/ 790 #1  

pruntyc

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4110 HST
Well I looked at the 4100, it didn't look the very best, for a tractor that was only 5 years old. I think it had a hard life. He finally admitted he has had it for a long time. So I'm looking at a 790 new. The only thing I'm trying to get $2500 trade in on my Yanmar YM1700. And JD dealers really don't want them. The one with the 4100 would give it to me on a trade for it. But when I asked him about new, he said he had a man that would give $1500, and he (the dealer) didn't want it, so that was all he would give me on new. Oh well, I'm not in a big hurry, something will probably work out.

/ 790 #3  
Try a classified on the TBN site.

I do understand the dealer's point of view. That Yanmar might be a great tractor, but it would be a hard sell at a dealer. Funny thing is, quite a few of the Deere's on the dealer's lot are built by the same company (Yanmar).

Good luck!

/ 790
But what don't make much sense to me, is that we all know there is a big markup on them. So rather than give me $1000 more on trade in, he is willing to let the 790 set there and make him nothing, than to back off a little. And I'm sure he would still make money. And I'm also sure he knows if I sell the Yanmar, I won't go back to him.. He knows where I live and there is a dealer 50 miles closer to me. I just asked beings I was there looking at his used 4100. And I may go back to Yanmar, as I can get a whole lot better deal from them, they want to do business with me.

/ 790 #5  
Please don't think your dealer isn't being too fair..

the markup or profit on the advantage tractors,,
like the 790 and 990, is quite less than what is on
the premium tractors,, like the 2520 and 3020 series..etc..

advertise your tractor and see what you can get for it!
if it runs good, you should make out very well..

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ 790 #6  
Take your time to sell the Yanmar, and you might get to see the new advantage series. The 3203 will be similar to the 790, but with hydrostatic drive and NO mid-mount option. It is expected to be priced close to the 2210/2305!

/ 790 #7  
I heard prices more close to the 790,,,
it'd be hard to believe a mid frame compact
hydro the same pricerange of the 2305..
/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ 790 #8  
Speaking from a dealer perspective I can't blame him for not wanting to trade. Not a JD dealer but can attest to the trade in portion. The 790 does not have lots of margin and he will probably (market has to do with it) sell the 790 faster than the old Yanmar.

Maybe not but that is the way I would be looking at it. Like others here have suggested a private sale would most likely render you more and probably pretty quickly.

Don't hold it against the dealer just yet. Just because he does not want your trade does not mean he is not excellent. He may give you excellent service and support if you buy from him.

Case in point is a gentleman had a TO35 he wanted to trade in. I would not do it and he was frustrated with me. I did not do it for one simple reason and that is it would sit on my lot for a year since 2WD just don't sell in our neck of the woods.

I was not being inflexible, I just don't want to have a tractor on the lot that won't sell. By the way, I had two of the models he was interested in. I sold both the next week and have 4 more coming in. It was simply a business decision based on what I could and could not do for this particular person. I want to please everyone and give excellent service all the time but in this case I could not accomodate this person for a very sound reason.

Best of luck.

Maka

/ 790
But I do have an option, I don't have to have a JD. The 790, is mostly Yanmar, and I can buy another Yanmar, and I probably will, as I am old don't really have to have any tractor. So another little newer with a powershift tranny, will do me fine. It would cost me $10,000 if he would take my trade for $2500, for the 790. I can trade my Yanmar in, and get the $2500 for a Yanmar and only cost me around $2,000 difference. Be older but not used too hard and have just one hp less than the 790, and not be 4 wd drive, which I don't have to have, the one I have now isn't. If I were to want it, it would only be $3000 difference. So it seems like JD drives some of us to Yanmars and other gray market tractors. And if I want them, for around $600 to $700, I can put ROPS on the Yanmar, also. So when I'm not making a living, with a tractor, as I'm 72 years old, I can get along without JD.

/ 790 #10  
It sounds to me like you really want a Yanmar. Thats OK, it just sounds that you know what you want and need and the 790 is not it. If this is the case then you are good to go.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Maka