Why the personal attack? Dud it make you feel better to do so?

/ 6 Volt Generator "TO" 6 Volt Alternator Conversion, Farmall M #13  
I don't mean to sound ignorant but whats the benefit of an alternator over running the old generator. The only thing I found after doing a little research is that you no longer would need a voltage regulator is that correct?

/ 6 Volt Generator "TO" 6 Volt Alternator Conversion, Farmall M #14  
Alts need vregs too, but most of them are internal.

Benefits? Many alts can be excited as low as 400 rpm, .. Gennies are inefficient at low rpm.

Cheap 30$ 10si alt can be had in 30-50 ish amp and higher models. A ford Gen is about a 20 amp realistic max..

On the flip side gennies are more tolerant of things like accidental polarity reversals, alts cook in a second!

/ 6 Volt Generator "TO" 6 Volt Alternator Conversion, Farmall M #15  
thanks for helping clear this up. When I went and re-wired my dad's 42 willys about 8 months back forgot to re-polarize the field on the V-reg and I think I may have done a costly mistake and fried it.

A 6 volt alternator might be a consideration but if I go that route I'm thinking I might as well go with a full 12v conversion kit with a new coil. I know all the lights are 12v so I shouldn't be burning any bulbs. The kit is cheaper as well than just a 6v alternator alone. I just finished watching some vids on it and a 12v conversion appears to be pretty painless.

I found a PDF on how to test voltage regulators on Jubilee/NAA on another site that I will use to test it. If it doesn't work than alternator conversion is on its way.

/ 6 Volt Generator "TO" 6 Volt Alternator Conversion, Farmall M #16  
Be aware the generators come in 2 circuit types, A circuit and B circuit. The 2 are not interchangeable, and test differently.

Lol at the bad of the vreg. If it has a single bias resistor between the field tab and ground, it is A circuit. If it has a bias resistor between armature and field, it is B circuit. B circuit vregs may have a second bias resistor present. Naa are b circuit.

In general, polarity reversals on genny systems tend to weld field contacts, so you see high charge rates, thought could have damaged the cutout.

Standard testing involves jumpering out the cutout, is, arm to bat, if nothing, then full field while jumpers cut out.

B circuit full field jumping bat to field.

A circuit full field jumping field to ground.
See what you have before testing. A circuit was very popular before the 50's

Post back if you need help.

/ 6 Volt Generator "TO" 6 Volt Alternator Conversion, Farmall M #17  
Thanks for the advice sound. It's going to be some time before I can get back to the jeep to work on it so Im going to do some more research on the unit. Before I tackle this task I will msg you up if I come across any issues.

/ 6 Volt Generator "TO" 6 Volt Alternator Conversion, Farmall M #18  
No prob. Print out a couple of these msgs to take out to the shop, might help you I'd the circuit type.

Post back if ya need anything