60' x 100' Pole Barn Build / Questions

/ 60' x 100' Pole Barn Build / Questions #1  

ArkOma

I am putting things together to build a 60' x 100' (maybe bigger) pole barn / living quarters and I have a couple of questions.

I am going with 20' side walls as I will be storing lumber etc. on cantilever racks that are 16' tall. The living quarters / office will also be 2 stories.

My first question is the infamous steel vs wood question. I have heard the bigger you go, steel is more economical. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of that? I like the idea of wood as I am a carpenter and have worked with it for years and enjoy working with it.

My next question is on slab thickness. I will not have any heavy equipment on the slab except for my telehandler / 9000lb forklift. I am leaning to a 6" pour with fiber.

If this was your project would you go with 26ga or 29ga wall / roof panels and why?

I know I have some other questions right now but they are slipping my mind. Once I remember them, I will add them as well.

/ 60' x 100' Pole Barn Build / Questions #2  
My first question is the infamous steel vs wood question. I have heard the bigger you go, steel is more economical. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of that? I like the idea of wood as I am a carpenter and have worked with it for years and enjoy working with it.
I just priced this for a building I plan to put up and the costs were almost identical if I include everything. The trim pieces, flashing and screws for metal siding are disproportionately expensive, so if you include everything the cost between Menards metal siding and T-111 for example is almost identical. One big expense for the wood is paint. I figure 200sf per can of solid stain for T-111 because it absorbs so much paint. That adds quite a bit to the cost. Personally I prefer wood siding for lots of reasons so I'd pay a bit more to get it.

My next question is on slab thickness. I will not have any heavy equipment on the slab except for my telehandler / 9000lb forklift. I am leaning to a 6" pour with fiber.
I used 4" pour on my garage floor, that's plenty assuming it's a good mix and it's poured under reasonable conditions. I'd put wire or rebar in it, that's probably worth more than the extra concrete.

If this was your project would you go with 26ga or 29ga wall / roof panels and why?
I'd pay more attention to finish process and warranty than guage. It doesn't need to survive a meteor hit, but it will leak and look bad if it rusts.

/ 60' x 100' Pole Barn Build / Questions #3  
By steel vs wood, do you mean a wood framed (pole building) vs steel frames? or are you talking about outside siding????

/ 60' x 100' Pole Barn Build / Questions
I was talking about the main structure.

/ 60' x 100' Pole Barn Build / Questions #5  
I have been told that depending on your snow load, a steel structure will be able to span the entire 60' distance whereas a wood structure may not be aqble to (depends upon load). When i built my 30x60 i priced both, and wood was cheaper. in todays market the price of wood is down, but the price of steel is very high. I would think the wood would be cheaper.

/ 60' x 100' Pole Barn Build / Questions #6  
I would go with the 26ga for the roof and walls. It will cost a little more, 20 cents/linear foot around here. I don't think you will find much difference in the cost of steel versus wood framing. At least that is my experience. I have used steel, but that is just personal preference.

/ 60' x 100' Pole Barn Build / Questions
I am located in SE OK and wont have to worry much about snow load, but I do want it to be a clear span.

/ 60' x 100' Pole Barn Build / Questions #8  
I am located in SE OK and wont have to worry much about snow load, but I do want it to be a clear span.

Here in Idaho no structure can have a wood clear span greater then 40 feet, but i believe that is due to snow / wind load. Not sure about your neck of the woods. I know that cause i was looking into an arena awhile back with a clear span roof. Over 40 feet it has to be steel

/ 60' x 100' Pole Barn Build / Questions #9  
I have a 40x40 shop with storage over on 2nd floor with a clear span in the shop. Design criteria usually says deflection of 1/360th of the span is "normal". That's 1.3 inches of movement - I don't like bouncy floors. So I went with 18" I beams on 10 foot centers which gives me about 125 psf floor loading on 2nd floor. Doesn't move much at all even when jumping on it. I don't think it is practical to do this in wood even though I'm sure it can be done. So decide what you really want for a design and price it both ways. Pick the one you prefer.

/ 60' x 100' Pole Barn Build / Questions #10  
I was talking about the main structure.

Sorry, thought you meant metal vs wood siding. They make 60' wood trusses so you could have a clear span, especially without a snow load, but I have no idea what the relative cost is compared to steel.