755 turn on headlights tractor dies

/ 755 turn on headlights tractor dies #1  

kude

Gold Member
I've been mowing in the ditch in front of my house . I usually have the flashers going as a warning. It was getting dark and I then switched on the headlights and the tractor died. No power, nothing, dead. I checked fuses and they seem okay. Anybody got a clue on what''s going on?

Last year I put a new ignition switch in and everything has been running fine until now.

Agauin I have a model 755 compact tractor.

/ 755 turn on headlights tractor dies #2  
My guess would be a very weak battery, and/or a bad alternator. My theory is that the voltage is just high enough to pull in the fuel solenoid and when the headlights came on the voltage dropped to much.

/ 755 turn on headlights tractor dies #3  
Kude-

Give us more info. Did it restart when you shutoff the headlights?

If it's a weak alternator/battery- Mine stopped charging, and it ended up being a fatigued connection at the alternator output ring terminal. You can't see it under the rubber boot. All I had to do was crimp oa new connector on.

Hope yours is that simple.

/ 755 turn on headlights tractor dies
This time turning off the lights didn't help. A couple of weeks ago turning the lights on killed it but I switched it off fast, then restarted, so I knew something was about to happen. As far as things go, its been starting fine since early spring.

I tried jumping the 775's battery this morning, no idiot lights, no glow plugs, no turning over. There must be a short somewhere, or the battery is super dead, or like you said the ring connector is gone and hasn't been charging the battery. Rechecked all fuses and they were good.

I'll keep you posted. I guess letting sit outside since 1993 is finally taking taking a toll on the electrical systems.

I have a guy coming tommorow to take a look at it. I'll post the results here.

/ 755 turn on headlights tractor dies #5  
The alternator on my 855 gave up the ghost.
I got a $3 Harbor Freight Alt tester and confirmed my suspicions.
Had it rebuilt for $55 while I waited.

/ 755 turn on headlights tractor dies
Okay, my 755 was repaired this afternoon. Altenator and battery were good, in line fuses good, regular fuses good. He took off the panel on the ignition switch side, pulled the connector plugs for the ignition switch off. The main power in cable connector was corroded, so he snipped that off, put a new connector on and pushed it back into the plug and then reconnected all the plugs to the switch. Bingo. Good as new.

I had replaced the ignition switch last year and didn't see any corrosion then, but it was there now.

We were talking about Deere quality and service. I have to say its worth it. I said I have 535 hours and he said that was still new as far as he was concerned.

For record then, if this happens to you check the ignition switch and connectors as part of diagnosing the problem.

/ 755 turn on headlights tractor dies #7  
kude said:
We were talking about Deere quality and service. I have to say its worth it. I said I have 535 hours and he said that was still new as far as he was concerned.

Except for the part about it sitting outside for 15 years.