6ft Rotory Tiller not getting job done

/ 6ft Rotory Tiller not getting job done #1  

saxon11

Bronze Member
Tractor
TYM T474
New 48hp tractor and 6ft Tar River tiller. Others told me this tiller is a good unit, and I trust their opinion. My land hasn't been farmed in 3 years, so weeds have grown. I mowed the weeds down first. I then hookup up my tiller and gave it a try. Ground is clay, loam so not exactly peat. The tiller's Slip-Clutch PTO protection keep the tines from running most of the time, basically making very little progress. I went over the land three times, having to adjust 3pt manually up just scraping the dirt so didn't engage the Slip=Clutch PTO protection. Painfully slow process. End result is maybe 2-3 inches of depth of till.

I'm wondering if I first need to get a small cultivator this run over this ground first? I have about 6 more acres to go and seems very inefficient to continue with the tiller like this. Can anyone think i'm missing anything here? I'd love to just keep the tiller on and not swap it out and buy another implement (plus hooking up the tiller was a pain in the @ss). Thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-04-27 at 8.10.12 PM.jpeg
    Screenshot 2022-04-27 at 8.10.12 PM.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 439
   / 6ft Rotory Tiller not getting job done #2  
Slip clutch may be too loose. Read the manual and see how to adjust it is where I would start. Or take back to the dealer since they are new and you just bought them.

/ 6ft Rotory Tiller not getting job done #3  
The clutch needs to be adjusted. Ive had new implements come with incorrectly set clutches more often than not. Those clutches aren't made to be continually slipped and they'll burn up quite quick so try not to run it that way until you get the right torque specs.

/ 6ft Rotory Tiller not getting job done #5  
Two things. One, is the idea already stated, adjust the clutch. The second is to slow the ground speed of the tractor to as slow as it will go.

Once the clutch is adjusted the ground speed may be increased after the first pass.

The virgin ground is not helping your problem. If you can obtain a moldboard plow and plow the area first.

It might be best just to hire someone to plow the field first since they should have their plow adjusted correctly.

/ 6ft Rotory Tiller not getting job done #6  
Is it a reverse direction or tine tiller? Or Can it be converted to reverse dorection? Tilled 5 acres similar to your predicament went much better after I decided to plow it first with a two bottom.

/ 6ft Rotory Tiller not getting job done
Is it a reverse direction or tine tiller? Or Can it be converted to reverse dorection? Tilled 5 acres similar to your predicament went much better after I decided to plow it first with a two bottom.
forward tine tiller

Last edited:
   / 6ft Rotory Tiller not getting job done #9  
I have never ran a tiller without discing first. I've seen people do it. They were good at replacing slip clutches and replacing chains.

Last edited:
   / 6ft Rotory Tiller not getting job done
Slip clutch may be too loose. Read the manual and see how to adjust it is where I would start. Or take back to the dealer since they are new and you just bought them.
I did call them and mentioned to me it was adjusted already. But yes I agree that is what is what I should mess with. I got under the tiller and found the bolts by springs under to make adjustments.