610 Mule Battery Replacement

/ 610 Mule Battery Replacement #1  

Alan W.

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3650 & Bobcat 763G & Craftsman DGS6500
My sons JackA$$, thats what ya call a small mule, battery died so I looked at replaceing it with a larger lawn mower type.
They sell kits to do this but they are high for what ya get. So I improvised with some 3/4 inch wide flat stock I had on hand.
The holes are spaced 5.75 inches center to center. The bottom piece has to be ground close to flush with the hole on one end
for clearance. The battery sits over a little and I may put a piece of treated plywood under it for extra support. I placed some
foam tape under the top piece and snugged it down.
My son sandblasted and powdercoated the brackets. We now have a 340CCA to replace the 190 CCA it had. 297B706B-743B-4204-8AB9-D2AF56DE3CBC.jpeg6C0B92A1-8EFC-46B4-9217-357303F7D94A.jpeg807009C6-334A-43D5-978E-2D941504E850.jpegD0A864CD-E78A-4CD8-8243-B4BEB6E02524.jpeg98C378E8-035C-4502-AACF-0DA08F570334.jpeg

/ 610 Mule Battery Replacement #2  
I had a hard time replacing my bigger Mule Diesel Battery. Weird Size. The dealer ordered one and a small Motorcycle Battery showed up. So, I got an Everstart at Walmart that fit. Bonus, was that it comes iwth a nice plastic tray to keep corrosion off the metal floor. I often clean, paint and then put heat shrink over the battery hold down brackets.

/ 610 Mule Battery Replacement #3  
I also replaced my Mule battery with a bigger one. I just found a battery that was about twice as long as the original battery so I didn’t have to re configure the clamps. I don’t know why they used such a tiny battery in these. It’s not like it’s electric start optional. For those not familiar with it there’s no pull rope and you can’t roll it off so the starter is the only option.

/ 610 Mule Battery Replacement
The battery that came on his was a liitle Yusa wet cell motorcycle battery. Poor excuse in my opinion.

/ 610 Mule Battery Replacement #5  
I did the same conversion several years ago on our Mule 610. I went with a cheap 12v riding mower battery from Walmart.
It sure beats buying the expensive motorcycle batteries every few years.

/ 610 Mule Battery Replacement #6  
It's a good upgrade to system plus save some expense,as long as you don't overdo it. Having a battery with large storage capacity "THEN" depleting charge can harm charging system. I said can,not will. The charging system can overheat and be subject to damage if machine is continuously operated while recharging depleted battery. The charging system can be intermittently disabled to alow cooling if machine must be operated for long period. I solved mine with a L&G battery as has been mentioned plus a large second battery that I don't alow system to charge unless primary battery is topped off and no accessories are being used. The extra battery is used when heavier winch and aux light duty is required then put on charge after returning home or to camp. Everyone I know that switched to a L&G battery had no problem.

/ 610 Mule Battery Replacement #7  
I put a yellow top Optima in my 610. Hung it from the bars under the seat. No more battery issues.