6105 Smoke at startup - idle bobbles

/ 6105 Smoke at startup - idle bobbles #1  

OkieFarmer78

Tractor
John Deere 6105M
I have a 6105M, with a tick over 800 hours. Tractor has been rock solid, until now. Tractor, if not started for a few days, will bellow out white smoke at start up. The idle will also bobble while this is happening. Not to the point of stalling, but It certainly fluctuates. Smoke will eventually clear, but can take 4-6 minutes. Sometimes, it will start fine, and run for a few seconds “normally” and then start the smoke show. If it’s been started and ran, subsequent start ups are normal with no smoking. Ambient temperature has been 80° Or warmer. Curious if anyone else has had similar issues? Oil seems clear - not milky. My worst-case thoughts, we’re either a bad head gasket or leaking injector (over fueling?).

Any help or suggestions would be fantastic!

Last edited:
   / 6105 Smoke at startup - idle bobbles #2  
I have a 6105M, with a tick over 800 hours. Tractor has been rock solid, until now. Tractor, if not started for a few days, will bellow out white smoke at start up. The idle will also bobble while this is happening. Not to the point of stalling, but It certainly fluctuates. Smoke will eventually clear, but can take 4-6 minutes. Sometimes, it will start fine, and run for a few seconds “normally” and then start the smoke show. If it’s been started and ran, subsequent start ups are normal with no smoking. Ambient temperature has been 80° Or warmer. Curious if anyone else has had similar issues? Oil seems clear - not milky. My worst-case thoughts, we’re either a bad head gasket or leaking injector (over fueling?).

Any help or suggestions would be fantastic!
Is the oil level high, or does the oil seem thin like it has fuel in it?

/ 6105 Smoke at startup - idle bobbles
Is the oil level high, or does the oil seem thin like it has fuel in it?
Yes. I checked that and it does seem a little high. However, I don’t have a history on the machine and Ive only put around 9 hours on it since we purchased it. I just drained the oil, and will be sending it in for analysis.

If it’s over fueling from bad injectors, shouldn’t it do it all the time? As in the smoke be constant?

/ 6105 Smoke at startup - idle bobbles #4  
G'day Mate and welcome to TBN from Downunder.

White smoke can mean that there is some water in your fuel... is there any indication in your fuel bowl?

Enjoy the site, from wherever in the world you are.

/ 6105 Smoke at startup - idle bobbles #5  
white smoke...water in fuel or sometimes it means there's a new pope...

/ 6105 Smoke at startup - idle bobbles #6  
Yes. I checked that and it does seem a little high. However, I don’t have a history on the machine and Ive only put around 9 hours on it since we purchased it. I just drained the oil, and will be sending it in for analysis.

If it’s over fueling from bad injectors, shouldn’t it do it all the time? As in the smoke be constant?
Oil analysis is perfect idea, please let us know. Keep an eye on fresh oil level, if it goes up enough to notice. probably shut down and wait for analysis results.

Mean time, get some fuel off the bottom of tank, check for water. If you have it, drain, clean, and treat the tank. If no water from bottom of tank, drain sediment bowl, and replace fuel filter (buy a couple if you don't have one). See how she does.

take off radiator cap, get engine to temp, watch for bubbles .

As others have said, white smoke is normally water. Injector/pump problems can be intermittent.

Please let us know.

best,

ed

G'day Mate and welcome to TBN from Downunder.

White smoke can mean that there is some water in your fuel... is there any indication in your fuel bowl?

Enjoy the site, from wherever in the world you are.
Thanks! - No indication of contaminated fuel. I did check that
white smoke...water in fuel or sometimes it means there's a new pope...
Right! 😂
Oil analysis is perfect idea, please let us know. Keep an eye on fresh oil level, if it goes up enough to notice. probably shut down and wait for analysis results.

Mean time, get some fuel off the bottom of tank, check for water. If you have it, drain, clean, and treat the tank. If no water from bottom of tank, drain sediment bowl, and replace fuel filter (buy a couple if you don't have one). See how she does.

take off radiator cap, get engine to temp, watch for bubbles .

As others have said, white smoke is normally water. Injector/pump problems can be intermittent.

Please let us know.

best,

ed
Absolutly!

UPDATE: So I discussed this with my local dealer, and explained the symptoms. They said EGR cooler - and when this fails, the coolant pools when the machine is turned off. Causing the starting issue/smoke/idle issues, and then clears up once its burned off. I will most likely just have them replace this, and update back with the final results. I think its still prudent to complete the UOA.

Last edited:
   / 6105 Smoke at startup - idle bobbles #8  
Glad you got it! And thanks for passing on the solution.

Probably would not have guessed that, Is there a path to check/drain the fluid pre-start 'till the parts come?

best,

ed

Not to my knowledge. Pulling the cooler is quite a pain..... If left sitting for an extended period, there is quite a large amount of fluid that is leaking into the cooler. With that said, I will not be starting the machine for fear of hydolock etc. If was just a small amount I wouldnt be as worried. I've reached out to a few in my area, and I think a full delete of the EGR is probably the best path. No chance for another $1500 cooler to fail...cleaner intake air...etc etc.

/ 6105 Smoke at startup - idle bobbles #10  
OkieFarmer78,
If you are getting white smoke, I would be looking for water or coolant in the combustion cylinder as cause of white smoke. Black or gray smoke indicative of partially burnt diesel fuel.

Is the radiator fluid low? Sign of leakage from cooling system into combustion cylinder. Are you getting any foaming in the radiator. Sign of combustion gases leaking back into cooling system and showing up as bubbles or foaming. Has the tractor ever overheated or run substantially hotter than expected or normal?

The common way for water to get into cylinder is either casting flaw or leaking head gasket. When engine is stopped and cooling down the water gets pulled into cylinder due to partial vacuum and the cooling system may have some residual pressure due to heat.

If you are leaking water into the combustion cylinder then you run risk of hydraulic lock because the cylinder has filled with water. Lots of really bad expensive stuff happens at that point.

I would be running a compression test on each cylinder. The leaking one(s) will be obvious. The other method is a pressure test/ leak down test on the radiator but the tools are a bit more expensive.