755 4WD Front Axle Problem

/ 755 4WD Front Axle Problem #1  

carl755

Tractor
John Deere 755 MFWD
New to site.

I have a 755 MFWD (1991) and have lost power in my front axle when in 4WD.
Trying to figure out where the problem is located. I know I have power in the
front drive shaft, no unusual noise, just no power in the front wheels.
I drained the lubricant, and found no metal shavings.

I was moving some dirt, moving forward and backward, then traveled on a blacktop road, forgot to take it out of 4WD. Found the problem a couple of days later.

My key issue is how to trace the failure to left side, right side etc. The front wheels will turn, but have no pulling power.
I have dropped the front drive shaft, and have access to the input gear, so can turn it by hand.

/ 755 4WD Front Axle Problem #2  
Hmmm.... as far as I know, ther are no keyways or shear pins in any of the front axle connections. All the gears are splined to their shafts. My first thought is that a gear has decided to spit it's teeth out. You may have to start opening up the front axle to find the culprit.

If it does turn out to be a shelled out axle component, shoot me a private message... I have a spare front axle assembly (minus the right knuckle/hub) that I'm not using.

/ 755 4WD Front Axle Problem #3  
If you lift the front end off the ground, will one wheel spin in one direction while the other in the opposite when you make one of them turn? How much resistance do you feel?
This should help identify where the problem is.

/ 755 4WD Front Axle Problem #4  
If I understand you correctly, since you have dropped the front driveshaft and can turn it freely by hand, and NEITHER of the front wheels turn along with it, then you have either broken the input shaft that the pinion gear is on, or as others suggested the teeth on the pinion (and/or ring gear) or broken off. If the problem were only on the left side or right side, then when you turn the input shaft the wheel on the opposite (good) side *should* rotate.

/ 755 4WD Front Axle Problem #5  
You say you can turn the input shaft but the front wheels do not turn? Looks like there is a reduction gear between the input shaft and pinion shaft on that little fella. Here is a parts blow out. Error java.lang.NullPointerException
Let me know if the link doesn't work.

/ 755 4WD Front Axle Problem
mechanos,dsmau,kebo,kjung17

Thanks for your replies. I'll try to answer all of your questions.
First, the wheels will turn most of the time, and they do counter rotate as they should. There is just no pulling power. Something is sheared or broken, but may be touching to the point that the wheels still will turn, most of the time.

Thanks to the lube fill hole, I can tell when the left axle shaft is turning, but I do not have that luxury on the right hand side (no view hole). I have been told that "if the input spins and no wheels move and the shaft on the left spins, the problem is on the left side final. If the input spins and no wheels move and the shaft on the left does not spin the problem is in the right side." in my case that points to the right side.
What throws me is that sometimes both wheels turn, one counter rotating, but you can stop them very easily. It is almost like a shaft is severed, yet touching.
Any ideas what a JD shop would do with something like this, just start a tear down?
It appears to me per my "Shop Manual" one must start at the (hub) final to get into the axle, unless of course you would go in at the differential.
Yesterday, I removed the right hand wheel, and turned the spindle that holds the wheel, and it sounds just fine, no noise, just the normal pressure one would feel when turning gears in a shaft.
I have drained all of the lubricant from the front axle.

Thanks........

/ 755 4WD Front Axle Problem #7  
I had one that sheared all the bolts holding the ring gear on. Sounds like you may have the same thing. #15 in illustration. I would think if you had teeth stripped on a gear, you would hear some noise when turning the axle or driveshaft.

Attachments

• MP8374_________UN01JAN94.gif
    MP8374_________UN01JAN94.gif
    19 KB · Views: 3,016
   / 755 4WD Front Axle Problem #8  
Well, if you done all the diagnosing that you can do, I don't see any other choice but to start a systematic tear down. Based on what you've described, I'd be looking for either a shaft that twisted in two or a stripped splines between one of the gears and it's shaft.

/ 755 4WD Front Axle Problem #9  
Here is a better pic of that differential. I would check the input shaft #18. I suspect the spline connection between 18 and 19. This failure would produce very little material and the symptoms you describe. This would also be a relatively cheap fix.
755mfwd.JPG

/ 755 4WD Front Axle Problem
mechanos & kjung17 - Thanks to you both

kjung17 I have the 'cover' #59 already off. I have been turning the input gear # 19 for my testing since I removed the cover. Is it your thinking that the splines on #18 are just holding enough that I can turn the wheels by hand using the input gear #19?
If true, it appears that #18 will simply pull out of the differential. That indeed would be a simple fix.
I can't get to it until later next week, but I will let you know what happens.

Looks like we may be in for some snow in MO.