9N ford hydraulic help?

/ 9N ford hydraulic help? #1  

fordy

I recently purchased a 9N. It has a front loader and a 5' bushhog attached. I thought I knew how to operate it, but I don't. When I go to use the bushhog, it seems that I can't control or set the height.Also when I go to use the loader, the loader and the mower both go up and down at the same time.I can shut off the gate valve to the loader and use the mower but the mower keeps drifting down.I disconnected the mower, opened the gate valve,but the loader won't do anything. Could anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong. Thank you.

/ 9N ford hydraulic help? #2  
What you have is a worn cylinder on the three point. When you step on the clutch the pump stops to which shuts of the flow so the leak takes over.

/ 9N ford hydraulic help?
How do I just use the loader on my 9N tractor? Is it independent from the mower, and if so, how do I turn off the hydraulics to just the mower?

/ 9N ford hydraulic help? #4  
As the other poster mentioned.. the reason the mower leaks down over time is likely a worn lift cyl / piston rings. Usually a 20$ NAA piston and 3$ worth of rubber oring and leather backup washer, plus about 5$ for top cover gasket, side cover gasket, and pto flange gasket plus some 4 hrs of sweat equity will correct it.

Now.. the reason you can't control the position ont he 3pt very well is that the 9n only has draft control, not position control.

You can either buy a 90$ bolt on position control linkage jig to make it have position control similar to an 8N.. or you can build/buy a set of limit chains like most 9n owners do. It a bracket that pins tot he toplink rocker and then has chain slots in it. You then have 2 sections of chain with an eyelet weled to one end. That eyelet fits over the implement pin and then the lift arm goes on.. do this on each side.. then lif tthe implement just slightly higher than you want it to set.. then slip the chains into the slots ont he bracket.. then relaxe the lift... Your implement then will stay at that height.. if you need to lift it to clear an obstacle.. go ahead... when you set it back down, the implement will bottom out on the chains and not go lower.

As for the loader.. Sounds like you have a trip bucket loader, and the hyds for the lift cyl are plumbed off the left side corner test port on the pump base plate.. kinda behind your right heel.

When you lift the 3pt handle, oil is normally sent to the lift cyl.. which lifts and when it reaches max height, internal linkage shuts the control valve off. However in this setup, you chain the upper lift arms down to the axle trumpets so that they cannot lift to full height.. then when you pull the 3pt handle up, the lift arms lift till they are stopped by the chain.. then oil is forced out the corner test port to power the lift cyl on the loader. This works like a SA hyds... when you lower the 3pt handle, oil is exhausted back into the sump. This is a pretty slick setup, because it still employes the OEM relief valve in the system.

The reason your mower and loader go up is because you havn't chained the 3pt upper lift arms down to prevent them from lifting up to max travel ( which shuts the oil off to the pump control valve ).

The gate valve in line to the laoder prevents heavy 3pt loads from making the laoder bucket come up.

Soundguy

Thank you very much Soundguy. This is exactly the information I was looking for. I beleive I have the set of limit chains, also I will try the other chain set up. And yes I'm pretty sure I have a trip bucket loader. I will try that before I take anything apart. Thank's again.

/ 9N ford hydraulic help? #6  
Soundguy, reach around and pat yourself on the back. I just knew you would know every detail of the info Fordy needed. You not only knew it, but you explained it in a manner even this "ol goat" can understand. Good job!:)

/ 9N ford hydraulic help? #7  
I only wish I were more up to date on the technical specs of 'new' tractors... Ask me how to rebuild parts on an old ford and i can play in the 'deep water'. Ask me something about one built in t he last 20 ys, and unless I've owned one or specifically had to work on one.. i don't know more than the basics on them...

Soundguy

Soundguy, If I attach the limit chains to the top link and to my mower,what's stopping them from both moving together? The mower will still bottom out. What am I missing?

/ 9N ford hydraulic help? #9  
Uh.. physics... Chains don't stretch.. unless you are using rubber ones.. if you use metal ones.. uh.. it should hold fine.. just get some grade 43 ( or 70 ) chain.. heck.. even 'proof-coil' will hold a mowers weight.

Your chain hitch bracket is firmly pinned to the tractors toplink ROCKER... it don't move.. if it goes up and down with your lift arms you must have a huge chunk of cast iron broke out around it on the back of your lift cover...

soundguy

/ 9N ford hydraulic help? #10  
Her's a pic of the back of my 8n.

Ignore the drag hitch i have on it, and look where the toplink pins tot he rocker... that is where your chain bracket will also pin... ( it don't move with the lift arms.. )

soundguy

Attachments

• 100_0443 (Large).jpg
    100_0443 (Large).jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 3,471