75 acres of timber with house - trails, small garden, invasive control

/ 75 acres of timber with house - trails, small garden, invasive control #21  
You're going to need a way to clear brush on that until the trees you plant are large enough to shade it out. Then you're going to need to thin those trees. Otherwise it'll be a highly flammable mess. You may want to move the logs too. At least the logs are a one time thing that you can hire a suitable machine and operator and just have it done. It'd be a lot of work with a chainsaw tractor and grapple.

The brush clearing may be more than can be done with a reasonably affordable unit. It might be more like a tracked skid steer with a forestry mulcher on it. Just the mulcher costs $60k or so.

The suggestion above of talking to your state forester (or their local rep) to get advice is a good one. In a lot of states it's free. Often there are payments or tax breaks for land management that meets state goals like wildlife habitat. A plan made by professionals should cost you less in the long run than making it up as you go, and get you results faster.

/ 75 acres of timber with house - trails, small garden, invasive control #22  
I'm totally new to these machines and their pricing, capabilities, limits... I saw something I liked the specs of, and made a call to get a price. If it was half that cost, with 5 year financing... I think it might have been something I could convince the wife of. New and reliable and no (major) maintenance is nice insurance.
So can we assume your upper limit is about $60K or so?
That gives us a target.
That Yanmar seems like a fair deal, it could be used for small jobs (and if you could convince the wife to use it could take some of the workload off you.) Puttering around a small garden is a pain in a 50HP tractor.
From your picture it seems you've got a lot of big leftover on the ground. You need to figure out what it's worth milling logs that have lain on the ground for years. In Mississippi an untreated pine on the ground might rot to unmillable in 4 years.
But you'll probably want 50 HP and lot's of implements, so save money for implements. And scan the marketplaces (FB, CL, auctions) for used equipment.
What I did was establish a need for an implement then set a time frame, usually a year, to find it used. If I couldn't find it used in decent condition then finally I'd buy it new.
Good luck.

/ 75 acres of timber with house - trails, small garden, invasive control
You're going to need a way to clear brush on that until the trees you plant are large enough to shade it out. Then you're going to need to thin those trees. Otherwise it'll be a highly flammable mess. You may want to move the logs too. At least the logs are a one time thing that you can hire a suitable machine and operator and just have it done. It'd be a lot of work with a chainsaw tractor and grapple.

The brush clearing may be more than can be done with a reasonably affordable unit. It might be more like a tracked skid steer with a forestry mulcher on it. Just the mulcher costs $60k or so.

The suggestion above of talking to your state forester (or their local rep) to get advice is a good one. In a lot of states it's free. Often there are payments or tax breaks for land management that meets state goals like wildlife habitat. A plan made by professionals should cost you less in the long run than making it up as you go, and get you results faster.
We met with the state forester for this region during our inspection period of the purchase. He said half the trees on the ~40 acres or so that had been logged in 2017/2018 had died. He said a (seedling) tree, delivery, and planting costs about $1. At 50% restocking needed (so 100 trees per acre, from the required total of 200 per acre) that's $4000. Which we negotiated for off the closing of the property. So we don't really need to worry about getting things in-line for the tax deferral (already registered with the state), we just need to ensure by next spring we've got new trees planted. As well as showing that we're making reasonable progress on keeping the invasives at bay (and reducing them). These consist mainly of Himalayan blackberry and Scotch broom... which could be as "simple" as using herbicides as far as the state is concerned (though this isn't what we want to be a primary solution).

I don't see any immediate reason why we couldn't live here for 20+ years (maybe more, but who knows). The place so far has been like a dream.

My wife has become interested in scanning craigslist tractor/equipment ads... and did come across a guy locally who talked about brush clearing... so getting a quote wouldn't be a bad idea. Similarly for the idea of getting someone to clean up the logs, I think going forward falling trees and milling them wouldn't be as frequent once the remnant piles are cleaned up.

So can we assume your upper limit is about $60K or so?
That gives us a target.
That Yanmar seems like a fair deal, it could be used for small jobs (and if you could convince the wife to use it could take some of the workload off you.) Puttering around a small garden is a pain in a 50HP tractor.
From your picture it seems you've got a lot of big leftover on the ground. You need to figure out what it's worth milling logs that have lain on the ground for years. In Mississippi an untreated pine on the ground might rot to unmillable in 4 years.
But you'll probably want 50 HP and lot's of implements, so save money for implements. And scan the marketplaces (FB, CL, auctions) for used equipment.
What I did was establish a need for an implement then set a time frame, usually a year, to find it used. If I couldn't find it used in decent condition then finally I'd buy it new.
Good luck.
I think for the right machine, with financing, $60k wouldn't be out of the question. But from what I'm hearing, there might not be a single machine for what I need, and also that some machines I wouldn't need but once or few times ever.

