Backhoe 7 backhoe stump test

/ 7 backhoe stump test #1  

WartsilaDiesel

Tractor
JD 790 4X4 w/ filled R-4's
Hello, all. I've been anonymously viewing the John Deere threads for a few weeks since getting bitten by the tractor bug. The resulting fever culminated in my first CUT (or any tractor, for that matter) purchase - JD 790 4x4 w/ filled R-4's, 419 loader, & 7 backhoe. Well, I had to come clean - I've registered and here's my first post! Anyway, I love my Deere and it has easily exceeded my expectations of performance for any job I've given it so far. Believe me we've been busy; after only two weeks, the Green Gobblin' is ready for its 50-hour planned maintenance! Check out my White Pine stump test here in the rocky soil of northern New England...

Attachments

• 511775-Big Stump.jpg
    511775-Big Stump.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 777
   / 7 backhoe stump test
View #2

Attachments

• 511782-Big Stump 2.jpg
    511782-Big Stump 2.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 605
   / 7 backhoe stump test #3  
Welcome aboard WD, that's a mighty familiar looking tractor you've got there. I haven't taken out any stumps yet but have had plenty of other fun (work) with my #7 hoe.

Question for you though... With that stump worked free, what do you plan on doing with it? Seems that'll be a bit big for the 790 to lift/move won't it?

Thanks for posting and congrats on your new machine /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ 7 backhoe stump test
The stump came out; the hole got bigger; the stump went below grade. Chances are, it'll be a really long time before I'll even notice the spot where it'll rot away. This was a bit too much for the loader to handle, but the BH easily maneuvered it up out of the dig where I could prep the hole for planting it out of sight, out of mind. BTW, Thanks for the welcome aboard!

/ 7 backhoe stump test #5  
Wartsila....
Your profile is not filled out completely, just wondering if you're in Nova Scotia ?? We have a Wartsila Operation here in Halifax our capital city. Question for you is how did you get the roots cut off ??? I started my stump(s) on the weekend & got rained out but after about 2-1/2 hours, I still can't get it to even move. I've attached a pic. Did you pull it out with the #7 or the tractor ??

Attachments

• 511827-Stump #1.jpg
    511827-Stump #1.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 404
   / 7 backhoe stump test
Pleased to meet you GoodGuy! I'm in New Hampshire and my screenname refers to the diesel engines I'm most familiar with as a Marine Engineer. Part of my stump test required no use of chainsaws, pickaxes, or shovels. The roots were severed solely by the digging force of my #7! I was, and am, very impressed... This wasn't my first stump, though; I had to work my way up until I was confident the Green Gobblin' could take on this task. I've had the best luck working from the periphery toward the center - snap those tendrils off all around the base, then corkscrew the stump out with the BH bucket. My stump test logged 3.2 hours on my 790 hourmeter - definitely not 3.2 hours of work, but fun!

/ 7 backhoe stump test #7  
Awesome! Glad to see you're getting your $$ worth out of the BH. I'll bet you recently saw the post about small BH's, and are they worth buying. I'll tell ya, I've done a lot of work with mine as well. I have no doubt that it's been worth the money spent. I still have a ways to go too - lots more stumping to go /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

/ 7 backhoe stump test #8  
I hope you didn't get any scratches on that pretty green paint! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ 7 backhoe stump test #9  
Marine engineer?? Ever hear of Webb Institute in Long Island?

And congrats on the tractor. The 790 is great and should last you a lifetime.

Peter