72" RFM questions

/ 72" RFM questions #1  

Anonymous Poster

72\" RFM questions

Must admit I didn't do my homework very well. The Frontier finish mower which I purchased, has spacers on all four float wheels which must be moved to change the cut height. Is this the way most/all RFMs are? Any secrets as to how to best use the RFM, full float on the wheels?

/ 72" RFM questions #2  
Re: 72\" RFM questions

My Bush Hog finish mower also had the spacers for all 4 wheels and, yes, I mowed with the mower in full float; just riding on those 4 wheels.

/ 72" RFM questions #3  

All of the RFM I've seen (LandPride, Woods, Bush Hog, KingKutter, Caroni, and a few others) have the spacers for adjusting the height, so I'm guessing that's they way they all do it. It can be a pain if you change the height often. Fortunately for me, I don't change the height very often. I almost always run the mower with it riding on all four caster wheels. Occasionally, I'll raise it up with 3pt to get over a hump or something.

/ 72" RFM questions

I use mine full float. It has the spacers and I have it set all the way up. It'll scalp the ground over a hump but I figure that I'll drag those areas down with the grader and once they have grown over it'll make a smoother lawn.

/ 72" RFM questions

The bigger the mower deck, the more scalping. It is inevitable.
Just smooth out the scalped spots until you have a nice even cut.