6013 vs 7014 vs 7018

/ 6013 vs 7014 vs 7018
Before I retired I was a certified welder(pipe).Started with 6013 about 1972,great all around rod.As we moved to nuclear work 7018 was the norm with tig root and hot pass.6013 is always used when there is a "gap";not impossible with 7018 but much more difficult.
6013;if its rusty,dirty or painted.7018 is stronger but needs a clean surface.

How about 6013 vs 1714? Is it mostly the same except for the tensile strength, or does 1714 require clean metal while 6013 you could still get away with it being less than perfect?

/ 6013 vs 7014 vs 7018
You mean thats not pocket change for you................

Ha! Well I could afford it, but I do need to justify the expense to feel good about the purchase. Otherwise, I feel baaaaaaad! :D

/ 6013 vs 7014 vs 7018 #93  
Issue is more where they break. Suitcase feeder with flux core wire would work.... The welding itself isn't really that bad, most of it is the cutting apart and all the other prep work
Suddenly a mig welder would become a reality for me................

/ 6013 vs 7014 vs 7018 #94  
Issue is more where they break. Suitcase feeder with flux core wire would work.... The welding itself isn't really that bad, most of it is the cutting apart and all the other prep work

I choose 99% mig welding with shielded gas, you can "do pre-welding metal cleanup" (if you are using old and dirty base materials) with shielded gas mig, or "post-welding metal cleanup" with flux core mig or stick rod.

And 99% of my welding is in my garage, if I had to weld something outside I'd just use flux core wire in the mig.

I can purchase a lot of spool wire and gas for the price of some of these high price sticks...

KC :2cents:

/ 6013 vs 7014 vs 7018 #95  
The problem isn't always clean (although there are spots where plasma or air arc gouging is as much cleanup as is possible, no room for a grinder. More so being outside. Wind plus gas equals porosity
I choose 99% mig welding with shielded gas, you can "do pre-welding metal cleanup" (if you are using old and dirty base materials) with shielded gas mig, or "post-welding metal cleanup" with flux core mig or stick rod.

And 99% of my welding is in my garage, if I had to weld something outside I'd just use flux core wire in the mig.

I can purchase a lot of spool wire and gas for the price of some of these high price sticks...

KC :2cents:

/ 6013 vs 7014 vs 7018 #96  
Hmmm, "bed frames", if I'm cutting up and just bolting together I'll trust them, otherwise I consider them to be "mystery metal".

Tapping one on my metal welding table they have a higher pitch sound, so they must have some higher carbon content...

And they remind me for comparison, of T6 aluminum versus 6061 aluminum, T6 is stronger (tapping on welding table produces a higher pitch sound) but only 6061 can be formed...

KC
Must sleep on a waterbed........... I made all sorts of stuff with bed frames, small atv trailers, atv racks, shelf brackets, anything I want strong and yet light......

/ 6013 vs 7014 vs 7018 #97  
The problem isn't always clean (although there are spots where plasma or air arc gouging is as much cleanup as is possible, no room for a grinder. More so being outside. Wind plus gas equals porosity

Yeah stick is better on dirty steel but if can clean with grinder, mig the only way to weld. At BIW someone somewhere is mig/pulse welding outside all the time around the clock, wind and rain is always diverted with temp made up shielding out of tarp or something, sometimes snow is removed first for welding, good thing some prefer outside work...........

/ 6013 vs 7014 vs 7018 #98  
I'm certainly not denying mig has its place. I do as much of my welding as possible with my powermig 260 and either solid wire or dual shield.
But there are lots of time stick welding is just required. Either due to access or material properties.
Yeah stick is better on dirty steel but if can clean with grinder, mig the only way to weld. At BIW someone somewhere is mig/pulse welding outside all the time around the clock, wind and rain is always diverted with temp made up shielding out of tarp or something, sometimes snow is removed first for welding, good thing some prefer outside work...........

/ 6013 vs 7014 vs 7018 #100