A day in the life of a Kubota BX25D

/ A day in the life of a Kubota BX25D
That is a fantastic garden spot you have there. Nice catch on the wife too....you should make her "pay" to get out of the fence ;)

Anyway I moved the RR ties around tonight and try as I might I could not get 4 in the grapple again....best I could manage is 3. I am guessing they must have aligned themselves up just right. In looking at the photos getting 4 in there would be hard to do...it is a tight fit....but anyway here is a photo of three in the grapple....sorry guys.

0513141554_zpscb51f9bb.jpg
0513141548_zps7087b541.jpg

/ A day in the life of a Kubota BX25D #102  
That is a fantastic garden spot you have there. Nice catch on the wife too....you should make her "pay" to get out of the fence ;)

Anyway I moved the RR ties around tonight and try as I might I could not get 4 in the grapple again....best I could manage is 3. I am guessing they must have aligned themselves up just right. In looking at the photos getting 4 in there would be hard to do...it is a tight fit....but anyway here is a photo of three in the grapple....sorry guys.

View attachment 375123
View attachment 375124
Thank you on both accounts.

Love that grapple... jealous I am. I can see that very job in the future. I have a bunch of terraced garden built with RR ties and they are rotting out bad. Not looking forward to trying to rebuild with block $$$ but some are now caving in.

These at one time formed a shooting backstop...some are in good shape others not so much. Going to re-design that area so there is less-no chance of a round leaving the back stop. Pretty safety aware when playing with guns.

Another update....currently at 59.something, I really need to part with it to get its first service done. But again more of the same, digging, pulling, mowing. I have actually mowed with the machine twice now for about 4 hours total time mowing. This weekend I did our backyard. I did half of it with the JD650 then had to take a break as it was beating me to death, Then came back out and finished with the BX, and a sore thumb (more on that later) I really think the longer JD650 is better on the bumps, but turning it is a real bear, The Kubota seems to cut much nicer, and I think I could go faster and get a good cut, but it is just to bumpy for me. My wife seems to be able to go faster then me when I mow, so I really think these problems are due to my bad back. The power steering is really a god send however, The little BX will turn on a dime and leave 9 cents change, and is so quiet. I can hear my cell phone ring on the BX. I wear ears on the JD.

I dug up a HUGE old wild rose bush and pulled it out of the tree it was growing up. Really made quick work of it, but had to use 4wd to get enough traction to pull the rose out of the tree. I would bet that rose bush went up the tree 20+ feet. It was kind of a shame nice bush but it was just in the wrong spot.

Then we (me and the tractor) went to the neighbors and moved some brush around. He has a huge mahendra but does not have a grapple. I let him drive and do everything, and he really liked the little machine, Says he wants to borrow it when he puts in some other things and takes down some more tree branches. Made an hours + worth of work into about 10 minutes.

Going to try to call Kubota dealer and see when they can come pickup the machine. I hope they can get it back to me before the long weekend....if not I will drag my feet till week after.

In putting on the deck working with getting the drive shaft on the tractor bit me. The yoke from the connect to the mid PTO flopped down (don't really know how) and smashed the crap out of my thumb. Pretty puffy, but I think the nail will be ok and I will not lose it.

Also cleaned under the deck again. Found a couple of scrapes under the deck that I touched up with some orange paint I got from Kubota. I likely scuffed it when I hit the man hole that hides my wireless water meter thingy. Put a little dent in one of the blades but not too bad.

Also made another stupid noob mistake.....forgot about that roll bar and drove it into the garage door. Knocked the door off the track, and bent some of the wheels for the door as well as tore the crap out of the facia across the top of the door. No real bad damage but I sure felt stupid. I already repaired the door so it works again, I just need to get the new siding so I can repair the facia.

Remember that silly roll bar.....that thing is so close to coming off the tractor. Totally my fault, but it snags on trees like crazy and it is really getting old. I want to keep my lights. I might just cut it down a little as well.

