8N 12V Conversion - Points issue

/ 8N 12V Conversion - Points issue #1  

fibrostic

So I finished my 12v conversion. Getting a great crank when i start, good voltage on the new alternator, and the battery seems to be charging nicely off of it. Worked great for about 20 minutes, then the tractor died (of course in the middle of a field where i was taking it on a victory lap). I wasnt getting a spark at the points, checked and rechecked the gap, and will get an occasional orange spark. Not the bright blue it used to be. when you hit both sides with a screwdriver lots of sparks. So.... from reading on here, i may have a bad coil, probably burnt the points, and while i am in there why not replace the condensor.
Couple of questions. With replacing the below parts (coil specifically), can i take the resistor out of the line? It is flimsy and already chipping and just feels cheap. if not, is there a better one i can put in line?

part list of what i think i need. (NAPA)
Coil - MPE IC14SB
Condensor - ECH FA66
Points - CS753

/ 8N 12V Conversion - Points issue #2  
Can I assume that this is a side mount distribuitor, round coil, and 5 nipple distribuitor cap ( not a front mount, sqaure coil, and 4 nipple cap? )

if it is the side mount, here are some part numbers from napa that will fit at the bottom of the post.

but yeah, the coil IC14sb is correct for 12v and NO resistor.. points and condensor are correct as well.

if you are currently running an ic14sb with a resistor.. that is the source of your problem.

gap on points and plugs are .025

if you have the ic14sb and are using a resistor, try jumping from bat hot to the coil and see if she magically has good spark and starts.. if so.. you know what you need to do :)

post back if you have a front mount.. / have more questions

soundguy

Side-Mount Distributor: 8n thru 4 cyl thousand series
NAPA HEAVY DUTY PIERCED (ventilated) #CS753
Standard Ignition #FD-8081
Standard Ignition Blue Streak #FD-8081X (Premium)
Condensor:
NAPA #FA66
Standard Ignition #FD-75
Standard Ignition Blue Streak #FD75X (Premium)
Rotor:
NAPA #FA67
Standard Ignition #FD-108
Distributor Cap:
NAPA #FA352
Standard Ignition #FD-128

/ 8N 12V Conversion - Points issue
Correct assumption, I have a side mount. I will install the new coil, points, and condensor this evening. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

/ 8N 12V Conversion - Points issue #4  
if the old coil is a ic14sb.. no need for a coil.. the resistor is killing the spark.

be sure to jumper test the ignition switch.. new switch can be junk and block current flow..

soundguy

/ 8N 12V Conversion - Points issue #5  
I always thought that the ceramic ballast resistor was there to prolong the coil and point life, but bypassed while starting????

/ 8N 12V Conversion - Points issue #6  
the front mount N sent power thru a ballast resistor that had a thermal coeficient.. when cold, ( at startup ), resistance was low, after starting, the resistor warmed up quickly, and it's resistance went up, thus reducing current.

NO BYPASSING.. .. not on that system anyway.

by the time the 65+ blue gassers came out, i believe there was resistor wire in the ignition ckt, and during starting it was bypassed for 12v to the still 6v coil.. but not back on the N series.

soundguy

So ........ tractor ran great for two days, yesterday the battery was dead, I figured it is draining some place but I charged it back up and put off finding the short till this weekend. This morning battery dead again and now it faulta the.charger and when I try to jump it off the truck the starter engages without the ignition button pressed or key on. Help?

/ 8N 12V Conversion - Points issue #8  
charging it up without finding the short was a bad move.

retrace ALL the wires.

post back

soundguy

All connections look good, nothing is loose. What is the beat way to check for a short with a volt meter?

/ 8N 12V Conversion - Points issue #10  
forget the volt meter, disconnect the battery and use the ohm or continuity function.

soundguy