A different View of Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / A different View of Safety #1  

BrokenTrack

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tractors, Skidders, Bulldozers, Forestry Equipment
The topic of safety is an interesting one I guess, because I have a different approach to life...

I grew up riding the fenders of tractors, and my farmer-neighbors never once shooed me away, or even mentioned liability concerns. But then again, that is why I am a farmer, and mind you, not one with 2 goats and an apple tree either, but a real working farm. Still without those farmers back in the 70s and 80s letting me ride on their tractors all day, I probably would not have the love of agriculture that I do.

Today we shoo kids off tractors, and wonder why when they turn 18 they have no desire to work at all. Our goal as parents is not to coddle our children, but to teach them to be responsible adults. 200 years ago they were married and having kids at 15. Now they are not even "adults" at age 30, and we wonder why.

It is nice to see tractor manufacturers put buddy seats in cabs today, but good gracious man, the kids riding on tractor fenders today, will be the ones that feed us tomorrow. It seems people have forgotten that.

Incidentally, I do know what it is like to lose a son, but as you can see in the photos, now only having daughters does not stop me either, and at least one of my four daughters is headed into agriculture...

/ A different View of Safety #2  
I think you're leaving out the ones who couldn't grow up because they got plowed under.

/ A different View of Safety #3  
Broken Track, I wish more parents shared your views regarding parenting! Bob

/ A different View of Safety #4  
Having 5 daughters I can anticipate some of what you will be going through in the next several years (decades),
nice pics enjoy.

/ A different View of Safety #5  
Broken Track, easy understand and appreciate you thoughts there. I have lived some of those to some degree. I road the fender but would not do that with mine. However we have had our oldest and two of my grandsons on my left leg while using tractor. Will admit much of that time was low gear almost idling just riding around when them turning the steering wheel. Would I have done that with any speed, no way. When I got tractor with cab (not a compact) my youngest grandson was almost three and he road house on the fuse cover panel on the left fender with the protection of the cab.

Have there been children hurt or killed sadly yes. I grew up in small farm country, we only raised a few animals at the time. There have been those killed and injuried farming but I am not aware of any child killed with farm equipment. One who was worst hurt was probably 15 or so which was legal driving age then made too sharp a turn and rolled tractor in ditch and it rolled over on him. It left him with bone and joint problems. Lets also realize the tractors of yesterday were more open room for even adult to get hurt. About two years ago a mother in my area was cutting her yard with an infant riding on her lap or leg that fell off and lost a hand. It was a zero turn mower when most all have two steering levers so you need both hands on the controls, how did she expect to keep the child safe? Beyond belief.

But following Broken Track thoughts I very much understand and agree with the over all comments. We have to judge each situation and make wise decisions and sometimes we make dumb decision or the unlikely happens. But this is the thought process I have used for years, knowing how to use a knife. Think everyone would say a 50 year old should know how to safely and efficiently use a knife, right? Think we would also agree you would never try to train a 2 year with a true knife with a razor edge, right? So at what age do you begin and also how do you begin to train them? Much the same as anything in life, a gun or car or even walking safely in public. Hey today one of the greatest dangers they can face is the internet. As parents, grand parents even uncles we try to tell them, show them teach them and then we pray for them. We must be an example for them.

/ A different View of Safety #6  
You don't need to ride on the fender of an open tractor to have a love of agriculture. I've lived a long time and have known too many bad farm accidents to be comfortable with your statement. I'm retired now and we also operated a real working farm and why I make this statement.

While in HS a friend bounced his neighbor off the fender going down a grass lane and ran over him with the implement. Kind of stuck with me my working life. Right or wrong the dead persons kids still have bad feelings and refer to him as Killer to this day.

Last edited:
   / A different View of Safety #7  
Broken Track... :thumbsup:

/ A different View of Safety #8  
I have been twice thrown off a tractor fender. Both at the hands of inexperienced operators who had no business in the drivers seat. I have more issue with who operates equipment, than with the practice of riding on a fender.

/ A different View of Safety #9  
Yet each year thousands and thousands of children are hurt or worse...mostly by mowers and mostly in rural areas...

>>>...Each year, 800 children in the US alone, are run over by riding mowers or small tractors and more than 600 of those incidents result in amputation; 75 people are killed, and 20,000 injured; one in five deaths involves a child. For children under age 10, major limb loss is most commonly caused by lawn mowers.<<<

/ A different View of Safety #10  
Knew of a small child that went running toward his father on a riding mower to inform him of a phone call. Slipped on the wet grass and went under.

Tough call. You don't want to instill fear in children, fear that often stays with them for life, but you need to educate about danger.

Status
Not open for further replies.