The safety stuff on new machines really tick me off....I have to stand up so I can see the front loader quick attach thingy....then I have to inch forward to hook up the grapple or the bucket, step on the peddle to go forward a little too much and the machine wants to die. I can just get it to crawl. I just can't really see over the hood to get that little hook on the bucket or grapple, you always have to go a little left, right, curl up or down to get it around the pin. It is super easy to do but would be that one extra easy if you could get a little more leeway before the tractor wanted to cut off. Just a little nit pick.

I told everyone I would post everything even my own stupid things....like hitting the garage. I am going to start working on my shooting area and that is going to be moving LOTS of dirt. I am also going to dig a burn pit, as well as doing some work around my pond.

/ A day in the life of a Kubota BX25D #105  
Mistakes happen for sure , the main concern is to have a smile on your face , have fun and stay safe .

I forgot to add in here I am working on getting my old Ford lawn mower working again. I used the little Kubota to drag it out of the barn and I started to mess with it.

I now have it running smooth as glass, It will start right up no problem...pretty happy I have it running again. All I need to do is now find an idle pulley for the 42" deck and we will be a mowing again.

I took the deck off and used it to pull my small watering cart around and water some of the fruit trees. Little old machine still has lots of life left in her. I need to also pick up a new head light, and a couple of switches, as well as the PTO on light.

Such a cool little machine, but here it is with the Kubota bringing it over to my shop.

Man I am having such fun with the little Kubota....it makes all these little jobs I kept putting off so much more easy. All I needed to do was rebuild the carb and flush out the fuel lines and tank...but dragging it over to my shop I just could not do. Man I love this little machine

0516141601_zpsf9935513.jpg

/ A day in the life of a Kubota BX25D #107  
Nice pic. I'm not familiar with the old ford mowers. What year is it? Did Ford make them, or somebody else make them for Ford? And to paraphrase that old saying, "A Front End Loader is Worth a Thousand Uses".

Not sure on the year, I think it is mid 80's. Jacobsen made some of the mowers I am not sure who made some of the larger machines. They have a few different models YT (yard tractor) LGT (little garden tractors) not sure on others. They even had diesel models way back then.

If you are interested in cool old lawnmowers and don't want to pay vintage JD prices look at the old Fords....you can find MOST of the parts for them, and there is a pretty active community that supports them in Yahoo Groups. I would love to find one of the Diesel mowers they are actually pretty large machines for mowers of that era.

Back to the BX, I just ordered the PTB from BXpanded....wow what service, I ordered it at 7am this morning and I already have a tracking number. It would be so great if it gets here before the weekend but I doubt I would be that lucky....but I can hope.

Pretty interested in giving this new bar a try, I was not real keen on poking holes in my new bucket...but it is a tractor and I am not going to really hurt it. I am going to try to use it to do some normal digging, but I really want to try to use it to do some smoothing in a very bumpy area in the back. We will see and I will be sure to document everything and I will take more video.

Nice pic. I'm not familiar with the old ford mowers. What year is it? Did Ford make them, or somebody else make them for Ford? And to paraphrase that old saying, "A Front End Loader is Worth a Thousand Uses".

/ A day in the life of a Kubota BX25D #109  
Thanks for the info on the old Ford mowers. I'll have to check into them a little more, though I doubt I'll ever pick one up given I have a 1967 Wheel Horse I bought years ago to restore and about half of it is in a box in my basement. Just can seem to find the time to get back to the restore. Also have a 1993 Wheel Horse I still mow with. Heck, maybe Wheel Horse made some of the older Ford mowers. Ha.

Here's about where she stood when I got sidetracked on other things.

Attachments

• 1077 Retoration 004.JPG
    1077 Retoration 004.JPG
    721.3 KB · Views: 188
   / A day in the life of a Kubota BX25D #110  
I too have an old wheel horse I still mow the lawn with , not sure what year it is but 90 something , will have to dig out the paper work as I bought it new . They are a tough machine .