A different kind of STUCK!

/ A different kind of STUCK! #1  

dirtworksequip

Veteran Member
Tractor
2006 JD 3520 w/cab & 300CX loader. 1995 JD 870 w/440 loader & 8b backhoe.JD 455 w/54" mower deck.
Here's how I spent the 4th of July,1992 with a few friends. We didn't eat any hotdogs that day, but I'm the weiner on the CAT 935 with water about to run into the filler neck on the fuel tank. Believe it or not the CAT 941 would not pull me out. After getting unstuck I spent the following two days getting the mud cleaned off and a complete filter & oil change. Transmission,final drives,hyd oil & engine oil. Oh the fun you can have with a little mud and a machine.

Now that was stuck!

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q259/dirtworksequip/P1010028.jpg

/ A different kind of STUCK! #2  
The bigger they are the harder they stick. I am glad you did get out. How did you finally do it?

/ A different kind of STUCK! #3  
So your $200.00 "thing" would have got you out of that?

/ A different kind of STUCK!
kennyd
Yes, if I had one that would have mounted onto that particular machine. I don't have any plans of designing one for heavy equipment use.

/ A different kind of STUCK! #5  
The bigger they are, the more stuck they can get!!!!

I've posted this picture before, but it's still fun to share when the topic comes up. I was trying to get more done than I had daylight and knew there was a very bad spot in front of me, but I was being careful to not go over it. As it got darker out, I lost my landmarks and went too far.

It took me an entire day with the backhoe to dig it out. When I had all the dirt around the tracks removed, I still had to tunnel under it with a shovel to free the belly pans. Once they were clear, it drove right out.

Eddie

Attachments

• Dozer stuck in mud.  2005.jpg
    Dozer stuck in mud. 2005.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 4,003
Eddie, I feel the pain! It just going that little bit too far that gets you stuck.The worst part of when the my loader was stuck was that water was within 2 inches of running into the fuel tank, it was getting dark and it was calling for rain that night. So........it had to come out.

/ A different kind of STUCK! #7  
dirtworksequip said:
Eddie, I feel the pain! It just going that little bit too far that gets you stuck.The worst part of when the my loader was stuck was that water was within 2 inches of running into the fuel tank, it was getting dark and it was calling for rain that night. So........it had to come out.

I have a different kind of dozer experience. One of the tracks on a 13 ton dozer hit a large stump just right and blew out the track tensioner. Grease went everywhere. The dozer jumped the track. In the process of trying to get that track back on we somehow managed to knock the OTHER track off. A 13 ton dozer sitting in soft sand off both tracks is a fairly useless thing. It took 2 trucks, 8 people and a lot of chains and railroad ties to get the tracks back on. Even so the side with the blown tensioner was just a breath away from falling off. Loading it up the steep ramps onto the trailer was a scary job. Glad I didn't have to do it.

Jay, throwing a track isn't much fun. I've had both tracks off excavators before,but they are some what easier to get back on than a dozers tracks. The trick with the dozer would have been to place cribbing under the drawbar first and then lift the front of the machine off the ground with the blade and hopefully get the rear off too. Anyway you look at it, its lots of work. None of the steel track machines get anywhere near though of what it takes to get a rubber track back on one of the rubber tracked skidsteers. Major PITA!

/ A different kind of STUCK! #9  
You guys are bringing me down memory lane and all the things I hate about dozers!! :D I sure hope you don't start talking about blown engines next. :)

Here's a picture of my dozer when I lost a track. This is what sort of got me started on doing my own repairs. I had three diferent mechanics agree to come out and put it back on for me without a single one showing up. After about two weeks of this, I decided I had to figure it out and do it myself.

The track came off because two bolts that hold the lock together were missing. I never noticed as it wasn't something I had been checking. Then the remaining two bolts broke off. I had to take the track to a business that specializes in tracks and have them clean out the busted bolts and re-thread the holes. This took them half a day and with four new bolts, it cost me $100

I jacked up the dozer, blocked it up and then dug a nice trench under the sprocket and wheels to slide the track back under. I laid it out with my backhoe and slowly pushed it under with the backhoe. When it was all the way under, I hooked a chain onto the track and pulled it over the top.

I had already released all the tension, so it was pretty easy to line up the master link and bolt it back together.

If anybody is curious, I posted a thread on it a few years ago with more pictures.

Eddie

Attachments

• Track fell off the dozer..jpg
    Track fell off the dozer..jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 1,366
   / A different kind of STUCK! #10  
Eddie, For the reasons you hate dozers you must love backhoes. It seems yours fixes lots of dozer problems.:D
Jim