7014 Break test.

/ 7014 Break test. #1  

Shield Arc

Tractor
John Deere, 4200
1/8-inch 7014, took 10-blows from a 4-pound hammer to break the plates, the weld really snapped.

/ 7014 Break test. #2  
So the end results are??

6010......10 blows
6011......8 blows
7014......10 blows
7018......18 blows +

I personally still like my 7014.

I have built/repaired countless things with it and yet to have anything fail due to a poor weld.

Just to entertain us some more, how about doing that same test with a MIG weld and possibly a TIG weld just so we can see how the other forms of welding stack up:thumbsup:

And...You sure you werent taking baby swings at that 7018 to get it to last 18 hits:laughing:

/ 7014 Break test. #3  
So the end results are??

6010......10 blows
6011......8 blows
7014......10 blows
7018......18 blows +

:

Ahhhh.....You're forgetting about 6013 with 3 blows..??

I've said it before.....I'll stick to my 7018 thanx..!!

/ 7014 Break test. #4  
Is welding kinda like tying knots......"If you can't tie a knot...Just tie alot"...:laughing:

/ 7014 Break test. #5  
Should there be any difference at all in the strength of the 70xx welds?

/ 7014 Break test. #6  
Should there be any difference at all in the strength of the 70xx welds?

The 70xx only represents tensile strength, and yes all 70XX will be silmilar in tensile strength of roughly 70,000 pounds minumum. That said, tensile strength is only part of the factor in determining overall strength of a weld.

Ductility also is an important factor too. Metal or welds can be strong in tensile mode, but extemely brittle in bending modes or shock loads or vibration modes.

Example: Take a hand file that you file metal or wood with. It is strong enough to pull a locomotive if you used it longways and applied a steady non-shock type load. Yet clamp it in a vice and you could probably easily snap it half with a small hammer with a small blow to the side of it.

/ 7014 Break test. #7  
The 70xx only represents tensile strength, and yes all 70XX will be silmilar in tensile strength of roughly 70,000 pounds minumum. That said, tensile strength is only part of the factor in determining overall strength of a weld.

Ductility also is an important factor too. Metal or welds can be strong in tensile mode, but extemely brittle in bending modes or shock loads or vibration modes.

Example: Take a hand file that you file metal or wood with. It is strong enough to pull a locomotive if you used it longways and applied a steady non-shock type load. Yet clamp it in a vice and you could probably easily snap it half with a small hammer with a small blow to the side of it.

Any chance of stretching the welds? lol I imagine that is basically what's going on when you hammer it the other way.

/ 7014 Break test. #8  
Thanks Shield Arc!!! This has been a very interesting series of tests. It puts it in numbers that people like me can easily understand. The measure of a HAMMER BLOW. :drink: