A cautionary tale about fiber board bench tops.

/ A cautionary tale about fiber board bench tops. #1  

JasperFrank

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 1220
I built two very nice benches, In my de-attached garage, 10 years ago, that I've worked many projects on. The thing is, I used fiberboard, for their top working spaces. I was very proud of how I made these, very low cost and very little waste in their construction. These overtime, got a good amount of petroleum products soaked in to them: Spilled gas, oil, WD40, ETC. I was grinding on top of one bench using a transportable vice to hold the work. Got the work done, and thought nothing of caring about a fire start. Went back in to the house and had dinner and watched a movie. I smoke cigs, so after the movie, I go to the garage for my cig. The Garage is filled with smoke. Under the vice I find a smouldering fire in the fiberboard. I got water on it, but this area was hot. It was finding a way to burn sideways in the fiberboard. I wondered if I could even put this out, or do I need to remove the entire bench and put it outside. I chiseled around the areas I though was smoldering and added water. This did put it out after an hour or so of watching it. I will readily admit that this whole event was due to me being an idiot: Just don't want this happening to any one else. :)

the burn.jpg

/ A cautionary tale about fiber board bench tops. #2  
Do you also have a gas can right there?

/ A cautionary tale about fiber board bench tops.
Yes. it wasn't there at the time, is was underneth the bench and off to the side away from grinding. . .

Last edited:
   / A cautionary tale about fiber board bench tops. #4  
My large bench was covered in fiberboard when I got it, but I bought a couple of 30" X 72" pieces of 12 ga. steel sheet, covered the fiberboard and screwed it down. I knew I would be doing welding, cutting and grinding on it so it had to be covered up.

/ A cautionary tale about fiber board bench tops. #5  
A nice steel table is a must for grinding/welding work..
If you have a welder some 3/16 plate 3-4" pipe and some angle or channel for bracing you'll have a nice one fairly quick..

IMG_20221108_065140300.jpg
IMG_20180103_161640998~2.jpg

Excuse the mess on top.. got a project going on.. I swear I just cleaned it off..

Last edited:
   / A cautionary tale about fiber board bench tops. #6  
That is scary! Smoking did something good for you for once. Glad it worked out ok!

/ A cautionary tale about fiber board bench tops. #7  
There are times aluminum and steel grinding dust get mixed together. Burnt up a belt grinder that way.

/ A cautionary tale about fiber board bench tops. #8  
I built two very nice benches, In my de-attached garage, 10 years ago, that I've worked many projects on. The thing is, I used fiberboard, for their top working spaces. I was very proud of how I made these, very low cost and very little waste in their construction. These overtime, got a good amount of petroleum products soaked in to them: Spilled gas, oil, WD40, ETC. I was grinding on top of one bench using a transportable vice to hold the work. Got the work done, and thought nothing of caring about a fire start. Went back in to the house and had dinner and watched a movie. I smoke cigs, so after the movie, I go to the garage for my cig. The Garage is filled with smoke. Under the vice I find a smouldering fire in the fiberboard. I got water on it, but this area was hot. It was finding a way to burn sideways in the fiberboard. I wondered if I could even put this out, or do I need to remove the entire bench and put it outside. I chiseled around the areas I though was smoldering and added water. This did put it out after an hour or so of watching it. I will readily admit that this whole event was due to me being an idiot: Just don't want this happening to any one else. :)

View attachment 769524
I've darkened my plywood bench tops a few times, but always knew about it and dealt with it (handy water bottle) before I left the shop. I'd like a steel top, but dang that'd be pricey now.

/ A cautionary tale about fiber board bench tops. #9  
cheaper than a shop fire I guarentee it. Nice catch glad nobody got hurt and if posting about it here helps one person not have to go through a fire...

I used the side of an old fridge to cover my workbench, not pretty but it does the job.

/ A cautionary tale about fiber board bench tops. #10  
Thanks for relaying your story. Might save someone.

Bought a used steel roll around industrial cabinet that had a fiber top. Eventually added a 1/2x 30x60” plate and additional supports for a welding bench.
IMG_0795.JPG

20 - 5/8” threaded holes for clamps or tooling plugged with set screws.