790 blows gears in front end

/ 790 blows gears in front end #11  
I'll disagree on the ballast and I'll tell you why. The gentleman has problems with his gears not the wheel bearings. While adding ballast to the rear definitely takes weight off the front axle all you are really doing is adding stress to the gears. Once the rear is ballasted then all you have is four tires that can't slip to release gear pressure when you turn corners etc. The best suggestion yet is to not use front wheel assist when you don't need it.

then i guess all this propaganda from deere in our sales information is all a bunch of malarchy
per the JD Ballast information:

Why is ballasting necessary?
Proper ballast maximizes a tractor's overall stability and productivity by keeping all four wheels on the ground. For instance, when doing loader work, rear ballast provides a counterweight for material in the loader bucket. This counterweight keeps the most powerful part of the tractor's drive system, the rear wheels, planted firmly on the ground.

In addition to improving the tractor's performance, proper rear ballast will also maximize the life of the front-wheel-drive axle as well as other drivetrain components. For tractors equipped with loaders, signs of improper rear ballast may include premature tread wear on the rear tires, leaking front axle or pinion seals, and premature failure of drive line and front axle components.

Similarly, when using heavy 3-point hitch implements, it is important to have adequate ballast on the front of the tractor to optimize steering and increase traction of the front axle (for tractors equipped with four-wheel drive).

/ 790 blows gears in front end #12  
I'll disagree on the ballast and I'll tell you why. The gentleman has problems with his gears not the wheel bearings. While adding ballast to the rear definitely takes weight off the front axle all you are really doing is adding stress to the gears. Once the rear is ballasted then all you have is four tires that can't slip to release gear pressure when you turn corners etc. The best suggestion yet is to not use front wheel assist when you don't need it.
So if the majority of the tractors weight, including what's in the bucket is on the front axle, and it's in MWFD then the small gears in the front diff won't see extra stress? Only the front wheel bearings will?

/ 790 blows gears in front end #13  
Oh boy I guess I've started up some controversy again. Dutch 445 first. If you read the article it doesn't talk about slippage at all it talks about using ballast for stability. And I agree that you need a certain amount of ballast for stability. Now think about it for a bit. If the tractor is so ballasted down that the tires can't slip to make up the difference in the distance traveled between the front and rear tires something has to give somewhere. I don't know off the top of my head what the lead is but every mechanical front wheel assist tractor has a certain amount of lead built into the drive train. The front wheels travel slightly faster than the rears for two reasons. One is that the tractor handles better that way and the other is so that the front wheels will pull the tractor around a corner when turning with FWA on. The front tires travel a longer distance when turning a corner.

At this point I read the John Deere article again and realized your point. I could very well be wrong on my theory. This has been my experience. I at one point in time had 1000 lbs of ballast hanging about a foot behind my 4410 three point hitch. I could stick the nose of the tractor down into a ditch and back out with a full bucket of mud but how often do I do that? With that much weight on the back I couldn't dig anything. A 1 inch stone was enough to lift the bucket while digging. That was a pain so I removed 400 lbs and have left it that way ever since.

kennyd I had to read your questions several times before I could see what your asking. You make a good point and I never thought of that when I wrote what I did. I'm coming to the conclusion that both of you were right in calling me on what I stated. After reading the John Deere article and thinking things through a bit I come to the conclusion that you need some ballast on the rear tires to let the strongest part of the drive train do the majority of the work.

I have issues with over ballasting though and I will let my statements stand in that kind of a situation. If I'm driving my ballasted tractor on a dry surface for any distance the fwa gets disconnected. It's the only way I know how to save my front end gears. One of my issues is that so many people don't seem to understand that in a fwa tractor the front tires are geared to travel a different speed than the rears.

Thanks for making me explain myself guys.

/ 790 blows gears in front end #14  
holy cow...4 times. I had the front gears in my 1990's era JD870 blow out after the tractor was about 12 years old. I found out later that this was a common issue with the series of tractors. But after 1400 hours and one failure i didnt think anything of it. It was a great tractor.

Now if that happened 4 times.... id be soooo pissed off.

now, i have a question to those that talk about rear ballast. Can adding too much rear ballast allow for the operator to put too much weight in front loader. and if so, could this help cause these issues??

/ 790 blows gears in front end #15  
I don't know. What's to much weight? I always figure if the loader can lift it then it's not too much weight. I could be wrong. I've been wrong before. :)

/ 790 blows gears in front end #16  
The PRV "should" kick in if to much is picked up in the loader, or tried to anyway, unless however it was adjusted above spec so the operator could pick up more than intended by the OEM.

I suspect the root cause here is twofold, operator error and lack of rear ballast.

/ 790 blows gears in front end #17  
Oh boy I guess I've started up some controversy again. ........

Thanks for making me explain myself guys.

Just friendly discussion that's all...it's all good stuff.

/ 790 blows gears in front end #18  
a lot depends on conditions. if this all happened in hard dry conditions where no slippage occurs, then i guess your theory of less
weight might be true, although in those conditions we wouldn't recommend using MFWD. and if in fact the OP was using
MFWD in conditions that didn't warrant it, then yes, i can understand excess forces being applied to the MFWD and
possible failures. and in that case, maybe more weight could be a problem.

lift capacity is designed into the tractor and these tractors weren't all that powerful in that respect, so i doubt there was
any over-loading of a bucket going on, but, more due to either lack of rear ballast, and/or using MFWD when it wasn't needed.

maybe this discussion will help somebody else so they don't experience a similar breakdown.

/ 790 blows gears in front end #19  
Just to add information to this thread...

First photo is of my 300 loader operator manual's minimum required ballast for the 790. Fluid-filled rear tires + 617 lbs 3pt ballast.

Next 2 are screen shots of an excel ballast calculator I downloaded form the JD website sometime ago. It's for the 3005 but it's the same as the 790. First with no ballast. Second with minimum required ballast.

Notice minimum rear ballast takes 414 lbs off the front axle and at the bottom look at the percentage of weight on the front and rear axles. Ballast makes a big difference.

View attachment 365229 View attachment 365228 View attachment 365227