A expensive warning

/ A expensive warning #1  

RADIUM

Gold Member
Tractor
NEW HOLLAND 2420
anyone who owns a supersweet cab 2420 3040 4060 or whatever they're calling them today, make sure you check your air conditioner tension pulley. At 350 hours mind flew off and destroyed my plastic fan and damage the Finns of the radiator core as it bounced around inside thank God no leaks. In a way it's my own fault about two weeks ago while giving the tractor a once over checking belts and hoses I noticed play in the pulley, the dealer at the time seemed to think it was normal it ain't !!! Lucky for me my friendly dealer and I will split the bill. So go out there and give her a shake if it has a lot of play Ripper her out of there before she rips out your heart and wallet :). Don't ask me why I'm laughing sometimes it's all you can do crazy things happen in life. I really can't complain in a little over a year I have put a lot of extreme heavy duty chores on this unit and she's never let me down no matter what I ask it to do even plowing the 50+ acres this spring while my case was down this is sort of a little hiccup, okay maybe a big hiccup but it could happen to any brand tractor . A picture of the new pulley it seems to have a rubber center around the bearing it must be for vibration, the rubber detaches and lets the pulley fly I wonder why it's not solid steel oh well just go out there keep your eye on it. Take care

Attachments

• new pulley_edited-1.jpg
    new pulley_edited-1.jpg
    358.2 KB · Views: 206
   / A expensive warning #2  
Sorry to hear what happend RADIUM and like the way you called it a hiccup ..... stuff happens right ?
Thanks to your warning it may not happen to someone else , and you can bet your butt I will be checking mine for play tomorrow.
take care , Lone Oak

/ A expensive warning
well unfortunately a little more bad news it did breach the radiator green funny fluid everywhere :-( now I'm not laughing it's going to get expensive I'll let you know total price when I'm done just check that pulley for movement, I think I'll change it every year not to have this happen again.

/ A expensive warning #4  
well unfortunately a little more bad news it did breach the radiator green funny fluid everywhere :-( now I'm not laughing it's going to get expensive I'll let you know total price when I'm done just check that pulley for movement, I think I'll change it every year not to have this happen again.

Maybe NH will look into making an adjustment since it seems to be a defective design.

You should not have to replace a tensioning pulley every year as preventive maintainence.

/ A expensive warning
well you know this time I really can't blame new Holland this is just a case of usage I put almost 220 hours this spring on the tractor in a very dusty and dirty environment,now before everyone gets upset and tells me it should last longer any bearing can be prone to fail in this kind of environment trust me my John Deere has went through many alternators rebuilds. Besides new Holland is being very fair I'm out of my warranty on these kind of parts they are considered wear and tear items, but they're picking up a good portion of the bill parts basically. I was only joking about changing the part every year ;-) to tell you the truth the new part looks a little beefier compared to the parts left on the tractor from the other destroyed tensioner. oh well it's given me some time to check everything over and fix my exhaust which will be a new thread wait to see what I've done :) :) :).

/ A expensive warning #6  
Did you run the exhaust up top some how where it should be ?

The fumes are not too bad usually but on ocassion with the back window open I get the station wagon effect and sometimes think about rigging a stack to get the exhaust up top where it wants to be. So I am hoping that is what you have done.

Good to hear New Holland is helping with the repairs you really do not have that many hours on it yet, I am pushing 400 hrs at 8 months old aready.

Take care RADIUM , hope you are up and running soon bud

/ A expensive warning #7  
We changed out a pulley and belt on a SuperSuite last week (without other damage). I reported this thread to the other guys in the shop. We will probably read and hear about more of this, apparently.

/ A expensive warning
hey Rick you have any idea what that core is made of and why is the pulley just not solid steel with the bearing welded in ? as far as the exhaust goes yes basically bringing it up next to the loader so it stops blasting the earth and making a cloud of dust which packs the air filter in about five passes on a dry day , I tried to explain this to the new Holland technical line and was told they have no vertical exhaust system available for my model. a 60 hp tractor that can't blow the smoke up and off the ground, nearly every other manufacturer offers a vertical exhaust just one more thing new Holland. this is why I'm buying a John Deere for a second tractor for the farm you lost my $$$$$ my dealer isn't happy I just can't take BS anymore, and it has nothing to do with this last episode any part can break its how they handle the exhaust issue two months basically telling me to go F.##### myself it's a very serious issue when you have to stop every hour and clean out the air element because the tractor's is choking to death, from the exhaust kicking up the dirt in front of the air intake nice design by the way, on a dry day it looks like I'm fogging the field. so now I'm paying someone to fabricate an exhaust that's just great but I really don't have a choice I have a lot of fields left to clear and July and August are very dry up here. By the way I'm looking at a 5093 cab limited with a 635 self-leveling loader a really good deal John Deere has lowered their price it seems and are ready to do business unlike years past. I will never sell my 2420 I love it I really honestly do I just wish new Holland would listen to the customer, it will just be my last new Holland product until I hear things change at the big NH I won't hold my breath ;-).

/ A expensive warning #9  
we think alike RADIUM , NH does need to think along the lines of real world field testing some more.
My baby JD 4110 has almost 2000 hrs on it with no problems except the cheap steel has rusted badly like on the fenders an hydro lines other than that you would not believe the abuse it has stood up to.

A frien of mine is going to retire from plowing in a year or so and give me his accounts and I was also thinking of maybe going with a Deere 6D series next tractor ( bere bones with a cab tractor but a great price compared to the 60 seriers tractor$$$ )

Please don't forget to let us know how the vertical exhaust works out , never could figure out why they run them out the bottom. On my little 4110 I have run the exhaust out through a rubber hose back to the ROPS and up with zip ties . looks but ugly but works and believe it or not it does not melt the rubber . Beats coughing my brains out on the dust and fumes, that little yanmar smokes more as it is getting up in hours but still runs strong .

/ A expensive warning
yeah matter of fact I have a phone picture not the best quality of the beginning of the process , one angle bending back towards the loader from underneath the hood and a flex pipe to take up the shaking that the loader will be doing he increased the pipe diameter for the increased distance so the turbo did not change the back pressure he figured we've added about 3 1/2 foot to the total pipe it was hard to believe until I realized how much that front muffler zigzags to get out the front. then Weld brackets to hold the pipe onto the loader for support he even heat painted it all-black and where you see the clamp at the flex pipe he welded a total professional job his weld looks factory better. He also has an idea once he has the right angles he could get a pipe made up at a muffler shop but he would just have to connect the assembly to the tractor block for support and you wouldn't need flex pipe between the muffler and the loader. I told him not to worry I have used flex pipe for years and never had a problem and not to worry, anyone that calculates the back pressure of a turbo I'm not too worried about his workmanship I guarantee when I show you the pictures of it done it'll look like it was there from the factory. I can ask him if he wants to make another one no problem it's up to him by the way he's 78 years old but still active and sharp as a tack. Like I said in many of my post I love my dealer not only is he a good friend but he really takes care of the customer I wish he sold green.

Attachments

• wr.jpg.jpeg
    wr.jpg.jpeg
    137 KB · Views: 173