8’ dual spindle chopper - should I get a 3pt or pull type?

/ 8’ dual spindle chopper - should I get a 3pt or pull type? #1  

NonTypicalCPA

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3940
Any suggestions on the two types? I’ll be mowing with a 60hp Kubota if that matters. Also, the property I’ll be mowing has some small rolling hills.

/ 8’ dual spindle chopper - should I get a 3pt or pull type? #2  
I prefer a pull - keeps tail from wagging the dog

/ 8’ dual spindle chopper - should I get a 3pt or pull type? #3  
I have a Rhino TW 96. I pull it with the new Holland TL 80 A cab. The mower is a two-point hook up and has a hydraulic offset about 18 inches to the right. Without the offset ability, it would be pretty difficult to trim with this mower. And I truly can’t imagine trying to back up this mower as a pull behind with my tractor.

/ 8’ dual spindle chopper - should I get a 3pt or pull type? #4  
How much backing and trimming around objects will you be doing? If lots of backing and trimming a semi mounted or fully mounted on 3 point would be shorter so potentially easier to maneuver. No clue if 8 ft would make front of your tractor light though.

/ 8’ dual spindle chopper - should I get a 3pt or pull type? #5  
I have both a Landpride bat wing chopper and a Landpride flat back shredder and I use both of them The bat wing is a drawbar pull type with a 12 foot maximum cut and the flat back is a 3 point with a 72" cut and it's heavy so I run it with the front end loader on the tractor but I will say it eats everything I run it over, including small trees.

if you cutting flat fields, either will work actually. The only drawback with the flat back is the mower swing, I have to always bee cognizant where the back end of the mower is at, especially the tail wheel. Not so much with the bat wing and I use the bat wing for ditch bank mowing as well.

I have 90 pto on both my M's and neither mower really puts a strain on either. One nice thing that sets the Landpride's apart from other mowers is, they have really heavy duty oil bath gearboxes and built in over running clutches, lots of grease fittings and Landpride installs hardened wear shoes on the leading edges of both mowers that are easily hardfaced or replaced. Without wear shoes, you will eat up the side sheets if you are mowing in sandy soil.
They might cost a bit more but they are worth a bit more and your local, friendly Kubota dealer is still offering 0 percent financing.

Same deal with a box blade or a land plane actually.

/ 8’ dual spindle chopper - should I get a 3pt or pull type? #6  
Any suggestions on the two types? I’ll be mowing with a 60hp Kubota if that matters. Also, the property I’ll be mowing has some small rolling hills.
I like the pull type because it won’t make your front end lighter, but if you have a lot of tight spaces, a mounted mower is more compact.
After 35 years of this work, I only use 15’ or 20’ pull type folding mowers. They are also a little quicker to disconnect, IMO.
The last mounted mower I had was a John Deere MX-8 with side to side swing feature, so it had to be mounted. Great little mower. Find one with the gearboxes made in Spain & side shift feature and it’ll be one of your favorite attachments you ever owned.

1703941731122.jpeg

1703941661122.jpeg

/ 8’ dual spindle chopper - should I get a 3pt or pull type?
Thanks guys. I currently have a nice 6’ 3pt chopper. I’m mowing some bigger fields for a client who lets me hunt the property. A 10’ or 12’ batwing would be ideal, but the cost is prohibitive considering it’s a once a year mowing job. A pull type 8’ dual spindle would give me a little more coverage. Plus there’s more of them out there so maybe I could find a nice used unit.

/ 8’ dual spindle chopper - should I get a 3pt or pull type? #8  
Always buy new because a used unit will be flogged and the blades dulled why it's for sale. If anyone flogs it, it will be me. Far as the thick brush and small trees, start with the shredder slightly raised and then lower it.

/ 8’ dual spindle chopper - should I get a 3pt or pull type? #9  

I would recommend a semi-mount cutter unless you either have only fairly wide open areas and find a pull-type unit for cheaper, or your 60 HP Kubota is a full-sized utility unit with maximum front ballast in which case I would use a fully mounted cutter. To be honest, if you have a 6' cutter already, get a 10' twin spindle instead of an 8' unit as they are not much more expensive but cut a wider swath. There isn't a big difference in cutting time between a 6' and 8' cutter unless you are cutting a very large area, in which case you'd really rather have a 10'er anyway.

/ 8’ dual spindle chopper - should I get a 3pt or pull type? #10  
I'd go with what HayDude says.

Pretty much mirrors my opinion.

Rough terrain can make the 3 point style a real PITA as well, and the more things get jostled around in rough terrain, the more likely something will break or go wrong too.