873 stopped, fuel injector pump?

/ 873 stopped, fuel injector pump? #1  

bcantell

Tractor
Bobcat 873, Mini Volvo EC25, SkyTrac 7038
My 873 was sitting idling, start sputtering, then stopped. Wouldn't restart.:thumbdown:

Fuel gauge says 1/3 full.

I drained the water separator, but only a little water came out, then fuel.

I removed the separator and drained it completely, reinstalled it and bled the system, I believe enough.

Pumped the bulb till fuel came out, reinstalled the top screw pug, but she still won't start.

How do I test to see if the injector pump is toast?

Anyone got experience on replacing/fixing the pump they can relate to me?

Thanks for any advice.

Bill

/ 873 stopped, fuel injector pump? #2  
I just had the same thing happened to me 2 times. I took the lines off from the pump to the injectors and found water at the injectors. Blew water out of injectors top and put lines back on and didn't tighten injector nuts until I fuel at each one. Been good to go now for 5 days. Could not test the injector pressure I don't have the gauge for that.

/ 873 stopped, fuel injector pump?
Hey LeeJohn, thanks for the info. I'll try that.

Bill

/ 873 stopped, fuel injector pump? #4  
The 873 has a Duetz engine, each cylinder has individual injection pump. Not likely all 4 injection pumps fail at same time.
Try bleeding the lines at injectors as LeeJohn mentioned.
When bleeding the filter after closing the vent at the top squeeze the primer bulb a few more times, it should get firm as pressure builds.
There is a mechanical fuel supply/lift pump. latest versions of this pump have a debris screen in the pump, it is under the end cap with screw holding the cap in place. Remove the cap to clean the screen.

Hey SSdoxie, Thanks for the info.

I pulled the cap and cleaned the screen, but there wasn't enough debris to stop fuel flow.

I loosened the bolts at each injection pump, bleed the system as completely as I could.

Started up and ran for about 1 min, then stalled.

I pulled the lift pump and disassembled it but can't see any obvious issues.

I'm guessing the lift pump is toast.

Thanks again for your help.

/ 873 stopped, fuel injector pump? #6  
Bleed lines at injectors not at pump after you make sure top of injectors are clear of water.

Finally had the time to check out the 873.

Lift pump working, bled the lines to the injectors, start it up and she runs for a minute or so and stalls.

Fuel line air bound again.

Bled to injectors again, same thing.

I suspect my fuel line must be compromised somewhere between the tank and the bleed bulb.

No leaks observed any where in or around the engine area.

Any thoughts?

Next step is I'm going to hook the lift pump up to a 5 gal tank and see if she runs off that.

/ 873 stopped, fuel injector pump? #8  
There may or may not be a screen on end of the pickup tube in tank. Take hose off primer bulb at bulb inlet and blow air back into tank to see if it dislodges any debris plugging the pickup tube.

Another fairly common problem of no or low fuel supply is worn isolators of the engine mounts. Fuel line runs from tank under engine oil pan up to primer bulb. When engine mounts wear out the fuel line can become pinched between the tank and oil pan.

Dennis; Thanks for sticking with me here.

I'll try the air blow and check the motor mounts, see if their worn.

I did some searching around the Internet and found some stuff to check out.

Saw some YouTubes of "hose pickup in the tank" replacement. I also saw one of a owner that just drilled and added a new one, capping the old one.

Bobcat sure didn't make it an easy replacement.

I'm going to look closer at the tank inlet, and check if the hose going from the tank to the bulb is moveable (not pinched)

I replaced a hydraulic hose near all that, this winter. I doubt it, but maybe I messed with the hose somehow.

Just before this happened, I had her sitting at at good angle and when I backed up, I hit a stump and she stopped abruptly. Wondering if that moved the in tank pick up end out of the fuel? I'm going to fill the tank and see if that makes the difference.

Thanks for your advice, it's definitely helped me.

Bill

Can anyone tell me if the 873 has a flexible pick up, or the solid tube type?