The Mecalac MCR series is very very attractive, but my wife has already shot that down pretty severely. If I was in some sort of industry where I could use it for profit, I think it would make more sense.

I was also just talking to the wife and saying that the little tractor could be an easy low-risk entry point, monetarily. We'd at least be able to prepare the garden areas easily. I definitely understand the sentiment that a larger machine would make things harder in a small garden. Earlier someone mentioned parts availability, and that's definitely a concern that I haven't fully alleviated yet. A decade ago I'd have already found whether a rear-main engine seal was available, and how much it cost. I'm in a bit of a different mindspace right now... been so distracted with the property search for the last 14-15 months basically full-time other than my day-job. Now working on getting things tied up at the city house, and things cleaned up at the country house (i.e. scrubbing all the cabinets/shelves in the house).

So far my new pulaski (hand-tool) has been pretty effective... but I definitely can't move logs or grade the road with that!

/ 75 acres of timber with house - trails, small garden, invasive control #25  
Take a look at the auctions.
There's one in your neck of the woods every month: link

I've bought attachments and a car through them; it is an auction so sometimes you get killer crazy good deals.. and sometimes people bid it up over what it's worth. Remember also that you'll pay 10% premium over your bid to the auction house as well, consider that in your bidding.

/ 75 acres of timber with house - trails, small garden, invasive control #26  
Invasive species consist mainly of Himalayan blackberry and Scotch broom... which could be as "simple" as using herbicides as far as the state is concerned (though this isn't what we want to be a primary solution).

For Himalyan Blackberries use a Rotary Cutter/Bush Hog to scalp them.

Followup with Crossbow or Rural King's Crossroad herbicide on subsequent sprouts. Both identical formula. (2-4d + Triclopyr)
Vigorous Himalyan Blackberrries will be harder to eradicate than my 24" native Florida Blackberrries.

I have no experience with Scotch Broom.

Last edited:
For Himalyan Blackberries use a Rotary Cutter/Bush Hog to scalp them.

I see so much back and forth on flail vs bush hog... I guess I might as well get some more opinions here too. From what I've read/seen, flail seems like the way to go (better cut, better mulching, easier to maneuver), except that if the drum gets dented repairs can be costly.

I'm thinking that maybe I will just start with a pull-behind bush hog or flail mower. There's a 44" swisher rough cut on craigslist nearby for $1200, while the 48" "titan" (read: chinese import) is $2700 (new).

I rode my ATV on across some side-slopes earlier and tugged on the handle bars and tried to lift the wheels (i.e. simulate flipping sideways) and it felt solidly planted. So maybe while I scan the ads/auctions for a bigger piece of equipment, I will start with something the ATV can tug around... just to keep things generally in check and re-open overgrown trails. Obviously won't be able to grade or move earth... but at least it will get something done. It's hard to tell if it will end up being a waste of money, or if I'd just be able to resell if it didn't work out for my needs.

/ 75 acres of timber with house - trails, small garden, invasive control #28  
A single spindle Rotary Cutter has 50 parts. There are only two blades to sharpen.

A similar width Flail has 300 parts.

I prefer simplicity in implements.

(I have not actually counted the number of parts in either.)

I will guesstimate that Rotary Cutters outsell Flails 60:1 in Florida.

/ 75 acres of timber with house - trails, small garden, invasive control #29  
I work 80 acres of tree farm in Pacific County, Washington with slopes and wintertime mud. I use a 25 HP CUT (any brand will work). If you have winter mud like mine, consider R1 tires instead of the R4 tires CUTs usually come with. A little hill on an unpaved skid road will put you out of business in the winter with R4s.

That size of tractor will pull out any log you are likely to feel comfortable falling (unless you are a professional faller).

/ 75 acres of timber with house - trails, small garden, invasive control #30  
I think that you would be better served with a larger tractor. Older or rebuilt tractors pre-electronics and emissions controls are simpler, easier to work on and generally cheaper. Just be selective and careful. With what you are wanting to use it for, I would stay away from crawlers. They do excellent work, but would be difficult to move around on 75 acres. Plus they tear up the ground. A backhoeloader would be nice.