8 HP Briggs & Stratton thrown con-rod

/ 8 HP Briggs & Stratton thrown con-rod
That's bull****. The old B & S engines run as good as any. I know, because I'm running some today that are over 30 years old. Today's B&S I don't know that much about except that they make a top line and a cheaper line. If I live to be 110 years old, I'l let you know how the cheaper line runs.:laughing:
And the cheaper line is what gets installed on the bargain priced implements.:( OK guys, lets not be throwing stuff at each other!:laughing::laughing: Lets just say that if you let the oil levels drop to a level where the splash lubing stops functioning, which looks like happened here, the engine will fail. I'm guessing the low oil shutdown is a recent innovation and is probably found on the higher end models.

Right now, I'm on the prowl for a parts engine, or a used but serviceable 9 or 10 horse. If it comes off a tired old snow thrower, it might even come with an electic starter.:licking::thumbsup: I have roughly three and a half months before I can use this machine to massage Mother Earths back.:D

/ 8 HP Briggs & Stratton thrown con-rod #12  
Pity you aint a bit closer, I've got a good one under the bench gathering dust, you could have it for a tenner (15 dollars):)

Pity you aint a bit closer, I've got a good one under the bench gathering dust, you could have it for a tenner (15 dollars):)

Oh grrr...:laughing:

/ 8 HP Briggs & Stratton thrown con-rod #14  
And the cheaper line is what gets installed on the bargain priced implements.:( OK guys, lets not be throwing stuff at each other!:laughing::laughing: Lets just say that if you let the oil levels drop to a level where the splash lubing stops functioning, which looks like happened here, the engine will fail. I'm guessing the low oil shutdown is a recent innovation and is probably found on the higher end models.

Right now, I'm on the prowl for a parts engine, or a used but serviceable 9 or 10 horse. If it comes off a tired old snow thrower, it might even come with an electic starter.:licking::thumbsup: I have roughly three and a half months before I can use this machine to massage Mother Earths back.:D

FYI Most snow blowers don't have air filters.

FYI Most snow blowers don't have air filters.

That's OK. The busted ones got anything external that a transplanter might lack.:licking::laughing::p

/ 8 HP Briggs & Stratton thrown con-rod #17  
I would never own anything but a Honda with Kawasaki coming in a close. I've had 2 Briggs take a dump on me. The Kolar engine on my tiller was put into service in 1973 and starts on the 3 pull and runs great.

/ 8 HP Briggs & Stratton thrown con-rod #18  
I had an old Troybuilt that broke a rod. I replaced the rod, polished the crank and used for another 5 years at which point it went to SIL. I think they used it for another 2-3 yr then replaced the engine. If nothing else appears to be in questionable condition consider just replacing the rod if cost is a big consideration.

I had an old Troybuilt that broke a rod. I replaced the rod, polished the crank and used for another 5 years at which point it went to SIL. I think they used it for another 2-3 yr then replaced the engine. If nothing else appears to be in questionable condition consider just replacing the rod if cost is a big consideration.

Cost is a BIG consideration - gummint payroll (pension).:cool: Another important issue is the heavy load this engine is called upon to carry. I mentioned in an earlier post the soil type here. I'm already breaking the 3PTH mounted roto on an Oliver 550 in our hard dirt!:( The chain drive is the weakness there. Any engine I use on this roto will have to run at full throttle and the stress on everything will be significant. That is why a low oil sensor would be an asset and a carefully done overhaul vitally important if that is the route taken. Repowering with a 9 or 10 HP is still my prefered option.

/ 8 HP Briggs & Stratton thrown con-rod #20  
Briggs has at least two different lines of engines. here they were painted red for commercial and industrial, most stuff HD and steel cylinder..and bearings.The black OEM motor has aluminum cylinders and sleeves instead of all bearings...Cost just a little more for C&I. They engineeered some more time into the better engines?