83 Ford 1900

/ 83 Ford 1900 #1  

blucoondawg

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti DK50SE w/ loader and Woods 90x backhoe, Allis Chalmers C with front snowplow
My buddy has been looking for tractors, he's too cheap to buy new or even newer even though he easily could afford it. He's looking at a 83 1900 diesel 4x4. From picture it looks in good shape, aftermarket loader looks like a bush hog and comes with some sort of back blade not sure of the make.

Tractor has 2049 hours on the meter, how are these little diesels for dependability, is that getting to be a lot of hours for them? I'm sure parts availability might be getting slim and expensive.
Also the guy wants $8950, seems could get a much newer 4x4 with loader for not much more money?

Last edited:
   / 83 Ford 1900
Here's a photo from the net, not really good pictures they're all farther away like this but it doesn't look bad in the photo Screenshot_20200725-143509_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg

/ 83 Ford 1900 #3  
My buddy has been looking for tractors, he's too cheap to buy new or even newer even though he easily could afford it. He's looking at a 83 1900 diesel 4x4. From picture it looks in good shape, aftermarket loader looks like a bush hog and comes with some sort of back blade not sure of the make.

Tractor has 2049 hours on the meter, how are these little diesels for dependability, is that getting to be a lot of hours for them? I'm sure parts availability might be getting slim and expensive.
Also the guy wants $8950, seems could get a much newer 4x4 with loader for not much more money?

I would suggest that your buddy take YOUR advice!
I have a 1989 Ford 1920 with 1100 hours, and parts for it are somewhat iffy.
The 1900 Fords, are rapidly becoming VERY problematic for parts.
The 1920 is highly preferred over the 1900.
The 1900's may seem cheap, but they are NOT a good buy!

He needs to add some cash to his budget, and buy a newer tractor..... unless he is a glutton for punishment.

/ 83 Ford 1900 #4  
The seller is asking more than the tractor originally sold for, although he has added a loader. The hours do not seem unreasonable given the age but parts availability can be a real concern for older tractors. I sold my Mitsubishi D2350 with loader for $4000. It was a good tractor running well at 2300 hours but I was concerned about finding parts the next time something broke. I have enough projects. I don't NEED the added project of finding tractor parts.

/ 83 Ford 1900 #5  
I would suggest that your buddy take YOUR advice!
I have a 1989 Ford 1920 with 1100 hours, and parts for it are somewhat iffy.
The 1900 Fords, are rapidly becoming VERY problematic for parts.
The 1920 is highly preferred over the 1900.
The 1900's may seem cheap, but they are NOT a good buy!

He needs to add some cash to his budget, and buy a newer tractor..... unless he is a glutton for punishment.

Good advice, he can buy a much newer tractor for not too much more money.