8540 brake maintenance

/ 8540 brake maintenance #1  

big bubba

Elite Member
Tractor
M8540
8540 6yrs, 450 hrs....no brake issues...looking @ manual scheduled maintenance they call for 1) clean master cyl filter 2 yrs 2) replace master cyl 2 yrs 3)replace equalizer kit 2 yrs 4)replace brake seal 2 yrs 5)bleed brake system as needed. never did any of this, would require a shop manual to do it myself (no prob if needed) anyone have reason to do this? thinking K does this for their own liability reasons....asked dealer service, never had an issue. maybe only potential issue would be lots of contaminants if you're changing implement hoses a lot, or torn shifter boot on open station allowing moisture into hyd. but shouldn't the filters take care of this? the brake system uses fluid from general hyd system. if a person replaces hyd/filter as recommended, think i will leave alone. your take? for those who follow manual religiously, this brake maintenance is clearly stated. thx in advance

/ 8540 brake maintenance #2  
If you have a hydraulic brake system... it is using regular brake fluid, Not hydraulic/transmission oil.
Brake fluid will take on water, that will corrode the wheel and mastercylinder cylinders & pistons... You should flush the system every other year, if the master cylinder is not leaking no need to replace, just flush with New clean fluid...

/ 8540 brake maintenance
thx. are you sure that the hyd brakes on this model is closed and using brake fluid? not talking about general brake systems like on vehicles. there is no apparent brake fluid reservoir to top off...my take, and i may be wrong, is that it uses hyd fluid, and there is no mention in the manual of brake fluid whatsoever. again, for liability reasons, kubota would have stated so. thanks, & i may stand corrected.....

/ 8540 brake maintenance #4  
Don't know but if it is using a "master cylinder" system.... ???
There 'could' be a power brake system using pressure from the hydraulic system, like the hydraulic booster systems on diesel truck...
My only exposure to 'tractor' brakes have been wet brake systems that are cooled in hydraulic fluid. But with a master cylinder system as you said, that suggests that there are wheel cylinders... hmmm... That's almost interesting enough to look up, I'll let you know if I find something definite...

/ 8540 brake maintenance
hey thanks kenny...yes there's a master cly & equalizer valve. plus a filter...i surely won't tear into it, but i've never seen it addressed other than what the manual states. would like to see a shop manual on it. thx again

/ 8540 brake maintenance #7  
M8540 according to Kubota parts has hyd oil supplied to brake master cyl. via hyd line from steering valve IE not brake fluid.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 577
   / 8540 brake maintenance
M8540 according to Kubota parts has hyd oil supplied to brake master cyl. via hyd line from steering valve IE not brake fluid.

hey most appreciated, kinda figured it was hyd fluid supplied. i'm just wondering if the scheduled maintenance of the valves/filter/bleed are really necessary or just a liability precaution to cover kubota corporate (hey, gotta pay them lawyers) anyway it's interesting even from the dealership how little is known about it. leave well enough alone i guess. one thing i love about the system is the transmission lock e brake rather than the ratchet style on lesser models...far more positive, esp when working alone as in my case. thanks to both who responded